FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Did However Pick Up One Of These This Weekend!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: IMG_2223.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2224.jpg]

24 inch
I need this for all the freelance work i've been doing.

Just getting used to it now.

Nice rig, macs rule!
Nice looking rig but wow the glare from that screen :ph34r:

NefCanuck
that's a real purdy 'puter you got there.

Hope it treats you well in the long run.
Oooooo I see you have a black MacBook, did your hard drive go yet?
NefCanuck,Feb 9 2009, 12:28 PM Wrote:Nice looking rig but wow the glare from that screen :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280773[/snapback][/right]

anybody notice the shocker with the glare? or is it just me?
The glare is non existent when you're not blowing a flash of in it.

No glare at all.

And as for the macbook...nope o problems at all. hard drive has been great. (it's for traveling)
I understand the need for PCs (as insecure as they are). I understand the need for lights-out servers. I even understand the need for SSH/TTY-based DB servers and mainframes.

Macs? No idea. Zilch. To each their own.

It's shiny. It has an "alternative" OS. It has a mouse with one ball. I mean button.

I don't get it.
Nice setup. I like Macs, but never "owned" one, lol.
I have a Dell XPS m1730 which has a glossy screen.
It does have reflections in it, but the contrast is soooo much better. I could never go back to anti-glare screens. Well, for home LCD HDTV's I would/did ;)
We can see the glare even without your flash on (pic #2).

What r u freelancing in?
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 9 2009, 03:47 PM Wrote:I understand the need for PCs (as insecure as they are). I understand the need for lights-out servers. I even understand the need for SSH/TTY-based DB servers and mainframes.

Macs? No idea. Zilch. To each their own.

It's shiny. It has an "alternative" OS. It has a mouse with one ball. I mean button.

I don't get it.
[right][snapback]280789[/snapback][/right]

I'm the same way with PCs... never understood it, and don't care to understand them.
They're just too much trouble. I guess the ones I have been exposed to were crap. coming to a screeching halt while trying to complete the simplest of commands.

I guess I've had too many presentations ruined by them to bother.

Macs are industry standard for what I do (Art direction) it's just what we use.
they're fast, reliable and to this day, I've never had one fail me.

Not to mention they look good in any room. one screen, one wire. they're almost furniture.

to each their own...we've been down this road on here a million times. :lol:

darkpuppet,Feb 9 2009, 12:38 PM Wrote:that's a real purdy 'puter you got there.

Hope it treats you well in the long run.
[right][snapback]280774[/snapback][/right]

Yeah no kidding. Because if Jobs bites it (heaven forbid) this brand just won't be as good.
ANTHONYD,Feb 9 2009, 05:42 PM Wrote:to each their own...we've been down this road on here a million times. :lol:
[right][snapback]280802[/snapback][/right]

All the best to you with the new hardware, bud. :)

What exactly leads to a Mac being "industry standard" for advertising, now that their internals are 100% the same as the laptop and PC in my office? Software? I'm genuinely curious.
The reason they are an industry standard is because when you work on a 2,000 hour project the software on the mac may freeze once where as the software on a PC will freeze 30 with at least 2 catastrophic losses......I run almost nothing in the background on my mac which reduces the risk of a crash or a massive slow down , where as for the pc I cant say that.

Macs are machines built for the arts and media type person in the world, PCs are for the technical/business person.....

Anthony the reason I bring up the hard drive is because in my class (about 50 something students) we have 10 users that have the black book, all ten have had the HD go on them.

What are the specs of the mac you just bought?
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
1TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory
D-Dub,Feb 10 2009, 09: Wrote:The reason they are an industry standard is because when you work on a 2,000 hour project the software on the mac may freeze once where as the software on a PC will freeze 30 with at least 2 catastrophic losses......I run almost nothing in the background on my mac which reduces the risk of a crash or a massive slow down , where as for the pc I cant say that.

Macs are machines built for the arts and media type person in the world, PCs are for the technical/business person.....

Anthony the reason I bring up the hard drive is because in my class (about 50 something students) we have 10 users that have the black book, all ten have had the HD go on them.

What are the specs of the mac you just bought?
[right][snapback]280813[/snapback][/right]

It actually goes a little further back than that too.

Once upon a time, it actually came down to PC's, The Mac, and The Amiga.

The Mac, upon it's introduction was lambasted for it's monochrome screen and lack of memory for something using a GUI.... but cosidering that PC's did nothing of the sort at that time, it was the closest tool that people in the media industry had for simplifying their work.

And even as PC's began outpacing Macs in horsepower, there weren't any software programs out that made non-nerd's work easier. The first properly powerful video editing suite for the PC had no GUI, you had to program the whole bloody thing in REX -- a far cry from the video toaster.

Anyways... PC's were shooting for the generic market, Mac shot and found their niche. You couldn't find Photoshop and Quark Xpress fo the PC, and by the time they became available, it was too late. Mac is now so far entrenched in media that it'd take a major blunder to ruin it.

That being said.. why not go mac? It's PC-compatible now and the OS is better than windows in many regards.

It's nice to have a choice... and for the average consumer, the Mac is nearly a better alternative to learning a PC.
The Mac keeps trying to break away from it's "niche" label and while that may be a good thing for the company bottom line, I just wonder if they aren't risking getting run over by the PC steamroller.

I mean face it, until and unless the world suddenly decides en masse to go te dumb terminal, always connected to the web 24/7 route, Microsoft's OS is going to be the dominant player.

NefCanuck
Like I said earlier. I guess it's a designer computer. The whole experience from purchase to final use is amazing. All the components match, and speak to each other. I don't have sit for 3 days downloading drivers, anti, virus software, and anything else that is going to say, tell my modem to recognize my 3rd phone line.

As far as shopping goes....

I book a personal shopper on-line, walk into the store, get a personal show on how to use the machine, pick one and buy one. I don't even need to goto the counter. They swipe my payment right on the floor, and I walk out with a computer.

I don't need to wait 3 weeks for it, or for someone to build it, drive out to Tiger Direct to buy cables, and a better monitor etc.
Not to mention, I bring in my old computer and they transfer files for free right before my eyes. Even though this is one cable and about 3 seconds to complete, No fuss no muss. I go home with a computer that needs nothing more than a power source.

Now when it comes to my programs, it's a no brainer. The programs are designed to work on Macs so use is a snap. I don't need to set my print drivers up differently, colours are industry standard, keyboard commands are standard (I don't need to learn new ones) etc...

I can work 3 hours on a project and not worry about my computer crapping out on me at any given moment. It automatically saves my work, and if for whatever reason the power goes out, it picks up right where I left off.

I think what it comes down to is PCs are built for a completly different kind of user. If you like to build s*** out of Meccano and tinker with stuff, PCs are for you. If you like to use your computer trouble free and have it be reliable, and actually accomplish something...Macs are the way to go. My time is too valuable to worry about upgrading my sound card.

Like I said beofre, I've had way too many presentations come to an awkward screeching halt because of a computer that just doesn't perform. I like to make myself look stupid, I don't need a computer to do it for me.

Have a look at the Apple commercials.... they're not far off.

To each their own.

A.
You raise some very good points Anthony and in fact there is a whole category of PC's now that are trying their darndest to be "Mac Like"

I saw at Costco an HP touch screen PC that was at it's heart an all in one PC attached to a touchscreen 24" wide and a keyboard and mouse attached to that, no muss and no fuss (It ran Vista Media Centre edition IIRC) very stylish and for a user that only wants the thing to work and cares nothing about upgradeability it would be a fine product.

Me? I practice "Reduce, Reuse Recycle" whenever I can and the PC allows that where a Mac can't (My PC case for instance dates back to '03 but the guts have been renewed at least once and the old parts recycled)

Having said that, doing almost any sort of "hardward refreshing" on a PC requires, time, patience, money and a bottle of Tylenol :lol:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 10 2009, 11:34 AM Wrote:Having said that, doing almost any sort of "hardward refreshing" on a PC requires, time, patience, money and a bottle of Tylenol :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280830[/snapback][/right]

My point exactly....
I'd also like to raise the point that the Mac I replaced was 9 years old and was still functional. (I actually used it to do real work with) What I'm trying to say is, though Macs are not as "upgradable" par say, they do last a helluva lot longer than a PC.
ANTHONYD,Feb 10 2009, 11:38 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Feb 10 2009, 11:34 AM Wrote:Having said that, doing almost any sort of "hardward refreshing" on a PC requires, time, patience, money and a bottle of Tylenol :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280830[/snapback][/right]

My point exactly....
I'd also like to raise the point that the Mac I replaced was 9 years old and was still functional. (I actually used it to do real work with) What I'm trying to say is, though Macs are not as "upgradable" par say, they do last a helluva lot longer than a PC.
[right][snapback]280832[/snapback][/right]

exactly true...

The Mac needs PC's to drive hardware development, and PC's need macs to drive usability and software.
Pages: 1 2 3