FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Going to court.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So im going to court to lower a ticket or possibly get rid of it all together , ita my first time going so what should I do , everyone says plead guilty and they usually lower it. I got pulled over merging on to the exspress way , doing 120 in a 100 also I was going up a hill. So yea I have no idea what to say so any help will be appreciated.
(06-25-2012, 03:29 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]So im going to court to lower a ticket or possibly get rid of it all together , ita my first time going so what should I do , everyone says plead guilty and they usually lower it. I got pulled over merging on to the exspress way , doing 120 in a 100 also I was going up a hill. So yea I have no idea what to say so any help will be appreciated.

For a few years now the Crown Attorneys have been "meeting" with folks just prior to the first appearance. They talk to you about lowering the charges and fines and make it sound like they're being fair to you. But in reality it's all about reducing the load on the courts. They will either flat out state or strongly hint that their offer may be a one-time offer only. This isn't true.

But the fact is the fines are just the tip of the iceberg - it's your future added insurance costs that will be the real cost.

If this is your first appearance then I'd recommend you wait your turn in front of the judge and ask for time to "get a lawyer" ... (it will usually be 4 to 8 weeks depending on the court) but make sure you ask for a couple of months) then contact one of those x-copper type of organizations and talk to them about your case.

My wife, who got lost driving her dad to a downtown hospital for his dialysis, was charged with an illegal u-turn, failing to stop at a stop sign, not having her ownership etc ... it cost about 400 to have x-copper represent her, but they managed to have all charges dropped.

The fines might have been a bit less than the cost of representation, but in the long run it probably saved us a lot in insurance.
I completely agree with Ken. Last year I got nabbed with 21 over and a burnt out headlight. Went to Ticket Defenders. Sure it cost me $400 but the buddy got me both of those tickets dropped. He found some mistakes in cop's notes. Great success! I'd reither pay 4 bills than see my insurance go up.

By the way go and ask for police officer's disclosure (aka his notes).
Yes always stand up against any ticket. A family member of mine in the force says, "you never know if the cop will either loose the paper work, not be able to make it or be killed the line of duty or not."

This is serious situation though. Insurance will increase and it will cost you more in the end.

I always here the defending companies like Xcopper can help and do well at it too. I choose to stand for myself and speak to the court as you sign in to the room before the judge enters. I've always had it drop to nothing Told, we are giving you a warning, or the officer doesn't show up.

The best was for a noise complaint ticket. Went and started joking around with a couple of people outside of the room before court. They disappear and I walk in. It turns out the main guy I was joking around with was the Judge and he had it thrown out right when I walked in. You never know what could happen to you...

X-copper works wonders! Just go in with your ticket and explain what happened and they've got amazing lawyers! haha i've used them a couple times.

1. They lowered my 36kms/h in a 100km zone to a 16km/h over to reduce points and fines.
2. Rear ended someone a while back, got a careless driving charge (which is 6 points and $480 fine i believe), the came back with a following to close and I said I wanted it lower and ended up walking away with an unsafe stop (which is 1 or 2 points and $80 fine).

So yes, X-copper does work wonders! Mind you, you gotta pay X-copper then your fine afterwards as well, I cant remember exactly how much they were off hand, but you get a free consultation and they will give a price then. (its nothing outrageous like thousands of dollars, usually a couple hundred...my careless was $400 plus hst i think...or around that price, while the speeding was only a couple hundred).

But you can also go in yourself and plead you case, it usually still gets dropped to something lower and saves you money. If its your first ticket they tend to be easier on you as well. Hope that helps! and good luck!!!
got the 122 in a 100 dropped just had to pay for the failure to show proof of insurance.
I bought my wife a new van. I decided to drive her old one instead of the Focus that's got some chamber problems. She brought in the ownership/insurance papers into the dealership and put them back in her purse. I couldn't see driving on HWY 7 because the sun was in my eyes. Decided to follow someone, because I was having no luck even staying in my own lane. Three of us went from a 70 to a 50. Never saw the sign. I got clocked at 71. There's a 4x4 post about 50 feet in front of the sign that blocks the view too. The cop was nice enough to write up for failing to produce insurance/ownership/21km over/and my wife never put the sticker on the van like I told her to. Hate having my birthday on the 3rd. Makes me think I'm good for the entire month, but no, the sticker is only good until one's birthday. I'm going to court. If they want my money, let it cost them too.
(06-29-2012, 11:14 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]got the 122 in a 100 dropped just had to pay for the failure to show proof of insurance.

that's a good outcome IMHO - good for you.
yea it was a good outcome no points lost. I just had to pay $120 for the failure to show insurance. I think they dropped the speeding because the some how lost the ticket even though I sent them both in together lol. But I deserved to get both of them dropped after the morning O had lol some guy backed out of his drive way and failed to see the bright yellow car parked on the road and totaly messed my back door up now I dont have my car for a couple days.
(07-02-2012, 03:05 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]yea it was a good outcome no points lost. I just had to pay $120 for the failure to show insurance. I think they dropped the speeding because the some how lost the ticket even though I sent them both in together lol.

good it worked out for you. as for 'losing tickets' the cop has his copy so unless he lost it, has nothing to do with what you sent in.