FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: To go jdm or not to?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After digging around some more, I think the best bang for my buck is going to be a mazdaspeed 3 or speed6. The supra is a amazing car but im not going to be able to use it year round and its not very practical.
(02-04-2013, 03:10 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]After digging around some more, I think the best bang for my buck is going to be a mazdaspeed 3 or speed6. The supra is a amazing car but im not going to be able to use it year round and its not very practical.

As former owner of two Svtf, and now Speed6, I have a few thoughts on the Mazda vehicles. I considered the Speed3 but it wasn't what I wanted to be in for the next four years. It felt like the Focus(not a bad thing). I wanted to get something that was a better fit for me. I thought going with the simple bolt on's, but I think I will keep it stock. The consensus with DI motors is any boost upgrades you will need a new or improved fuel pump ($500 to $1000), I was surprised with cost of the aftermarket parts being so high.
Some issues with the Mzr motor is failed timing chain tensioners and turbos blowing smoke. Mazda has extended the warranty to 140km on both parts. With the Speed6 the transfer case is a problem spot for the car. Look for oil leaks. The fix is about $1500 I know because my after market warranty covered it. My car has the unreliable keyless entry card. It's a major pos, never works costly to repair. Like all Mazda cars look for rust around the wheel wells. Other then transerfer case leak and keyless entry problems the car has been great.
Do you have to let the speed6 cool off at all before you shut it down? I have heard you have to wait a couple minutes before turning it off. Yea even with the added cost of the parts it still doesnt take much to hit good street car numbers.
just have a cooldown lap, or start driving like a normal person 1-2km from home...no need to sit and wait.
What I do when I know I'm going to turn off my car is... I put the car in neutral and let it coast for as long as possible. Usually that gives me 30seconds and when I come to a stop, I wait 30 seconds more. If I'm boosting hard I try to wait 2 minutes. Btw Hardcore I still have that part do you still want it?
If I pick one up im just going to upgrade the intercooler , intake and a catback.
My buddy Derek's R32 Skyline GTS-T is costing him somewhere close to $400/mth, and that's with it being insured and registered as a part-time vehicle too, not as a daily driver. That thing is crazy fun to drive (except for on the rough older streets of Ottawa...your lower back and kidneys won't be happy with you after a little while).
Pages: 1 2