FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Octane Boosters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the cooler weather fast approaching, sorry to say, I was curious if anyone has used an octane booster for the winter. I realize that in winter the fuel consumption increases, and the 2012 tells you straight in your face what your gas mileage is, sometimes annoyingly. I'm thinking that if an octane booster really works, it may help with the characteristics of winter gas. I ran my car in the summer on premium for a few weeks and noticed an improvement in performance, and if it wasn't a little too costly for my Scottish ancestory, I would still be using it.
The cost of premium vs octane booster is less expensive to actually jump 4 octane and a lot easier

I've run 94 for 3 years so I'm use to it personally paying 145+/l right now
ive been on premium since last summer so I'm used to it too lol
and frig I'm paying 1.42~ a litre by my house. Damn city living... it's 5-7cents cheaper an hour east!

ANYWAY

Octane Booster will only give you a fraction of an actual octane. If you're that stuck on it... just get a gas can, fill it with 94 and every fill up just add 5 litres to your tank.

What does the difference in gas mileage is the lack of Ethanol in premium gas, btw. And at that, Shell premium only. 99% of the time if I get gas somewhere else it's to get me through until a Shell.
(10-12-2012, 10:29 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]The cost of premium vs octane booster is less expensive to actually jump 4 octane and a lot easier

I've run 94 for 3 years so I'm use to it personally paying 145+/l right now

^^ Same for me - the cost of boost without Water-meth. Once I get my water-meth injection re-installed I'll go back to 87 'cause the meth increases the octane to past 94. There's still an added cost (a gallon of meth makes 2 gallons of water/meth which lasts me a couple of weeks of ordinary driving - and about 2 days on the track.

In the meantime I pay about .98 per litre of 93 in the states. Every time I go down there I come back with a full tank in the car and 25 gallons in the back.

x2 on just moving up to premium at the pump or living with the reduced efficiency for the winter - which is probably your least expensive route.
Definitley use a higher octane fuel instead of a booster. Running octane boosters doesn't increase octane like you think it does, not to mention it turns your spark plugs a rustic orange colour. I've run 94 in my car for 8 years now, I won't put anything else in my car. Shell 91 is the next best in my opinion, that fuel is good but also contains nitrogen which helps with a cleaner combustion.
Octane boosters are garbage and over hyped commercial trick.
I don't think higher octane fuel will help in winter. Higher octane is harder to ignite than lower octane, and the only reason to run higher octane is to prevent pre-ignition(detonation). Save your money put in 87.
^ the ethanol that is in regular gas is the main problem. Premium fuel (depending on location) typically has less or no ethanol in it and is a cleaner burning fuel

either way this topic is counter productive. Spend more money a liter on premium fuel, or spend more money on fuel due to less economy. Your going to spend the money either way, so do you want to spend less per fill up, or reduce the amount of fuel and save the earth?

Your call.

I think the key here for oldeguys sake, and anybody else that isn't boosted or all-motor high revving machine is to go with what the manfacturer recommends. If Ford says 87 is good, and they have tuned the ECU, injectors, etc. for 87, why run higher octane, except for in high load applications (towing, track day, etc.)?

Especially now, when most cars have knock sensors built in to pull timing if the engine starts to detonate (ping), what is the point in running higher octane fuel day to day, if your engine is tuned for regular?

I'm actually asking, if anybody has concrete proof that if I run 91 in my 87 tuned car that things will be better, then by all means!
slap it on a dyno!
Depends on the octane booster. I use lucas booster when I cant find the 94 my car is tuned for and it works.
Really nate? Everything I read about octane boosters said they'll add a fraction of an octane at best and that it's an overhyped gimmick.

Whatever works I guess. As for premium, I always thought it provided little benefit to most cars if it was tuned for 87. Only reason I run 91 is because of my tune, no tune no 91.
(10-20-2012, 08:57 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Really nate? Everything I read about octane boosters said they'll add a fraction of an octane at best and that it's an overhyped gimmick.

Whatever works I guess. As for premium, I always thought it provided little benefit to most cars if it was tuned for 87. Only reason I run 91 is because of my tune, no tune no 91.

The 2012 Focus is able to sense the octane in the fuel and adjust the timing, etc, to maximize performance of the car, for the fuel being used.
(10-21-2012, 12:11 AM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2012, 08:57 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Really nate? Everything I read about octane boosters said they'll add a fraction of an octane at best and that it's an overhyped gimmick.

The 2012 Focus is able to sense the octane in the fuel and adjust the timing, etc, to maximize performance of the car, for the fuel being used.

Does it actually sense the octane or is it simply a more sophisticated knock-sensing algorithm than earlier cars.
Uses knock sensors to pull timing and is constantly rechecking to verify fuel quality. Some ST's dealers have 87 into without issue as they were made somehow to run 87 I assume to reduce fuel costs
(10-21-2012, 07:33 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Uses knock sensors to pull timing and is constantly rechecking to verify fuel quality. Some ST's dealers have 87 into without issue as they were made somehow to run 87 I assume to reduce fuel costs

Right - but my 03 Zetec also does that (pulls timing if knock detected) ... I was curious to know if it was somehow more active or more sophisticated in the newer cars.
a lot more active, even the duratec one's are far more acting than the zetec ones
(10-21-2012, 08:29 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]a lot more active, even the duratec one's are far more acting than the zetec ones

Hmmm ... makes one wonder what would happen in a new ST with the addition of a water-meth injection system which can turn 87 into race gas in terms of octane
The st apparently is very sensitive to temperature change. I'm certain water meth would add a great deal of power combined with bolt on's and tuning
(10-21-2012, 10:12 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]The st apparently is very sensitive to temperature change. I'm certain water meth would add a great deal of power combined with bolt on's and tuning

FYI - a water-meth mixture of 50/50 (by weight, not volume) combined with regular gas produces an octane rating of between 105-120 depending on the spray nozzle used and temp etc.

PLUS - because water "absorbs" six times more heat than gas does - air intake temps are significantly reduced as well.
Pages: 1 2