FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do not offer "what you think it is" only answer yes or no, PLEASE!!

Is anyone having idle trouble when taking your foot off the brake. Mine will almost stall, noticed this when at a light or in the Timmies lineup......of course the dealer here in Alberta can't fix it because there is no code.......

2012, SE, Automatic (only because my wife can't drive a stick, heavy sigh Confused)
HuhHuh
No.

Now on to a proper answer you may not have wanted lol

Does your Focus have the latest software update for the transmission? I just got mine done last weekend, and it's definitely sportier since the update... but no difference in idle. Although, you are not the only one to have mentioned the abnormal idle to the point of nearly stalling. What do the rpms drop to when it's about to stall out? Mine sits around 600rpm, never feels like it's about to stall though.. and has been this way before and after the software reflash. Also, how many km's does the car have? Lower kms may yield an unusual idle as well.

One more thing many people don't realize, is that the new transmission is constantly 'learning' your driving habits, adjusting it's clutch engagement constantly... this can feel rough if your used to a conventional automatic. When getting off the brake, the car will begin to engage the clutch. This may very well be the 'stalling' your referring to. This is normal believe it or not, after around 2000kms this will smooth out to be almost nonexistent.
I have a 2012 also, since last July. When did you purchase yours? euro_zx5 has stated everythng you need to know about the stalling issue.
(08-08-2012, 01:02 PM)euro_zx5 Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Now on to a proper answer you may not have wanted lol

Does your Focus have the latest software update for the transmission? I just got mine done last weekend, and it's definitely sportier since the update... but no difference in idle. Although, you are not the only one to have mentioned the abnormal idle to the point of nearly stalling. What do the rpms drop to when it's about to stall out? Mine sits around 600rpm, never feels like it's about to stall though.. and has been this way before and after the software reflash. Also, how many km's does the car have? Lower kms may yield an unusual idle as well.

One more thing many people don't realize, is that the new transmission is constantly 'learning' your driving habits, adjusting it's clutch engagement constantly... this can feel rough if your used to a conventional automatic. When getting off the brake, the car will begin to engage the clutch. This may very well be the 'stalling' your referring to. This is normal believe it or not, after around 2000kms this will smooth out to be almost nonexistent.

Not sure about the update, although it was in for a service about 3 weeks ago. KM are 19000. Idle speed is the same but noticed it drop to 500 when taking my foot off the brake pedal, then recovers. Most likely I'll have to live with it but it sure is pis*ing me off. I have heard about the tranny, so being the unhappy camper I am, I tried it in manual shift mode but no difference. I thought the clutch would stay in if I used manual mode. Thanks for the info.