FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing belt problems!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I have a couple problems now.
Yesterday I swapped out my timing belt, tentioner and idler pulley for all new. Timed it spot on first try! so I fired it up ran perfect for about 1 minute then she died. Tuirns out the belt fell off So i thought maybe I just overlooked something...but everything seemed fine, tentioner set correctly and everything.

So I started from scratch again...once again, got it times spot on first try, rotated the crank manually 3 times and again everything seemed fine, I goto fire her up and I got one good solid crank then nothing! push the clutch in and turn they key and the starter doesnt even click...Check the wiring to the started and everything seemed fine.

Also, the fuel pump wont click on either now, AND! yes theres more haha when you turn the key to on and where your km's and trip meter display it comes up as "- - - -", theres nothing there anymore either...WTF could I have possibly done!?!? I check the fuel safety innertia switch and it wasnt triggered, fuses seem fine...havent gone through all yet though...any thoughts!?!?
I was plagued with the ----- for a while on the old car... but for me it happened doing highway speeds on 401 early morning. The car sat in my driveway for weeks. Check all your fuses in the engine bay, the big ones...one may be blown. If you replace it and it blows again for the love of all things do NOT be retarded (like I was) and put in a 30A thinking that's gonna fix all your problems, because you know what the ----- went away and I fried my engine harness to my computer. I had to require a bunch of wires that had melted associated witht he MAF and surrounding it. The MAF had shorted out on the egr tube and caused the -----.

Coles notes:
#1, check fuses (engine bay)
#2, check all your grounds
#3, check for any shorts , melted wires, or stuff like that.
#4, 10 gallons gasoline and a match..
Even though it doesn't sound like you have a CEL, just for shits and giggles why not check for a code.
I think when its ------ on the ecu it is not initializing, diagnosis via OBD2 is a nogo.
(09-11-2012, 11:12 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]I think when its ------ on the ecu it is not initializing, diagnosis via OBD2 is a nogo.

aha - IIRC it also does that when the battery is dead and when the ecu is fried
^^^^....... Or the ECU has a grounding fault, or there is a wiring short... basically the ECU cannot initialize due to some "error".
(09-11-2012, 12:53 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]^^^^....... Or the ECU has a grounding fault, or there is a wiring short... basically the ECU cannot initialize due to some "error".

But wouldn't it at least turn over and spin the fuel pump even if the ecu was borked in some way?

BTW - just read your solution #4 - made me LOL
Found the wiring issue. It was an old rotted ground that broke...so fixed that up and everything works wonders now! Thanks for all the suggestions. And yes option #4 was seeming very tempting at the time haha.

As for the timing belt. my second attempt worked perfectly. no walking at all! woohoo! finally something goes right for once.