FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Swapping seat heater question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone swapped the seat heater element into a fabric seat?
I'm removing the leather seats from my ZTW and installing the fabric ones from my old SE.
I'd like to peel back the fabric and install the heater, but I'm afraid that might cause damage to the fabric.
Any ideas, thoughts, or "DON'T DO IT!!" please let me know.
(08-21-2012, 09:53 AM)Platinum6316 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone swapped the seat heater element into a fabric seat?
I'm removing the leather seats from my ZTW and installing the fabric ones from my old SE.
I'd like to peel back the fabric and install the heater, but I'm afraid that might cause damage to the fabric.
Any ideas, thoughts, or "DON'T DO IT!!" please let me know.

AFAIK it's a replaceable part - I had one replaced once under warranty. If I could find my Ford DVD I'd look up the re and re instructions - but it's disappeared into the depths of the abyss that is my garage.
It should be fairly easy to move, just remove the seat covering and remove the elements, and do the reverse on the good seats.
At least that's what I think ...
I'll disassemble my leathers soon to see, and let you know.
(08-22-2012, 10:10 AM)Platinum6316 Wrote: [ -> ]It should be fairly easy to move, just remove the seat covering and remove the elements, and do the reverse on the good seats.
At least that's what I think ...
I'll disassemble my leathers soon to see, and let you know.

Sounds right ... BTW - in order to refit the covers nice and tight it will help to have a hogring pliers - it's still ancient tech when it comes to Focus seat construction.

I plan on acquiring said pliers. Smile
Just make my life so much easier.
I'll take pics and let you know how it works out
My other question is: will it damage the fabric covering, since I've only found heaters with leather seats.
(08-23-2012, 10:45 AM)Platinum6316 Wrote: [ -> ]My other question is: will it damage the fabric covering, since I've only found heaters with leather seats.

No - they did offer heated seats with fabric in some models / model years.
(08-23-2012, 10:55 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2012, 10:45 AM)Platinum6316 Wrote: [ -> ]My other question is: will it damage the fabric covering, since I've only found heaters with leather seats.

No - they did offer heated seats with fabric in some models / model years.

Correct. Both my 2005 SES and my 2010 SE have heaters in fabric seats.

Bob

Perfect, thanks guys!
just to add, my 03 zx5 had heated cloth seats (which I then swapped out for heated leather seats)
Partially disassembled one of the leather seats to try for the heater element.
The hog-rings are in odd places and the fabric on the element pad was disintegrating, so decided to not continue with this plan.