FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2012 focus fuel mileage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife's offices moved and she now has to take our SUV to work rather than the bus. Were looking at getting something better on fuel and wanted to ask the guys with the 2012 focus what kind of KM's are you getting on a tank of gas. What size of tank is the new focus?

Give you an idea of what were getting with the SUV, 80L of fuel, gets us about 450km. Ouch.
(06-21-2012, 11:13 PM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]My wife's offices moved and she now has to take our SUV to work rather than the bus. Were looking at getting something better on fuel and wanted to ask the guys with the 2012 focus what kind of KM's are you getting on a tank of gas. What size of tank is the new focus?

Give you an idea of what were getting with the SUV, 80L of fuel, gets us about 450km. Ouch.

Fuel tank is the same size as the 2000 Focus, 12 US gallons. Using 87 octane fuel, I get about 640 kms, on mixed driving, city highway and some rush hour. Using 91 octane fuel, I'm getting 710 kms, same type of driving. Apparently, the ECM can sense the fuel octane and adjust for maximum performance and economy. On a trip from Bowmanville to Ottawa, with four adults and all there luggage, with the A/C on, I averaged 42 mpgs.....using 91 octane. Go get one.
So...45L tank...710km's. Thats pretty sweet, not TDI sweet, but pretty close.
thanks not bad as I'm only getting about 550kms with my current 2002 focus... I wonder if the MPG is slightly better with the Ecco focus, or one with a 5 speed
(06-21-2012, 11:49 PM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]So...45L tank...710km's. Thats pretty sweet, not TDI sweet, but pretty close.

Also, the aftermarket community is starting to bring out performance modification products which, used properly MAY increase fuel mileage. The 710 is using 91 octane. The 640 is still pretty good, and the car has more personalityand looks than any TDI product................
Holy fawk dude, what kind of SUV? Even hot-shoeing the Escape in town I get over 400KMs on 50-55L of 87 octane.

2008 Escape, 200HP V6, 4WD, 4-speed auto (pre-09 upgrades, which get 240HP V6 and 6-spd), custom flex-back exhaust and the RX-8 rims with 255/55R18 Destination ST sport truck tires.
Damn... i'm only seeing 8.8L/100Kms (26.7MPG) with my 2012. I guess the 18's have something to do with my mileage... ah well. lol I'm just passed 5000kms on her, so i'm guessing the mileage should continue to get better?
(06-22-2012, 10:02 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Damn... i'm only seeing 8.8L/100Kms (26.7MPG) with my 2012. I guess the 18's have something to do with my mileage... ah well. lol I'm just passed 5000kms on her, so i'm guessing the mileage should continue to get better?

I drive like an old man most days.......with a very light foot
(06-22-2012, 10:02 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Damn... i'm only seeing 8.8L/100Kms (26.7MPG) with my 2012. I guess the 18's have something to do with my mileage... ah well. lol I'm just passed 5000kms on her, so i'm guessing the mileage should continue to get better?

You've got a bit to wait yet, bud. Most Foci don't really come into their own till near 10K I've found. After two oil changes, start tracking your fuel economy. Also, are you running synthetic? I find the newer Ford engines LOVE IT.
I still haven`t changed the oil yet, apparently it`s supposed to be changed at 8000k on these newer foci. And I try to drive smooth to get good mileage... lol