FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: School me on super chargers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, a JRSC showed up nearby...

And I wanna know everything I should know about buying a used SC. This will be my first time playing with one and idk what I'm doing.

Any advice? I have no other details yet except price, 1000$. What questions do I ask, what do I look for? How much should I pay?

Edit 50 000km never seen winter
1. Do a compression check on your engine if you can.
2. Make sure seller's kit has everything.
3. Is it upgraded JRSC kit? SVT air box and snorkle?
4. JRSC come non-intercooled. Keep that in mind.
5. You might want to get head race header and bigger flex-pipe to get more pontential power out of S/C
(07-19-2012, 12:43 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]1. Do a compression check on your engine if you can.
2. Make sure seller's kit has everything.
3. Is it upgraded JRSC kit? SVT air box and snorkle?
4. JRSC come non-intercooled. Keep that in mind.
5. You might want to get head race header and bigger flex-pipe to get more pontential power out of S/C

Further to this: the only one worth getting is the JRSC BBK (big blower kit) and you will definitely need the 42 lb injectors that are supposed to be with the kit and you will definitely need to invest in a tune - this kit is dangerous on a stock tune.

Additionally superchargers need to be rebuilt on a regular basis, so unless you can actually hear this one turning and see the boost it produces, you will be taking a bit of a risk that it's time has ended.

If you can, look at the edges of the scrolls and make sure they are clean and straight and not pitted or corroded. Also make sure it turns easily and there is no looseness or wobbling at the pulley.

Also: the JRSC BBK develops a tremendous amount of underhood heat and it will also significantly increase the intake air temps which will reduce the power it produces (look up: volumetric efficiency).

Superchargers by their design use engine power to produce power - and so, if you're lucky, while you might get 200 hp to the wheels the engine has to generate an additional 25 or 30 hp just to turn the supercharger - which means the engine is working harder than what you feel at the wheels - and so your engine needs to be up to that task.

For both of the above reasons I recommend using a water-meth injection system which has two positive effects - it significantly increases the octane level of any gas which allows you to use 87 without fear of detonation, and it significantly reduces the intake air temps - both of which allows the tuner to maximize timing advance for more hp.

To that last point, one final change I highly recommend for the sake of keeping your engine intact. Move the intake air temp sensor into the intake portion of the supercharger - in its stock location it will not get an accurate reading because it will not include the added temps from the supercharger itself; that you can only get if the sensor is "downside" of the supercharger. It's easy and cheap to do and it will give the ECU the proper info it needs to keep the engine safe.

Good luck
Aaaaaand that's what you should know about JRSC Smile
If im not mistaking massive makes a pulley kit for this sc do they not?
JRSC is a good quality component, I've seen them go a long time before needing a rebuild, but yes make sure it is in good shape physically. You want all the mounting parts, because they'll probably be a #$#%$ to source for an old part/car model.

Also remember its not just the $1000 for the S/C its all the other bits and do-dads your going to require, gaskets, a tuner if you don't have one, someone to tune the car. If the unit comes with that "black box" it may be ok to limp around but I would advise against using that...

So with the $1000 S/C plan on $2000, if your comfortable with that then you should be good to go.

I have been running my JRSC in my daily driver for the last 7 years and racked up over 120,000 km on it. It still runs great. I have only had to replace a seized tensioner pulley.
whats a big blower kit?

IIRC seller said he had it at 6psi.

TBH don't think i'll end up getting it.
(07-27-2012, 11:27 PM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]whats a big blower kit?

IIRC seller said he had it at 6psi.

TBH don't think i'll end up getting it.

BBK is smaller pulley (8 psi) the SVT throttle body, SVT filter box and snorkel and MAF (although the MAF might be the same as normal Zetec).

It also required the original owner to remove the ECU and send it to Ford Racing for reprogramming.

That service is no longer available so comparably now you must have an SCT X-cal or similar and an aftermarket tune to run the JRSC / BBK safely.