FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: is there Such thing as an SVT Wagon ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so i was going through the pictures on my phone , and i found a picture that i took of a wagon about two years ago that said SVT on the back. Just wondering if they actually made an SVT version of the wagon? or is it just simply his own decal that he put on?

[attachment=613]
NO SVT wagon, not from the factory any ways.

I think there is atleast one guy on here that did a SVT wagon conversion though.
(09-14-2012, 03:45 AM)habmann Wrote: [ -> ]NO SVT wagon, not from the factory any ways.

i thought so , I was shocked when i saw that emblem on there.

I think there is atleast one guy on here that did a SVT wagon conversion though.

In the 80's I gave my friend a 4X4 badge and he stuck it on the trunk of his K car. A few people asked him if it was! Ha!
(09-14-2012, 10:32 AM)CanadaSVT Wrote: [ -> ]In the 80's I gave my friend a 4X4 badge and he stuck it on the trunk of his K car. A few people asked him if it was! Ha!

Lol ya , just like when people ask me if my car is an svt just cause I have the rims.
Yes, yes there is an SVT Wagon. One for sure here in Canada, another may be under construction. And another one in California. Both were fabricated by their respective owners. Okay, I lie, it was my son and his friends that built mine. But as habmann said, Ford never made one.

Mine was made by removing the engine, transmission, interior, suspension, brakes and exhaust off a Focus SE wagon. The same parts were pulled from an SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance) write-off and fitted into place. SVT-WGN is NOT a pretend, it is completely SVT, inside and out, except in wagon form. My toy. Old guy. Semi-senile, but loves long roofs and manual transmissions.

Slotted disk brakes all the way around, H&R springs, Borla stainless exhaust system, K&N cold air kit and HID headlights. Still to be installed is the front bumper, side skirts, rear spoiler/wing, Pioneer GPS audio system and some kind of rear bumper modifications.

Some items to note: vanity plates SVT-WGN Saskatchewan registration same as the California wagon.
SVT-WGN is a daily driver, even in winter.

Here are some photos, most taken today. Enjoy.

The instrument panel
[Image: inwuwp.jpg]

The driver side door (inside)
[Image: fay7uc.jpg]

The SVT emblem is glued to a magnet and then if I want to use it, it is stuck on. Very easily removed.
[Image: 2ik40vd.jpg]

The front (this photo was taken in July. You can see the SVT header underneath. Will get SVT front bumper this winter.
[Image: x24hmh.jpg]

Insane Audio provided me with a "custom" owner's manual
[Image: s3pno6.jpg]

The hind quarters of SVT-WGN (still needs to be modified - spoiler and bumper)
[Image: 2nv3sw3.jpg]

Interior (blue SVT seats)
[Image: ayr2s.jpg]

SVT shifter, and miscellaneous buttons (like chaud derrière buttons)
[Image: 1zgda3d.jpg]

Side of SVT-WGN (will get SVT rockers, also this winter)
[Image: 2ajq17a.jpg]
thats awesome ! its looking really good. thanks for sharing the pictures. Is she tuned?also what kind of grill is that? i think i seen a similar one on ebay. I wonder why ford never made a wagon version. I like the owners manual. Goodluck with the rest of the build!
I seen one on a backroad going into windsor one night. Its silver with a blue svt front bumper
The grill was purchased on eBay. The car has been completely debadged. The SVT emblem only goes on at Ford Shows, sometimes. The magnet works very well.

K&N Cold Air is music at full throttle. The car is not tuned, yet. We have to finish it first. Some of the other modifications include the window tint and an alternate rear wiper. Forgot what it came off, but it looks so much better than the stock version.

Shocked a Mustang owner, in a heads up time trial run, I beat him in the quarter mile with a hole shot, a 15.7 second at 86 mph (137.6 km/hr) run. He was faster, but not by much. His ET was nearly the same.
At the risk of sounding like a dick (I don't mean to offend anyone), putting everything SVT on a regular Focus (and a wagon to boot) doesn't make it an SVT any more than me throwing a supercharged 5.4L, hood, front and rear clip and Cobra logos on my Mustang make it a GT500. Just like 20 nose operations and skin bleach never made Michael Jackson "a white dude".

So no, there is no SVT wagon (in North America at least). I applaud those guys that choose to modify their cars (I do it myself); your car may handle as well as (or better than) an SVT, be as fast as (or faster than) an SVT. But it it what it is. A Focus with a lot of SVT parts. And that's cool in itself. And if it's done tongue-in-cheek that's fine. But some people have actually tried to pass off dressed-up Focii as SVTs ... and in my books that's dirty.

Maybe it's me -- a lot of people that drive Mustangs that mod their cars; slapping Shelby/Boss 302 parts on the car is one thing (personally I have parts from both) but slapping a Cobra or Boss stripes on your car buys you a one-way ticket to Loserville.
OAC_Sparky, no you are not a short Richard. If you noticed, the car was debadged (the SVT emblem usually resides in the glove box). In other and earlier posts, I have bemoaned the fact Ford never saw fit to offer a sports wagon. They had a chance with the SHO, only available as a sedan, no wagon. Same thing with the SVT, only 3-door and 5-door, no sedans, nor wagons. I am a long roof fan who also likes performance. Now I have both. Those who know Ford never offered an SVT wagon are not fooled.

I am in total agreement with you about poseurs. Decals, stripes, wings, fart cans are all examples. None make the car go any faster, all are examples of "lipstick on a pig." However, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, maybe it IS a duck. I am not embarrassed by my car. What Ford did not provide, my son did. Their loss, my toy. I hope you also noted the car is a daily driver. It has bug nicks, cracked windshield and chipped paint. Like all real cars.

An obsession with "numbers matching", authentic to the nth degree detracts from what should be fun. I have owned and driven many of the muscle cars currently now selling for six figures. They were crappy handlers then and still are, but they are numbers matching, and kept in a garage. I obviously have preference for old cars where someone takes a plain Jane and creates a modern automobile, with all of the amenities, and then uses it. Key words, "uses it." My vanity, the licence plate.
Everyone will have there own opinions , all I care about is doing what I want to do to my car , I happen to like decals , and SVT parts .... because for the most part they look better and are performance enhancing , Just like you can view a non svt with svt parts as a "dressed up car " I can view any modified car as dressed up car. All I care about is making my car look better and perform better Smile For the record when I talk about my car I always says its not an svt ... Smile oh ya and Michael Jackson actually had a skin disease that caused his skin to change color.
(09-14-2012, 07:46 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]At the risk of sounding like a dick ...

I've read enough. Tongue
Step back, take a breath. We all have our opinions. We all cannot be right. Except for ourselves. Emotions are difficult to determine from the printed word. OAC_Sparky and I disagreed on whether my SVT-WGN deserves to be called an SVT. Of course we all know Ford never made one (they should have.) I chastised OAC_Sparky for his criticism of my wagon (albeit with a wet noodle) and then I went on to insult all enthusiasts who like decals, wings and fart cans. So I am due for some self flagellation (does that sound almost obscene) as well.

There are (and here I am only estimating) close to 10,000 members (631 pages x 15 or so per page - some have been banned) which means almost every Focus owner in Canada is included. Some will be old farts (like me), others will be young turks. Some will be progressive, others quite conservative. The only thing holding us together is our interest in that lowly transportation appliance produced by Ford called the Focus.

Everything someone offers here, there will be someone else who likes the idea. And someone who hates it. So in the spirit of taking my own advice, I will try to refrain from writing disparaging comments about decals, wings and fart cans. (Snicker - I really did try to say that with a straight face.)
(09-14-2012, 07:46 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: [ -> ]At the risk of sounding like a dick (I don't mean to offend anyone), putting everything SVT on a regular Focus (and a wagon to boot) doesn't make it an SVT any more than me throwing a supercharged 5.4L, hood, front and rear clip and Cobra logos on my Mustang make it a GT500. Just like 20 nose operations and skin bleach never made Michael Jackson "a white dude".

So no, there is no SVT wagon (in North America at least). I applaud those guys that choose to modify their cars (I do it myself); your car may handle as well as (or better than) an SVT, be as fast as (or faster than) an SVT. But it it what it is. A Focus with a lot of SVT parts. And that's cool in itself. And if it's done tongue-in-cheek that's fine. But some people have actually tried to pass off dressed-up Focii as SVTs ... and in my books that's dirty.

Maybe it's me -- a lot of people that drive Mustangs that mod their cars; slapping Shelby/Boss 302 parts on the car is one thing (personally I have parts from both) but slapping a Cobra or Boss stripes on your car buys you a one-way ticket to Loserville.
So if your going to say that , then all the mustangs with v6s are just a pig with make up? They dont deserve to wear the my little pony emblem.
What's so special about an SVT body shell over a regular focus?
I was looking at a low mileage wreak (<20,000kms) and wouldn't
have a problem pulling all the parts off it and putting them on a
sedan, hatchback, or wagon. I'd call the car SVT'd although wouldn't
pass it off as a factory car. Then again, it might have more 'SVT' in
it then some factory-built SVT's out there with aftermarket suspension,
turbo's, etc. At the end of the day, it's just a damn car and if the owner
is happy with it, then so be it. To me unique is awesome!
I concur with what Moon said...the shell isn't what made the SVT what it was...it was the culmination of tweaked and re-engineered parts that were in many ways like the stock ones, only better.

I understood this with my ZX3 when I had it. I was satisfied with it when I first bought it, and then the modification bug hit. That bug only got worse once I started coming out to OFOC and FC.net meets back in the day, and realized the potential these cars had. I went with the gradual Euro transformation, except mine was a fusion of ST170, RS, SVT, and other models by the time I was done. With a multimatic suspension, moog swaybar links and graphite bushings and SVT EAP's with Fuzion ZRi's on them, my little ZX3 was capable of keeping up with a few Impreza's and other great handling cars through the twisties. Because I used factory Ford parts from Germany and England for the exterior, and keeping everything pretty much looking "stock-ish" the car didn't scream look at me, and usually it was only the other Foci/Ford enthusiasts that noticed if things looked not so NA ZX3 anymore. It was pretty much all I wanted in a custom economy car, and if I need a 2nd daily driver in the future to go long distance with, I'll look at getting another (except it will likely be a ZTW with a manual).

Anyways, sorry to threadjack, loving what you've done with your wagon!
Well said right there ^ totally agree , some people just don't understand. Enough said lol
Our wagon is what Ford should have offered. They did not. Now if Ford brings the Focus ST wagon over to our side of the Atlantic, I want to take at least a little bit of credit. One of Ford's engineers turned marketing manager, Lisa Schoder, very patiently listened to one old geezer rant on about Ford not offering performance options and manual transmissions in wagons (she was present when we were awarded Best Focus wagon at the Carlisle Ford Nationals in 2011.) She was impressed that we built it ourselves and that we had enough faith to drive halfway across the continent to attend (our real incentive of course was much more personal; someone implied Taurus Turd and like Michael J. Fox in "Back to the Future" no-one calls us "chicken.")

SVT-WGN is my toy. The vanity plates are really there because the owner is getting up in years, and tends to forget (partzheimer's).

An interesting anecdote about the car arose when the American Focus owners learned we had converted a five-speed SE wagon into the six-speed SVT-WGN, they almost accused us of heresy "How dare you convert a manual wagon. Do you know how rare they are?" My response was "Rare, I was looking for a black wagon. I could have used one of two white, one red, one green, one tan, two silver, one blue and of course, the grey one we eventually used. Rare? I could choose the colour." This just blew the Americans away. You had a choice? Colour, and all manuals? Yeah, manual transmission Focus wagons are rare. [Expletive deleted], all wagons are rare only in the USA.

So I am not holding my breath waiting for the Focus ST wagon. Americans just do not like manuals. One other interesting tidbit. Top Gear magazine (July 2012) had a couple of drivers drive the new Focus ST across America. Turns out only one of the drivers could drive stick, and he was not the American.

(09-15-2012, 12:47 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]So if your going to say that , then all the mustangs with v6s are just a pig with make up? They dont deserve to wear the my little pony emblem.
Non sequitur. The Mustang has been available from the factory with a 6cyl since they rolled off the assembly line in '64. They come from the factory with them, thus they are a "Mustang". If Ford made a 3-cylinder turbo for the next Mustang, it would still be a Mustang; it's FOrd's product, they can do whatever they wish.

As I said, I can buy all the parts from a Shelby through Ford Racing to put on my GT. Does that make it a "Shelby"? No. Would I do it? No, even though I have future plans for a supercharger I definitely won't be slapping a Cobra on my car unless money starts raining money from the sky and I get my car converted at an authorized Shelby center (like Sean Hyland Motorsports is). And it is interesting to note that even doing so won't get me a "GT500", either, nor will they badge it as such.

And for the record, I wasn't putting down SVT-WGN's car in the slightest. I was only truthfully (IMHO) answering the OP's question,
"is there Such thing as an SVT Wagon ?"
Pages: 1 2