FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: High-Beam DRL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an old-school pair of Hella dual-projector headlamps colour-matched to my car. I plan on installing an HID kit from The Retrofit Source in them. With their kit, their heavy-duty relay harness will amplify the DRL's lower-voltage and properly fire up the low-beam HIDs. But they will run at full power, not half power, all the time which effectively lowers their life-span by half. I was reading through the how-to archive and found the how-to for the OFOC DRL Fog light mod and was wondering if it would be possible to do this mod, except wire it into the high-beam slot to enable the high-beam as the DRL instead of the fogs?
(07-20-2012, 07:44 AM)distroy3d Wrote: [ -> ]I have an old-school pair of Hella dual-projector headlamps colour-matched to my car. I plan on installing an HID kit from The Retrofit Source in them. With their kit, their heavy-duty relay harness will amplify the DRL's lower-voltage and properly fire up the low-beam HIDs. But they will run at full power, not half power, all the time which effectively lowers their life-span by half. I was reading through the how-to archive and found the how-to for the OFOC DRL Fog light mod and was wondering if it would be possible to do this mod, except wire it into the high-beam slot to enable the high-beam as the DRL instead of the fogs?

Every once in a while this comes up and I must admit I have yet to hear of anyone successfully doing this ... IIRC there seems to be some problem with losing the high beams except for the flash to pass feature.

In the meantime why not go with the fogs as DRL - I have MACH hids in the garage and if I ever get around to installing them, that's what I'm going to do, except I was going to wire some LED DRLs into the foglight harness and then give the fogs a circuit and switch of their own.
Is there a thread that has the high-beam method on it anywhere? The only time I use my high-beams is to flash anyways. It just seems a waste for my high-beams because they never get used. So I'd rather make them useful if possible. Otherwise I will have to decide between using my fogs as DRL or leaving the low-beam on all the time as low-beam.
(07-20-2012, 11:56 AM)distroy3d Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a thread that has the high-beam method on it anywhere? The only time I use my high-beams is to flash anyways. It just seems a waste for my high-beams because they never get used. So I'd rather make them useful if possible. Otherwise I will have to decide between using my fogs as DRL or leaving the low-beam on all the time as low-beam.

Not sure ... I did what you probably did and googled it ... quite a few threads turned up on various Focus sites, many by a member on here paolo - not sure if he ever figured it out or not ... BTW, I think it was paolo who posted the how to over on OFOC.
I just kinda' assumed if you can make the fogs the DRL by using some wire and connecting the 2 relays, why not do the same except with the high-beam relay? But I'm not very good with wiring and whatnot, nor do I have any of the wiring diagrams people usually have when tackling a project like this. But yea Google turned up other solutions for other cars but not much for the Focus. Someone said for another car to e it into the turn signals and leave them on all the time but apparently that melts the housings as those types of lights are only designed to be on very briefly. We'll see how things turn out. I also asked on another forum but haven't gotten any responses yet Sad
i might try on my ride to see if i can do anything about high beam.
(07-21-2012, 09:26 AM)konafocuswrc Wrote: [ -> ]i might try on my ride to see if i can do anything about high beam.

Lemme know if you figure anything out. I don't have the technical knowledge to try it out Sad
just looked at the wiring diagram and drl is just tapped into low beam wires.

and looks to me is very easy task.

green/red out from drl relay is drl tapped into low beam relay output side.
make sure to cut green/red, not the output wire which splits into green/orange(driver side) and green/white(passenger side).
then grab green/red that has been cut, tap into high beam relay output wire, this wire splits into green/black(driver side) and green/orange(passenger side).
if you don't know how to use multimeter, don't just go ahead and cut everything.

i am just saying based on wiring diagram, i was considering doing this to my car, so i will let you know tomorrow or early next week.
Another question about the DRL: if you do the fog light DRL mod, do the fogs then run at a reduced intensity as DRL, or do they run at full power? The reason I'm asking is because I'm debating putting 3000k HIDs in the fogs after I get my Hellas done (debating, not 100% as I already have yellow Nokyas in the fogs) so if the fogs then run at a reduced power, I'd have problems running HIDs in them because they might not get enough power to fire up.
(08-19-2012, 06:41 AM)distroy3d Wrote: [ -> ]Another question about the DRL: if you do the fog light DRL mod, do the fogs then run at a reduced intensity as DRL, or do they run at full power? The reason I'm asking is because I'm debating putting 3000k HIDs in the fogs after I get my Hellas done (debating, not 100% as I already have yellow Nokyas in the fogs) so if the fogs then run at a reduced power, I'd have problems running HIDs in them because they might not get enough power to fire up.

IIRC it's full power as the DRL current switches a relay and doesn't power the fogs directly.