FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: ford focus zetec exhaust manifolds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi i currently own a 2001 focus with a zetek engine. I'm upgrading the exhaust system and i'm trying to decide on what stlye of header i should go with shorty style or long and what brand i should go with. i already own the ss cat back exhaust. any input would be greatly appreciated.
(08-11-2012, 10:42 PM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]Hi i currently own a 2001 focus with a zetek engine. I'm upgrading the exhaust system and i'm trying to decide on what stlye of header i should go with shorty style or long and what brand i should go with. i already own the ss cat back exhaust. any input would be greatly appreciated.

welcome - which exhaust do you have (what diameter) and what are you doing about the cat?
(08-12-2012, 01:59 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2012, 10:42 PM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]Hi i currently own a 2001 focus with a zetek engine. I'm upgrading the exhaust system and i'm trying to decide on what stlye of header i should go with shorty style or long and what brand i should go with. i already own the ss cat back exhaust. any input would be greatly appreciated.

welcome - which exhaust do you have (what diameter) and what are you doing about the cat?

i have a catback exhaust system ss 4.5" tip 2.25" light weight piping n1 style titanium tip chances are i'm gonna need to change the catalytic converter.
(08-12-2012, 08:59 AM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]

i have a catback exhaust system ss 4.5" tip 2.25" light weight piping n1 style titanium tip chances are i'm gonna need to change the catalytic converter.

With a long tube header (eg: the OE SVT one) you will definitely need a different cat and you will have to modify your cat-back exhaust.

OTH, most of the shorty headers IIRC work with the stock Zetec cat which means you can keep your current exhaust intact.

(08-12-2012, 09:12 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2012, 08:59 AM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]

With a long tube header (eg: the OE SVT one) you will definitely need a different cat and you will have to modify your cat-back exhaust.

OTH, most of the shorty headers IIRC work with the stock Zetec cat which means you can keep your current exhaust intact.

what kind of modifications to the catback exhaust would i be looking at do you know ?
(08-12-2012, 09:39 AM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]what kind of modifications to the catback exhaust would i be looking at do you know ?

Well - think about where the stock cat is on the zetec -long tube headers eliminate it - and a cat back is designed to connect up to it ... so depending on what cat you get to replace it, you may have to fabricate a pipe to go between the new cat and the cat back. there is no straight answer because it depends on the header you choose and the cat you choose ... all I'm saying is be aware that in choosing to go long tube, you have other decisions to make.

For example - I chose to go with the SVT long tube headers, and my solution to the problem was to go with the complete SVT exhaust including cat and everything aft of there.
(08-12-2012, 12:28 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2012, 09:39 AM)BigmattGD Wrote: [ -> ]what kind of modifications to the catback exhaust would i be looking at do you know ?

Well - think about where the stock cat is on the zetec -long tube headers eliminate it - and a cat back is designed to connect up to it ... so depending on what cat you get to replace it, you may have to fabricate a pipe to go between the new cat and the cat back. there is no straight answer because it depends on the header you choose and the cat you choose ... all I'm saying is be aware that in choosing to go long tube, you have other decisions to make.

For example - I chose to go with the SVT long tube headers, and my solution to the problem was to go with the complete SVT exhaust including cat and everything aft of there.

cool thanks for the info
For flow and hp svt header is the best out there
At first I went with the jba shorty , now im using the fswerks race header and flex pipe. For my exhaust its the fswerks race. Its got goos power all over the rpm range.