FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cordless Drill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you're a tool guy like me, and I know more than a few of you are, you'll agree that there is no such thing as "too many cordless drills."

Here's my collection, minus a couple I've lent out:

[Image: 100_0343.jpg]

The subject of this product review are the two smaller drills in the foreground.

The DeWalt 12v Lithium Ion has been a revelation in terms of how much torque it delivers from such a lightweight, comfortable and small package. It's not like the 150 ft lbs from the big one, but it will drive a 2 1/2" screw into the hardest wood without hesitation and with a nice little wrist turn at the end before the clutch lets out.

The battery lasts a long, long time (days really) and gives full power right up to the end and charges in less than an hour.

It has 2 power settings, one for speed and one for torque, and the 15 clutch settings offer small but accurate increments; and the keyless chuck holds tight without a lot of effort required. The integral LED light comes in handy more often than you'd think.

I give it an 8 out of 10 - deducting points only because of the cost - this one which is a basic model costs $90.
[Image: 100_0345.jpg]

The small blue drill is an even more interesting tool and I found it completely by accident.

It too is Lithium Ion but just 7.2v. The blue material is a soft-touch rubberized plastic of some sort and not only does it protect the drill from damage, it is really very comfortable to hold. The angle of the handle to the drill head also seems very well thought out - it's easy to keep it pointed straight when applying pressure.

It's a simple tool, very small and very light with a nice keyless chuck and a good 15 position clutch with drill setting - forward and reverse and neutral lockout.

As you would expect with Li-Io it carries a charge for a long time and it has enough power to drive screws into softwood but it is perfectly suited for tightening small nuts and bolts and absolutely perfect for things like assembling Ikea furniture ... which leads me to where I got it.

Yup, it's an Ikea product. The carrying case matches all the other Ikea cases for a nice storage solution, but here's the best thing - at just $24 it's a real bargain IMHO. 10 out of 10.
[Image: 100_0346.jpg]
Quite the collection Ken lol

I just got my first cordless set, picked up a ridgid 18v set from home depot. So far i'm shocked at the torque, only time will tell if I can live with the runtime. We always ran milwaukee cordless hammer drills at work, and I was always amazed at the runtime of them... never ending power. I hope my ridgid set is half as good.
I've really liked the 28.8V Panasonic hammer drill we've been using. Although nothing compares to Hilti anything.