FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cluster Swap?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my Focus is a USA car, it had DRL's already but im thinking about swaping the cluster so it reads km's.

If I put a cluster that came out of say a 250,000 KM car is that what it will read or will the cars computer correct it.

Now here's the kicker if it does correct it will it stay in miles?
i replaced the cluster on one of my focus and it had 250000kms, when i put the new cluster reading 138000kms it still reads 138000kms...so the computer doesnt change it....and i had this done where i work (ford dealer).....for the new cluster to work you gotta program it....u'll need 2 keys and a ford dealer.....Angry
When you swap the cluster itll have whatever the kms were on that cluster originally. So if you pick up a used one that has 130 000 on it and your current one says 212 000. Once you swap clusters itll read the 130 000. The cluster itself stores the kms/miles.

But! Try this...
Hold your reset button for 10 seconds then start your car itll bring up some options for your cluster in that small lcd screen. Keep hitting the reset button to cycle through the options. Theres something like 12 options or so. You can do a bulb test. Turn your lcd screen into a digital speedometer. Swap from kms - miles. s**t like that. Try it out. And then just swap
your guage cluster faceplate with a canadian one. Easy as pie to do
Hope that helps!
that will be able to show miles to km but km will not be shown once car is off.
i know because my kona was from the states.
Milage is saved to the cluster, not the computer....

And make sure you tell MTO about the swap, so their records stay accurate and you don't get red flagged for etest

And I have a cluster you can have, I believe it's an 00-02 version with orange needles

03-04 had red needles
I wish I had kept my old cluster now, it was very close to my current KM's. If I can change the miles to km I can live with the gauges as my MKX is from US as well and I don't mind if it doesn't show when it's off. I'll try it out tomorrow thanks guys.
Tried holding the reset button for 10 sec and I didn't have much luck. Nothing came on or changed? Does the car have to be on off cycle key first? Are there any other directions?
Wha Kona is talking about is the information feature on the cluster....

Car has to be on and you have to cycle through other features and will close once the car is turned off
Yaa the info center is what I want to read in KM. So just hold down that button that sticks out of the cluster right?
hold down the button (that resets your km's) with the ket in off position. then after holding the button start the car while still holding the button in. maybe hold it for 15 seconds. took me a couple tries to get it too.
The MTO doesn't need to know. You just need to keep proper documentation of the date of the cluster swap, and the KMs of each cluster at the swap. They COULD ask you to have that document notarized, but that's not usually required. When I sold my "S2 Sedan" to Stockfish Ford / traded for my 2007 ZX5, I just signed the paper certifying that the information was true.

I had that information verified years ago (as to procedure) by both OPP AND a local MTO rep.
(06-14-2012, 12:53 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]hold down the button (that resets your km's) with the ket in off position. then after holding the button start the car while still holding the button in. maybe hold it for 15 seconds. took me a couple tries to get it too.

I shall try that, Thank you