FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Possible Moving To Edmonton..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
came from west side and now i m thinking to go back..

but not to san francisco anot not to vancouver..
weather is 1 small little tiny thing but.

after hearing this hourly pay rate, from same best buy but at the edmonton location, i m so pissed and thinking to find installer spot there..
konafocuswrc,Feb 1 2009, 01:08 PM Wrote:came from west side and now i m thinking to go back..

but not to san francisco anot not to vancouver..
weather is 1 small little tiny thing but.

after hearing this hourly pay rate, from same best buy but at the edmonton location, i m so pissed and thinking to find installer spot there..
[right][snapback]280481[/snapback][/right]

Just keep in mind that durring winter in Edmontion it's not uncommon for the temps to dip as low as -35c or about -5F. I will say this though it's a really nice city.
I would look at the average price of housing and goods before you make the move...
you're in Toronto......im sure you find some job with same if not more money........but then again now a days its tough to find anything
As ddub said... that is the first thing that came to mind. If your looking for more money, that wouldn't be a smart move imo. If your hard set on this decision, make damn sure you have a job before making the move. I know the markets out there are booming and jobs are everywhere, but with the economy the way it is... nothing is a sure thing anymore.
No offense but moving across the country for a job as an car audio installer just doesn't sound like a great idea. Are you planning to do this your whole life? Are you going to school? Do you plan to?

A job where some 17 year old kid can come in a take your place doesn't seem like something moving across the country before
sister-in-law and her hubby went to calgary for 3.5hrs they came back down 70$ grand. So think about it carefully!

You are making 2X as here, but your rent/house is going to be twice as much. Groceries and stuff are going to be 3X as much. Everything comes from Ontario so its pricy there.

As others have sai think about it twice before you decide to make the move.

sis-in-laws rent had gone up by 400$ in 3yrs and it was going to go up by another 150$ before they decided that was enough. Also if you are stuck on salary you are screwed. Everything goes up except your salary. If you are a contractor then its a bit better. If prices go up so will your contract rate!
ZX5focused,Feb 1 2009, 02:50 PM Wrote:No offense but moving across the country for a job as an car audio installer just doesn't sound like a great idea.  Are you planning to do this your whole life? Are you going to school? Do you plan to?

A job where some 17 year old kid can come in a take your place doesn't seem like something moving across the country before
[right][snapback]280487[/snapback][/right]

Good point.

College was the best thing I ever did. In other words school FTW!
Trades are pretty good too though. If they told me more about trades in high school, I would have been at electrician with a ticket.
Now im something like electrical/electronics/IT tech lol
ZX5focused,Feb 1 2009, 12:50 PM Wrote:No offense but moving across the country for a job as an car audio installer just doesn't sound like a great idea.  Are you planning to do this your whole life? Are you going to school? Do you plan to?

[right][snapback]280487[/snapback][/right]

well i m 28 yrs old now and i m done with university as a car designer already..

and i m going to take robotic, uphostery and fabrication courses..

i am not doing this installation thing for whole life, i do this as a part, so i can open my own customize shop..

that is not the point..
i do not have family here, so moving to other side of country is not a big deal..
i pay nearly $900 per month for this old s***ty apartment that nobody take care of..
hearing grinding noise when neighbour downstair uses water..
and cockroaches shows up no where..
door is not shuting properly..manager doesn;t listen to me, i gave up long long time ago..

i m not sure about alberta, but bc i lived there for about 6 yrs, even old apartment was very clean and paid half of what i m paying now..
that was like 10 years ago..

but i know for sure, i came back to vancouver 2 years ago and price went up but still same $900, i could live in condo..

alberta will be different for sure, i am not set on moving to alberta now, but i m still considering..i need to do more reaserch..
rent is alot in this part of the country. my mom is in bc and she pays 1200 a month for a 2 bdrm aptmt. + utilities. in edmonton it isnt much cheaper last time i heard(in the fall) average for a 1 bdrm aptmnt in sask is 800 and up

02ztsian

Housing and rental prices are on the way down around Calgary. Also coming down are the "Now Hiring" signs. :unsure:
You can get a fixer duplex for under $200k, or condos for under $170K. Or rent a main floor of a house for under $1200/month.
If you are going to move now is the time, esp. if you have a job lined up.
I know a guy that moved to Alberta from North Bay. He told us it was personal issues but he really wanted in on the tail end of the "boom" out there.

He is working in an auto parts store as a supervisor because he can't land a job in his field.

Make sure you're moving to where the jobs are, not where you want to do your job.

If you're looking to strike out on your own right now, double and triple check the numbers, the demand, the financing.... everything. This IS a recession we're in right now and the market for a start-up car customization house might be kinda flat.

Personally, I'd hunker down and look at switching the job you have now for something else in a comparable wage bracket and then open your shop on the side. Toronto is THE biggest car audio market in Canada, bar none. Same for custom car shops... doubly so when you build in the entire GTA and some of the Horseshoe. Maybe you can build on to an existing small custom shop, or rent space at a larger one.

Options, man... options. You've gotta eat, too. :)
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 2 2009, 07:28 PM Wrote:I know a guy that moved to Alberta from North Bay. He told us it was personal issues but he really wanted in on the tail end of the "boom" out there.

He is working in an auto parts store as a supervisor because he can't land a job in his field.

[right][snapback]280533[/snapback][/right]

Uhh update on this as I talk to this guy a little more often. He left that job, found a job in his field, got laid off, got another job in his field part time, will be probably going to full time shortly.

So honestly, if you decide to quit your job right now, you'll have to start the whole job from square one and be on probation for 90 days. In this recession, if you can avoid probation, the better. Myself tho I wasn't very lucky, I had a staff job for 9 years and they let me go recently cause of economic conditions.
you guys make it sound like he's going to be broke ass poor if he moves out west. If your paying rent in toronto, and able to feed yourself everyday, I wouldnt stress about it at all.

Toronto rent will be the same price if not more than Edmonton Rent. My freind was paying $1300/month + condo fee's for his 2 bedroom apartment in Toronto. He just bought a condo off of Eglinton and Younge, $450k. :o Thats a 1 bedroom condo, fawkin idiot. As for groceries, I was in Calgary for a month last January, and I found my grocery bill to be cheaper actually...The rent for the apartments Bell was renting was around $1200/month. Smack downtown Calgary.

No provincial tax, Insurance is cheaper, and you have a great view of the best mountains in the world. And you know what....they dont use salt on the roads :P

I want to move back out West so bad, if Bell Offered me something in Calgary, I would go in a heart beat.

i m already broke, that is why i m considering move back to edmonton..
at least district manager at edmonton assured me that pay rate is $7/hr more than what i m getting..

i don't know..this toronto district manager is confused or something, so they pay me same as sales person..
we only have 2 installer(includes me) which is not the way suppose to be..

i work as much as others do, probably more..not less..
work 8 hrs per day, and still work on weekend..
and i barely hanging here eating crap..

manager here told me that we can talk about this matter this week, so i hope i hear something good..otherwise, i m set mind to move..
Flofocus,Feb 3 2009, 12:10 PM Wrote:He just bought a condo off of Eglinton and Younge, $450k.  :o   Thats a 1 bedroom condo, fawkin idiot.  [right][snapback]280577[/snapback][/right]

Gotta be a madman to pay $450k for 1 bedroom condo......

Sometimes I just wanna know what goes through some people's head :rolleyes:
What ever you choose to do make sure ur 100% behind ur decision and good luck
i m sitting in front of computer at work while waiting manager and general manager come to talk me about this matter..
i am getting sick of this poor best buy location..
short on staff, printer is jamming, computer is really slow reminds me of 486..
nothing is working properly..
seems like they underpay me..

i just talked to district manager at edmonton and he says that i am welcome to come and choose 1 out of 4 locations..and he double triple assured me about the wages..

now i m 75% set on my mind to move to edmonton..

how is weather in edmonton??hope it is not worse than here in toronto..
Seriously man, if you are sick and tired of working there, THEN LEAVE! That's exactly what you're GM and manager will tell you anyways.
Pages: 1 2