FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Plasti-Dip my rims
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
eventual goal is to do the gold metallizer to get a golden/bronze effect...

but for now it's flat black and here's what they look like!

this is after 2 out of 4 cans. I fudged up the back left rim's centre, looks like it was oversprayed... oops :\

[Image: 538521_3197389987302_984952880_n.jpg]

another one of our members plasti dipped his roof Big Grin up to him to post pics
SWEET did you do just the front or did you do the basket aswell
Looks good. Where did you get the product from? I still have a non-aerosol can I used a long time ago for re-coating the metal wire looms under my old `68 Dodge. I've also made custom metal looms and plastic dipped the ends in an old computer case mod I did. Stuff is great. Aerosol would be awesome.
got it from the canadian official plasti dip vendor over in Gatineau

i must've not let it cure long enough or put on a thick enough coat because as soon as I put the rims on my car, the socket put a gash in the finish on two rims.

Sucks but oh well. Paid 60$ for 4 cans, used 3. I'll go over them again with the rims on the car - ill shove some newspaper in it to cover the mechanical parts of the car.
as for the basket, you mean the inside of the rim? no, I didn't do them. they are fairly oversprayed though. It looks mean on the car, flat black rims look real nice. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably just get them powder coated. I also had a bunch of overspray in the middle section of the rim where the lug nuts go

Overall, looks good from far but far from good.

and the 4 cans were aerosol cans.
I plasti-dipped my svt 5 spokes awhile ago, went over to dearborn and cleared the home depot out of cans bought 15 cans of it. Only cost me about 30 bucks all together.
As you wish Luc lol, heres a few pics of the roof dipped,not the greatest but its done lol

[Image: dip1.jpg]
[Image: dip2.jpg]
[Image: dip3.jpg]

You see the streaks but kinda expected with a can job lol
lay down more coats on the roof. you can get a very consistant job with the plasti dip. my old Boss at PI guelph did his entire mazda 323 he just finished building and the paint is for the most part flawless and looks professional except where a gas spill ate some away by his filler cap.

I have done a couple sets of wheels and other stuff for friends as well. it goes on super easy and has high fill so you wont get drips unless you really dont know what your doing and over coat it.
if you want plasti dip you can go to home hardware and get them to order it for you, that is how i got my cans...
just give them the part number - m #5412-109
tell them how many cans you want and they call you when they are in
its about $20 a can
yeah, most home hardwares that i've been to have it in stock. I know the Rockland one does, and it's $19.99/can. i did my sway bars and end links with plasti dip.
From the dip your car canada, he charges 15$ flat a can
why spend the money of 20 dollars or 15 when i'm sure most of you live towards the toronto area and can go across the border to a home depot where can's are 5.99 or cheaper ?? I went across and made it worth while like i said getting 15 cans. $20 a can is a rip off
I dont live next to the border, the closest is almost 3 hours, ill pay the 15$ hahaha
(06-22-2012, 10:22 AM)0XDESVT Wrote: [ -> ]$20 a can is a rip off

Sure is, but its convenient for me to walk in a store 2 minutes from my door, and be back in my garage spraying whatever 10 minutes later. A 4 hour cross border trip is not worth me saving a few dollars on a can of paint.
I may have to stop off and grab a few when I'm down there next.
(06-26-2012, 11:23 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]I may have to stop off and grab a few when I'm down there next.

What colour do you want?
(06-26-2012, 11:37 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 11:23 AM)Scorcher000 Wrote: [ -> ]I may have to stop off and grab a few when I'm down there next.

What colour do you want?

I'd love some white and black like an oreo lol PM on the way
careful with bringing it back to canadia, the formula for the american plasti dip contains a chemical and is classified as "dangerous goods" up here, or something like that. just an FYI
(06-28-2012, 09:50 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]careful with bringing it back to canadia, the formula for the american plasti dip contains a chemical and is classified as "dangerous goods" up here, or something like that. just an FYI

I'm pretty sure that's in relation to the propellant only - and then only with respect to declaring it for commercial transportation purposes. I've never had any problem bringing it back in my own vehicle and I've been buying Plasti-dip in the US for almost 10 years now - granted when I first started buying it, it was just the can you actually dipped stuff into to LOL; half my tools have plasti-dip on the handle.
PI has plastidip FYI

i can get it for a good price too, without having to cross borders