FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need some advice on exporting a bike from USA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found a new toy in US and A for a good price with waaaay lower miles. Been doing a lot of reading on the web of how to export it through Lewiston bridge.
I want those with experience to check if I'm missing something.

(Done) First of all I checked if the bike is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles. Checked http://www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240) and yes even called them to double check. Good to go.

(Done) Sent information about the bike to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
All that included was that it is motorcycle, make, model, color, year, VIN #.
With in an hour I got a reply back from boarder that bike is OK to be brought over the boarder.

So at this point if I pick up the bike the following I need to show at the boarder. Title documents, registration and sales receipts (bill of sale?)
Then pay some HST at Canadian side.

(Needs to be done) Not needed at the boarder but going to request today. Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of this bike to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION).
So basically I'm going to call USA Honda today to request this letter. Hopefully it's done via email.

When I called the boarder they made it sound way too easy. I hope that's how it is.

What am I missing?

Thanks
(09-25-2012, 11:24 PM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Found a new toy in US and A for a good price with waaaay lower miles. Been doing a lot of reading on the web of how to export it through Lewiston bridge.
I want those with experience to check if I'm missing something.

(Done) First of all I checked if the bike is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles. Checked http://www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240) and yes even called them to double check. Good to go.

(Done) Sent information about the bike to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
All that included was that it is motorcycle, make, model, color, year, VIN #.
With in an hour I got a reply back from boarder that bike is OK to be brought over the boarder.

So at this point if I pick up the bike the following I need to show at the boarder. Title documents, registration and sales receipts (bill of sale?)
Then pay some HST at Canadian side.

(Needs to be done) Not needed at the boarder but going to request today. Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of this bike to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION).
So basically I'm going to call USA Honda today to request this letter. Hopefully it's done via email.

When I called the boarder they made it sound way too easy. I hope that's how it is.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Make sure you have a dated bill of sale, you will still have to pay HST at the border. You should also check with Ontario to see what you might need from a foreign jurisdiction in order to register the bike in your name here; ie: the ownership. Otherwise you look like you have everything covered.
What bike is it ?
2008 Honda CBR600RR with 1600 miles.

Need the seller to locate Statement of Compliance Label on the bike whenever he gets off work.
Hopefully he will get recall clearance letter for me as well.
When you are bringing the bike back over the border, you have to go to US customs first. At the Lewiston bridge, you turn left just before the duty free and tim hortons and head across the oncoming traffic coming into the US. It is confusing. You need the document you either faxed or emailed US customs because it has a reference number on it that they use to find your claim. You will need to show them your ownership of the bike. They will come outside and look for the VIN on the bike and match it to the VIN on your paper work. Bring 3 copies of the ownership and 3 copies of the paperwork you got from the US government. You then head to Canada customs and pay the HST. Don't pay your RIV fee there!!!! Pay it online and it is much faster. The rest is easy. And yes, it is easy but a little nerve racking for the first time.
Nice bike Smile If you wait a few months the 600's usually drop by a grand or more in Canada. Due to winter Big Grin But then again if you get it here now you've got a good amount of riding time left.

I don't understand how people can buy nice bikes and then only put under 5k on them over 5 years. If I had a nicer bike i'm sure i'd have put more miles on mine. So far i'm at 15k this year until the salt gets deployed.....
Just got the worst news.
Did all the required paper work and stuff.

Called US Honda and asked them for recall clearance letter. Explained why and for what. So since I'm trying to bring the bike from US to Canada they don't support that. They call it grey market. Pretty much they don't want me bringing this bike over to another country. Really?

So now I sent a message to the seller to call and fight for that letter cause otherwise our deal is off. Unless someone can tell me how to get around it.

(09-26-2012, 04:28 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Just got the worst news.
...recall clearance letter.

Nik - the mfg is not the only source for an acceptable recall clearance letter ... from the RIV site:

"RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site. Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

Please note should any of the above documentation indicate that there is an outstanding safety recall, the RIV may accept an invoice/work order from an authorized dealer confirming that the safety recall was completed. The invoice(s) must be dated, contain the vehicle identification number (VIN) and should be accompanied by one of the above acceptable document types."
(09-26-2012, 04:17 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]Nice bike Smile If you wait a few months the 600's usually drop by a grand or more in Canada. Due to winter Big Grin But then again if you get it here now you've got a good amount of riding time left.

I don't understand how people can buy nice bikes and then only put under 5k on them over 5 years. If I had a nicer bike i'm sure i'd have put more miles on mine. So far i'm at 15k this year until the salt gets deployed.....

Actually prices started to drop already. I'm only looking for really good deals. But trust me I'm not the only one out there hunting one down.
(09-26-2012, 04:36 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 04:17 AM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]Nice bike Smile If you wait a few months the 600's usually drop by a grand or more in Canada. Due to winter Big Grin But then again if you get it here now you've got a good amount of riding time left.

Actually prices started to drop already. I'm only looking for really good deals. But trust me I'm not the only one out there hunting one down.

Nik- make sure you read my post above ^^^
(09-26-2012, 04:37 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]

Thing is I did call the head office of US Honda. And the documented my call as "grey market". That VIN is in their system with that notice.
Can I honestly say that I f'ed myself up on this?

Now I told the seller to call and speak to their supervisor again requesting it as if US citizen buyer wants this paper.

I knew everything was going way too smooth Sad
(09-26-2012, 05:00 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]

Thing is I did call the head office of US Honda. And the documented my call as "grey market". That VIN is in their system with that notice.

Now I told the seller to call and speak to their supervisor again requesting it as if US citizen buyer wants this paper.

Thing is Nik - if the dealership creates the recall clearance letter for you, you don't need Honda US. So what if they have it listed as "grey market" - that doesn't prevent it from being exported to Canada - although you might get some grief on warranty repairs.

The only thing RIV needs to know is if there are any outstanding recalls and it seems pretty clear that any authorized dealer in the US can provide that.

(09-26-2012, 05:13 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]

Thing is Nik - if the dealership creates the recall clearance letter for you, you don't need Honda US. So what if they have it listed as "grey market" - that doesn't prevent it from being exported to Canada - although you might get some grief on warranty repairs.

The only thing RIV needs to know is if there are any outstanding recalls and it seems pretty clear that any authorized dealer in the US can provide that.

I think those dealers need to go through their head office.
(09-26-2012, 05:18 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 04:36 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Actually prices started to drop already. I'm only looking for really good deals. But trust me I'm not the only one out there hunting one down.

Well, maybe for some technical reason, but not as far as RIV is concerned.

If you go to any Ford dealer in Canada and give them your VIN they can tell you in 2 minutes if there is any outstanding recalls and they can give you a printout - I assume it's the same in the states, I'm not sure why it would be any different for a Honda dealership.

Did you tell the dealer that they can produce a clearance letter themselves?

EDIT: Nik - you can do it yourself just like it says in the RIV instructions. just go here, plug in the VIN and do a printout.
(09-26-2012, 05:23 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 04:37 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Nik- make sure you read my post above ^^^

If you go to any Ford dealer in Canada and give them your VIN they can tell you in 2 minutes if there is any outstanding recalls and they can give you a printout - I assume it's the same in the states, I'm not sure why it would be any different for a Honda dealership.

EDIT: Nik - you can do it yourself just like it says in the RIV instructions. just go here, plug in the VIN and do a printout.

I'm gonna try calling RIV now and see what's up.

But isn't this letter for when your bike is getting safetied (at Canadian Tire)??
(09-26-2012, 05:34 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 05:00 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is I did call the head office of US Honda. And the documented my call as "grey market". That VIN is in their system with that notice.

But isn't this letter for when your bike is getting safetied (at Canadian Tire)??

Nope - just to get it into the country. Safety is after you've successfully imported it.
Call Honda Canada and get the letter.. Idiots in the US. I've brought a Honda car over from the US for a buddy. Someone doesn't know their ass from their nose
(09-26-2012, 05:40 AM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]Call Honda Canada and get the letter.. Idiots in the US. I've brought a Honda car over from the US for a buddy. Someone doesn't know their ass from their nose

Just tried Brian. Called headquarter of Honda and they can not/ do not deal with US VIN #'s. Unreal.

So the buddy texted me back. He tried calling as well after me and they denied him as well. Wtf?! He said the supervisor that I was talking to from US Honda closed this bike down aka no one in Canada can register this bike.....i just f'ed it up for all Canadians.

Grey Market they say....lol

(09-26-2012, 05:36 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 05:34 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 05:13 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is Nik - if the dealership creates the recall clearance letter for you, you don't need Honda US. So what if they have it listed as "grey market" - that doesn't prevent it from being exported to Canada - although you might get some grief on warranty repairs.

Nope - just to get it into the country. Safety is after you've successfully imported it.

Ken check out below.

What to do before you import?

- Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles (this list includes passengers cars, trucks, vans, jeeps, chassis cabs, trailers, motorcycles, and snowmobiles less than 15 years old; off-road vehicles manufactured after May 1, 1988 and buses manufactured after Jan. 1, 1971. http://www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240)

- Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION)

- Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer’s recall clearance letter.

- Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests.

- Arrange for insurance.

- Present your vehicle along with original title docs to US Customs prior (72 hours) to entering Canada. http://www.customs.gov

- If you are importing a trailer you may call RIV to have your VIN number verified ahead of time.

What to do at the border?

- produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.

- Complete Vehicle Import Form- Form 1 which will be provided by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency formally Customs) this form must be kept with vehicle until it is licensed.

- CBSA will check vehicle against Transport Canada’s list of admissible vehicles they will also verify the public VIN #’s and manufacturer’s statement of compliance label to ensure a match.

- CBSA will facilitate the payment of your nonrefundable RIV fee of $182 in all provinces except Quebec where it is $197.

- Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to CBSA with major credit cards CBSA DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH OR CHEQUES FOR THE RIV FEE.

What to do after the vehicle enters Canada?

- Within 10 days, you should receive a letter from RIV with your inspection docs (form 2) which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance.

- It is your responsibility to complete the necessary mods within 45 days (they can be preformed by the garage of your choice)

- Make sure you keep receipts of all your modification work

- The RIV has contracted Canadian Tire to perform their federal inspections.

- When you pass the inspection they inspection center will stamp your form 1 and you will have to present this paper work to the licensing authority

- If the vehicle fails the inspection within the 45 days it will have to be exported.

Common Modifications?

Motorcycles
- recall clearance letter
- U.S statement of compliance (S.O.C Label) at the border
- The RIV will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you after passing the federal inspection
- Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
- Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
- All lights on

Restricted-Use Motorcycles

- Recall clearance letter
- Off-road statement label
- Reflectors

Numbers you’ll need?

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
1-888-848-8240
http://www.riv.ca
info@riv.ca

Canada Border Service Agency
1-800-461-9999 (English)
1-800-959-2036 (French)
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca

Transport Canada
1-800-333-0371
(613) 998-4831 (fax)
http://www.tc.gc.ca

United States Customs
http://www.customs.gov
(09-26-2012, 05:52 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: [ -> ]Ken check out below.

- Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION)

Nik - the devil is in the details. The RIV also has a definition for "Recall Clearance Letter" - please note the section in red and the section in blue.

Definition of Recall Clearance Letter

A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

OR

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site. Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

Please note should any of the above documentation indicate that there is an outstanding safety recall, the RIV may accept an invoice/work order from an authorized dealer confirming that the safety recall was completed. The invoice(s) must be dated, contain the vehicle identification number (VIN) and should be accompanied by one of the above acceptable document types."
Ken you're awesome. Just called RIV and they checked recall clearance on that bike for me. So that's out of the way. Feels good.

RIV told me Honda is always anal on these letters.

Good job team!