FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oh fawk another focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys its been awhile since I have posted on here (2years I think)
So hello.

Anyways I told myself that my 08 focus was going to be the last focus in the driveway but my wifes 06 Malibu is a money pit and we are looking at a new car.
Since my 08 has been trouble free I was thinking about getting her a 2012. The prices seem good on them but they seem to still be lacking in the power departmentDodgy
So my question is are there any specific packages that are worth looking at? I noticed that the se has a sport package with rear disks and different wheels, is there anything else im missing?

Thanks in advance for any help
Of course, if your wife can drive a stick, the 252 hp ST is coming out shortly..... The 2012 has 160 hp, all of them. The car is a bit heavier than the old Focus, and the car is programmed for fuel economy, so the drag race from the stop light isn't as quick as it used to be, unless you really want to push it off the line.The SE with the sport package is very popular, the SEL and Titanium also have rear disc brakes. You can "personalize" the 2012 to the nth degree, depending on what you want to spend. The interior options, and entertainment options are pretty good as well.If you want the automatic transmission, one thing to remember is that it isn't an automatic, it's a Dual Clutch Transmission......The DCT also has three modes of using the tranmission, D, for best fuel economy, S for a more old fashioned sportier drive, and you can also shift for yourself, using a little toggle switch on the side of the shift lever.It isn't a paddle shift, but it's pretty good anyhow.I have had one for almost a year now, and am extremely pleased with the car. It isn't the same as your old Focus, it has become a more "mature" vehicle. Around town, it's a nice comfortable good looking car. On the highway, it's a great cruiser. It's just as good, or better than the old Focus when you push it around on the "twisties", so yes, it can still be fun. It is a nicer car than the old Focus, by far. Although at first, I missed the "driver feedback" (noise) that my old Focus had, I enjoy driving my 2012 every time I get in it.

A couple of little items, the 2012 has the same size fuel tank as the old one, but, will go a lot farther on a tank. The car is capable of running on premium fuel and will give you even better gas mileage than regular. If you do purchase one, with an automatic transmission, make sure it's had all of the software updates, if you test one ask the salesman if the transmission updates have been done. Also, the MyFordTouch system, which is the fancy voice controlled, touch screen control centre for all things electronic for the entertainment and comfort system, as well as Sync, has also had a software update, so make sure that has been done.

If I haven't answered your questions completely, you can PM me.
+1 for everything oldeguy said. I've driven them, and while I'm not about to drop everything to buy one... I /would/ buy one.

Also, depending on what her needs are, consider a nicely-equipped Fiesta. After the transmission update, they're quite respectable performers and closely mimic the feel of a first-gen Focus hatch (seeing as they're much closer to that driving style than the new Mk3 Focus hatches).
Also, I've seen a dyno of a new 2012 with a catback exhaust, and cold air intake make 175hp to the wheels
(06-20-2012, 09:32 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]Of course, if your wife can drive a stick, the 252 hp ST is coming out shortly..... The 2012 has 160 hp, all of them. The car is a bit heavier than the old Focus, and the car is programmed for fuel economy, so the drag race from the stop light isn't as quick as it used to be, unless you really want to push it off the line.The SE with the sport package is very popular, the SEL and Titanium also have rear disc brakes. You can "personalize" the 2012 to the nth degree, depending on what you want to spend. The interior options, and entertainment options are pretty good as well.If you want the automatic transmission, one thing to remember is that it isn't an automatic, it's a Dual Clutch Transmission......The DCT also has three modes of using the tranmission, D, for best fuel economy, S for a more old fashioned sportier drive, and you can also shift for yourself, using a little toggle switch on the side of the shift lever.It isn't a paddle shift, but it's pretty good anyhow.I have had one for almost a year now, and am extremely pleased with the car. It isn't the same as your old Focus, it has become a more "mature" vehicle. Around town, it's a nice comfortable good looking car. On the highway, it's a great cruiser. It's just as good, or better than the old Focus when you push it around on the "twisties", so yes, it can still be fun. It is a nicer car than the old Focus, by far. Although at first, I missed the "driver feedback" (noise) that my old Focus had, I enjoy driving my 2012 every time I get in it.

A couple of little items, the 2012 has the same size fuel tank as the old one, but, will go a lot farther on a tank. The car is capable of running on premium fuel and will give you even better gas mileage than regular. If you do purchase one, with an automatic transmission, make sure it's had all of the software updates, if you test one ask the salesman if the transmission updates have been done. Also, the MyFordTouch system, which is the fancy voice controlled, touch screen control centre for all things electronic for the entertainment and comfort system, as well as Sync, has also had a software update, so make sure that has been done.

Thank you for the info oldguy!
I definitely think the 2012's look very nice, the sedan finally looks good. I had no idea that they where a dct, kinda cool. Im going to go test driving today and tomorrow, ill send you a pm after the drive if you dont mind.
(06-21-2012, 02:22 AM)Canadian ST Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2012, 09:32 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]Of course, if your wife can drive a stick, the 252 hp ST is coming out shortly..... The 2012 has 160 hp, all of them. The car is a bit heavier than the old Focus, and the car is programmed for fuel economy, so the drag race from the stop light isn't as quick as it used to be, unless you really want to push it off the line.The SE with the sport package is very popular, the SEL and Titanium also have rear disc brakes. You can "personalize" the 2012 to the nth degree, depending on what you want to spend. The interior options, and entertainment options are pretty good as well.If you want the automatic transmission, one thing to remember is that it isn't an automatic, it's a Dual Clutch Transmission......The DCT also has three modes of using the tranmission, D, for best fuel economy, S for a more old fashioned sportier drive, and you can also shift for yourself, using a little toggle switch on the side of the shift lever.It isn't a paddle shift, but it's pretty good anyhow.I have had one for almost a year now, and am extremely pleased with the car. It isn't the same as your old Focus, it has become a more "mature" vehicle. Around town, it's a nice comfortable good looking car. On the highway, it's a great cruiser. It's just as good, or better than the old Focus when you push it around on the "twisties", so yes, it can still be fun. It is a nicer car than the old Focus, by far. Although at first, I missed the "driver feedback" (noise) that my old Focus had, I enjoy driving my 2012 every time I get in it.

Thank you for the info oldguy!
I definitely think the 2012's look very nice, the sedan finally looks good. I had no idea that they where a dct, kinda cool. Im going to go test driving today and tomorrow, ill send you a pm after the drive if you dont mind.

Pm's always welcomed.
(06-20-2012, 11:23 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]+1 for everything oldeguy said. I've driven them, and while I'm not about to drop everything to buy one... I /would/ buy one.

Also, depending on what her needs are, consider a nicely-equipped Fiesta. After the transmission update, they're quite respectable performers and closely mimic the feel of a first-gen Focus hatch (seeing as they're much closer to that driving style than the new Mk3 Focus hatches).

Thanks nos for the info, I definitely will not buy a smaller car then the focus I find my 08 to small but its just a car to get me from a to b.

Is the handling better with the 12's? I do have to admit that when i put summer tires on my 08 it handles the corners well for a economy car.

Do you still have your escape?
(06-21-2012, 12:06 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I've seen a dyno of a new 2012 with a catback exhaust, and cold air intake make 175hp to the wheels

175hp in a focus sounds good, i noticed steeda has a cai and it 12 hp gain.Big Grin

But this will be my wifes car and most likely the automatic so I don't think any mods will happen....Dodgy
(06-21-2012, 12:06 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I've seen a dyno of a new 2012 with a catback exhaust, and cold air intake make 175hp to the wheels

175hp in a focus sounds good, i noticed steeda has a cai and it 12 hp gain.Big Grin

But this will be my wifes car and most likely the automatic so I don't think any mods will happen....Dodgy
Wife's car. HA!!!! I doubt that will happen. Once the mod bug hits it is hard to shake.
All the reviews I read spoke well about the 12`s handling. The suspension hasn`t been changed, just made better. Despite the extra weight, the car handles very well. Ask ZTWsquared what he thought about the one he drove around Mosport last summer......The Titanium has a sport tuned suspension, so it`ll be a little stiffer ride, and more for insurance. The SE with sports appearance package uses the standard suspension with disc brakes all round. Your wife will enjoy the new Focus, you too, if she`ll let you drive itBig Grin
Yup, still have the Escape. It's fullfilling DD duties for me right now. Still looking to get rid of it, but not in as much of a rush about that anymore.

We completely reworked the exhaust. It's about 90% of the way to where I want it. Next up in the coming months is a new intake for it and hopefully a tune (again) - a proper tune.
So yesterday and today I test drove a few different cars.
Matrix xs 2.4 , nice car but boring to drive.
Jetta 2.5 , to pricey with options
Mazada 3 2.0, nice car but i hate the front end, the interior is nice.
Fusion 2.5, new model comes out soon so never mind.
Focus se 2.0, with sport package.

Well of the cars i drove the jetta seemed the fastest but once you start looking at the different packages its more then my wife deserves.

I was really impressed with the new focus, its definitely bigger on the inside and the seats are very comfortable and have good lateral support. The dct is better then I thought it would be, the shifts are very smooth and the sport mode holds the gear longer and shifts in the redline.

The handling is good, the car corners very flat but it also soaks up the big bumps nicely. The power is still not great but it is definitely faster then my 08. I took it on the highway and i was surprised at how quite the car is at speed, even at over 120 the rpms are low and the car has no problem passing.

So it looks like I'm going to pick up a new car tomorrow, just have to decide what options to get.
Sport package for sure.
Sync
Dct since its going to be my wifes.
I've got the Titanium with the sport package, and the SEL we rented last summer was actually quieter. With that said, I wouldn't trade the sport package or the 18's for anything. Maybe in the winter though... Smile As for the DCT and MFT... my transmission is worked in and became much smoother (and yet I am still lacking one update for it), and the MFT has been working just fine. I did have some issues with it going into dealer transport mode a couple times in the first week of ownership... but it hasn't given me any issues since.
(06-22-2012, 09:56 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got the Titanium with the sport package, and the SEL we rented last summer was actually quieter. With that said, I wouldn't trade the sport package or the 18's for anything. Maybe in the winter though... Smile As for the DCT and MFT... my transmission is worked in and became much smoother (and yet I am still lacking one update for it), and the MFT has been working just fine. I did have some issues with it going into dealer transport mode a couple times in the first week of ownership... but it hasn't given me any issues since.

I saw a sedan se with the sport pack and the 18in 5 spokes and they looked slick!
I still can't believe the width, 235/40/18! Man thats got to drain some power?
(06-22-2012, 10:44 AM)Canadian ST Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2012, 09:56 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got the Titanium with the sport package, and the SEL we rented last summer was actually quieter. With that said, I wouldn't trade the sport package or the 18's for anything. Maybe in the winter though... Smile As for the DCT and MFT... my transmission is worked in and became much smoother (and yet I am still lacking one update for it), and the MFT has been working just fine. I did have some issues with it going into dealer transport mode a couple times in the first week of ownership... but it hasn't given me any issues since.

I saw a sedan se with the sport pack and the 18in 5 spokes and they looked slick!
I still can't believe the width, 235/40/18! Man thats got to drain some power?

Price an SEL, you get more interior stuff, and a nicer looking interior as well, check out the 17 inch polished alloy wheels also. The only thing you don't get is the spoiler. Anyone you pick will be a good choice, and your wife is gonna have to become a FC.net member....
Yup, SE with Sport package is the sweet spot for Focus enthusiasts who want a contender right off of the factory/showroom floor. Don't think you need the larger price tag of the Focus ST? There you go.
(06-22-2012, 11:21 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, SE with Sport package is the sweet spot for Focus enthusiasts who want a contender right off of the factory/showroom floor. Don't think you need the larger price tag of the Focus ST? There you go.

Yeah the se with the sport package seems to be a good mix of options, the uprgaded seats and rear disks are worth the $500 the wheels are nice too.

As far as the ST, 30k for a Focus seems a little high. For a little more you could get a wrx.
Well my wife got her car last night, 2012 focus se sedan with the sport pack, sync and the 18in wheels.

Very nice car, certainly have come along way since my 08.
Ill take some pictures tomorrow.
Congrats!! Looking forward to pics, what colour did you guys go with?
(06-24-2012, 02:22 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats!! Looking forward to pics, what colour did you guys go with?

Thanks euro!
Well the colour was my wife's pic! Its some candy blue, kind of a lite blue metallic.
I don't really know if I like it but my wife loves it so that's all that counts (to her)
I still can't believe that the stock tire size is 235/40/18, and its still faster then my 08!

Anyways I'm excited, can't wait to drive it.
(06-24-2012, 02:32 AM)Canadian ST Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2012, 02:22 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats!! Looking forward to pics, what colour did you guys go with?

Thanks euro!
Well the colour was my wife's pic! Its some candy blue, kind of a lite blue metallic.
I don't really know if I like it but my wife loves it so that's all that counts (to her)
I still can't believe that the stock tire size is 235/40/18, and its still faster then my 08!

Anyways I'm excited, can't wait to drive it.

Congratulations, It'll stand out amongst all the greys and whites and blacks. I think yours is the same as eurozx5, I mean your wife's. Maybe, to create marital harmony, you'll have to buy another one.
Pages: 1 2