FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Should I Dump My Focus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 2k focus worth nothing this day with 280k+ km on the clock and I need to make the decision rather or not it make sense to keep it on the road. And I need some in put.

Things that NEED to fix inorder to keep it on the road for the next 2 yrs are
-a set of summer and a set of winter $900
-timing belt $200?
-Wind shield(cracked) $350
-both upper motor mount $150
-coolant and stuff $120
-tranny oil(again) $60
-Clutch(still on orginal, should be gone soon) $600+
-Ball join(still orginal) $150?
-check engine light(emission related) $??
-turning off the engine after long drive it will sound like turning off a vacuum god know what it is $???
-1/2 the defoster don't work $???
-I am sure there is something else..$??

things that done in 08
-new brake and bearing on all 4 corners

I still love my car but given the current econ situation I don't want to stuck with any larger monthly payment, if I am going to get another car it will be either a used V50 or a new Fiesta.

V50 will be ideal, I can fit my bicycle in it, I can have it to tow my tiny boat and lot of space. A good condition one run around 15k.

I am also planning to get a motorcycle for the first time and I have to set aside some $ for it.

To sum it up, should I keep my focus which cost arm and leg, don't want to spend too much on replacment car, getting a bike. What will you do?
Focus Is Art,Jan 27 2009, 05:38 PM Wrote:My 2k focus worth nothing this day with 280k+ km on the clock and I need to make the decision rather or not it make sense to keep it on the road.  And I need some in put.

Things that NEED to fix inorder to keep it on the road for the next 2 yrs are
-a set of summer and a set of winter $900
-timing belt $200?
-Wind shield(cracked) $350
-both upper motor mount $150
-coolant and stuff $120
-tranny oil(again) $60
-Clutch(still on orginal, should be gone soon) $600+
-Ball join(still orginal) $150?
-check engine light(emission related) $??
-turning off the engine after long drive it will sound like turning off a vacuum god know what it is $???
-1/2 the defoster don't work $???
-I am sure there is something else..$??

things that done in 08
-new brake and bearing on all 4 corners

I still love my car but given the current econ situation I don't want to stuck with any larger monthly payment, if I am going to get another car it will be either a used V50 or a new Fiesta.

V50 will be ideal, I can fit my bicycle in it, I can have it to tow my tiny boat and lot of space.  A good condition one run around 15k.

I am also planning to get a motorcycle for the first time and I have to set aside some $ for it.

To sum it up, should I keep my focus which cost arm and leg, don't want to spend too much on replacment car, getting a bike.  What will you do?
[right][snapback]280271[/snapback][/right]

Strictly speaking it is not an investment to put money into a 9 year old car with almost 300k.

If you've got the cash, then perhaps the decision to repair it and keep it might make sense considering you like the car and you know where it's been, so to speak. The repairs would undoubtedly be less expensive then purchasing a newer vehicle in substantially better condition.

But if you have to borrow to fix it (loan, credit card, line of credit) -- then perhaps you should look at using that credit to get yourself into something new or newer.

Keep in mind that the above opinion comes from someone who won't keep a car past 100k and likes the protection a bumper to bumper factory warranty provides.

This probably hasn't helped much, but good luck with your decision.
yeah i think its time to get rid of it and look into something a bit newer. Some of the stuff could be fixed for cheaper, but other things could go wrong with the car and leave you hanging.

You do a lot of commute? Markham to Miss? I think you should look into a TDI. With 1100KMs/tank you can't go wrong. Even with Diesel prices so high, it still cost me about $50 to fill up and as stated i do about 1100 a tank. Maybe look into getting a new Jetta TDI?:)
I do have the cash for the repair, it is the question about should I?

No longer do Markham to Miss, now day it is Major Mc to mid town. Still driving about 30k a yr.

How you like ur TDI? They're dirt cheap now but worry about VW reilability.
Focus Is Art,Jan 27 2009, 10:57 PM Wrote:I do have the cash for the repair, it is the question about should I?

No longer do Markham to Miss, now day it is Major Mc to mid town.  Still driving about 30k a yr.

How you like ur TDI?  They're dirt cheap now but worry about VW reilability.
[right][snapback]280284[/snapback][/right]

i love it so far. I've been driving it since sept. Its an 02 fully loaded with leather and all the toys.

Here is the deal.
Look into ALH engine only, best in milleage and durability. Came in Jetta/Golf/NB 99 to 03. Whatever you do stay away from Automatics!!!!
I have changed the timing belt so the new one should last for 160KMS. Not much else. I know what you mean with VW reliability. I was scared as well. Its the little things that could go wrong and if you are good with electrical stuff you should be able to do most yourself. You also have to find a good VW TDI mechanic. You can't just trust any idiot that says he is a mechanic. Lot of good guys in TDi forums and they will guide you thru anything you need to know.

As for prices, you are right. Right now is a good time to get a TDi. They are dirt cheap compared to couple of months ago and if gas ever goes up they will be a good investment(not that you ever make money on cars)
06 Jetta is really good in regards to getting rid of small little problems, but the engine is still the old 1.9PD, they could be fussy if the right oil is not used.
09's have new engine and good chasis. But i guess time will tell!
mo_focus,Jan 27 2009, 06:38 PM Wrote:yeah i think its time to get rid of it and look into something a bit newer. Some of the stuff could be fixed for cheaper, but other things could go wrong with the car and leave you hanging.

You do a lot of commute? Markham to Miss? I think you should look into a TDI. With 1100KMs/tank you can't go wrong. Even with Diesel prices so high, it still cost me about $50 to fill up and as stated i do about 1100 a tank. Maybe look into getting a new Jetta TDI?:)
[right][snapback]280282[/snapback][/right]

Just wondering how big the tank on your TDi is 65 liter?
55L, is the max i have put in there. They are great cars for the purpose i use them for.

I mostly drive on 401 between toronto and cornwall. mostly doing 110 to 120kms. If its for city driving i don't know if its going to be that good. You might be able to get around 900-1000 per tank.
My goal is to get to 1200km/tank. 1100 is for winter driving and i"m sure i'll be able to get 1200 in the summer.
well when I did my timing belt it was at 220Kms, & it was only $100 installed,

the cracked windshield you can clame on your insurance as most poliys have a 50/50 claws, and it will not cause you insurance to go up, call them and ask about it.

as for the rear defogger when the bars stop working it's usually a sign that some of the bars are broken and not getting the current thru to activate it correctly. there are repair kits out there that range from $10 - 40, and are DIY.

if your clutch is still in good working order with no issues, why replace it?

if you need Tires you can get a good set of all seasons for about $450. I know a place here in brampton that is rather cheap, and that is all 4 tires installed balenced & the old ones recycled.

as for the tranny fluid, go to Mr. Lube, it will cost about $50. and take about 20 minutes, also have then check the carborator as it could be clogged and causing you that vacum sounding issue. also their coolent package is not that badly priced either.

as for the other issues get it checked out, I'm guessing it should not cost more then $1500 to repair the rest.

as for TDI VW's finding a good one, with little issues is a good find, just keep in mind there are a few bad ones out there, not to mention vw's quality is questionable, if the car has not been taken car of, if your looking into used.

Keep in mind you should be doing your coolent and tranny fluid yearly, and this is about the time any typical car need this kind of mantainance, once it's done you'll get a few more years out of your car, before it comes do again.
Focus Is Art, are you looking at a new V50 or off lease? If you wait a bit for the late '07 or '08 to come off lease you'll get a better car.
Improved and increased stowage in the doors/console, better sound proofing and mp3/iPod thru the HU.
I'm in the same boat, wagon is 220K+, decided to do the major repairs now, get atleast another year out of the it and then a V50. Part of my decision was cost of repairs over cost of payments for the next 12 months. A number of personal reasons factored in also but I won't get into that.
my two cents.
was gona sell the Freestlye and get a focus, but since i had to spend 650 on repiars and maintenance. I've decided to keep it until we can find out what kelly is going to do with her job. I like to keep it if she finds a job close to home if not then another focus for us :)
If it's still on the road then drive it don't spend any money on it just drive it till it breaks down or is no longer safe for you to drive then take it to one of the junk yard that will give you cash for the scrap metal.
ZX3 2NV - I will need at least a set of summer, my set is completely gone.
j3rt - I will be looking at used V50 w/ 60-80k km on it, since we're still on 05 car I guess it is 2 yr away from 07?
Frost - I can do most myself and I have a feeling that my clutch is almost there;.
Used tires bud. $30-50 each and they are in decent condition, that will last you all summer if not longer.
ZX3_2NV,Jan 28 2009, 10:35 AM Wrote:If it's still on the road then drive it don't spend any money on it just drive it till it breaks down or is no longer safe for you to drive then take it to one of the junk yard that will give you cash for the scrap metal.
[right][snapback]280313[/snapback][/right]
No offence, but this is bad advice, you should never let your car get to the point where its no longer safe to drive or to the point where you dont know if its going to break down on you or not.

As for the TDi, as long as you can find one with a solid maintanance history, you should be gold. my father is on his 3rd, currently a little over 300k, going in for his second timing belt and water pump in a few KM's. He had his master brake cylinder go on him, cost was $700 at the dealer to replace, but other than that, his TDi's have been solid. This one with over 300k, is an automatic.

He had 0 electrical issues on his TDi's. I had some electrical issues on my 94 golf CL, that thing was such a POS, made the 00 focus look good. :ph34r:
malim,Jan 28 2009, 04:12 PM Wrote:Used tires bud. $30-50 each and they are in decent condition, that will last you all summer if not longer.
[right][snapback]280361[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I would do It breaks down it breaks down but for as long as it gets u from point A to Point B I would drive it. Pick up a set of tires you can get a full set for under $200

Why spend money when you don't have to if you know its junk then you have to expect it with my 1st car The clutch was slipping bad battery that require me to carry a booster pack in the car, no Tach and hey when it broke down I rolled into a parking spot took a cab the rest of the way to work and then gave the car away.
if you ever decide to dump your focus, let me know..
i will take tranny, wiring, pcm w/keys off of yours..and few interior stuff..
make it a flower box..... or boat anchor...
ZX3_2NV,Jan 30 2009, 08:52 AM Wrote:
malim,Jan 28 2009, 04:12 PM Wrote:Used tires bud. $30-50 each and they are in decent condition, that will last you all summer if not longer.
[right][snapback]280361[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I would do It breaks down it breaks down but for as long as it gets u from point A to Point B I would drive it. Pick up a set of tires you can get a full set for under $200

Why spend money when you don't have to if you know its junk then you have to expect it with my 1st car The clutch was slipping bad battery that require me to carry a booster pack in the car, no Tach and hey when it broke down I rolled into a parking spot took a cab the rest of the way to work and then gave the car away.
[right][snapback]280443[/snapback][/right]

thats exactly what i would do. And if you shop smart you can get a set of used winter tires in the off season for cheap too.

also, while you continue to drive your rolling-dead focus (call it a zombiemobile if you will), start putting in a separate bank account monthly payments (equivalent to what you would pay on your next car) and when you do need to get the new car, you will have a nice down payment.

i almost wish my car was in such bad shape, that way i wouldnt care so much when people ding my car while parking, or scrape the paint off my bumper.