FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Seafoam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
has anyone used Seafoam in their Focus before? does it work?
I KNOW A COUPLE GUYS THAT USED IT AND THEY LIKED IT
i do it once a year to clean anything out from the years abuse. Give it a shot and make sure to change your oil after. Im sure now that i do it so often, nothing has time to re-sludge or cake onto anything LOL
Yeah I agree with jamie, once a year and it'll keep your focus running nice and clean. Also run there Intake spray, it works awesome for cleaning your MAF and intake tubing.
Where do people suck it in with Zetec cars?
(10-16-2012, 12:24 PM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]Where do people suck it in with Zetec cars?

I made myself a little rig with plastic tubing and tapped into a vacuum line - it helps to have the ability to squeeze off the volume of Seafoam being drawn in as too much will cause it to stall.

And oh yeah - go somewhere away from your house and even your neighbourhood before you do a Seafoam treatment - unbelievable amount of white smoke.
(10-16-2012, 03:57 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2012, 12:24 PM)reldridge Wrote: [ -> ]Where do people suck it in with Zetec cars?

I made myself a little rig with plastic tubing and tapped into a vacuum line - it helps to have the ability to squeeze off the volume of Seafoam being drawn in as too much will cause it to stall.

And oh yeah - go somewhere away from your house and even your neighbourhood before you do a Seafoam treatment - unbelievable amount of white smoke.

lol i agree , my neighbour ran outside last time i did it and he thought something was on fire haha
This reminds that I've gotta do it.

I used to pour some into the Throttle Body.
(10-17-2012, 09:14 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]

According to the Seafoam website there are three ways to use it - put it in with the gas - put it in the oil - and draw it into a running engine using the vacuum - my personal opinion is pouring it into the engine through the throttle body is a risky business.

What you want is any vacuum line that leads to the intake manifold below the throttle plate.

AFAIK that would be something like the fuel pressure sensor, EVAP lines, brake booster (although the brake booster is tough location)

The EVAP or Fuel sender line is easier to get to. Just start the engine, pull the line and put your finger on the end of it to make sure it has vacuum.

What I did is put a vacuum tee in the fuel pressure sensor line; when not in use I put a cap on the tee part, and when I want to do the seafoam thing I take the cap off and put a vac line on it and the other end into the can of Seafoam. It works really well - in fact it draws enough to stall the engine so you want to keep the revs up and you want to be able to pinch off the vac line from the seafoam if it's drawing too much.
(10-17-2012, 09:57 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2012, 09:14 PM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]

According to the Seafoam website there are three ways to use it - put it in with the gas - put it in the oil - and draw it into a running engine using the vacuum - my personal opinion is pouring it into the engine through the throttle body is a risky business.

What you want is any vacuum line that leads to the intake manifold below the throttle plate.

AFAIK that would be something like the fuel pressure sensor, EVAP lines, brake booster (although the brake booster is tough location)

The EVAP or Fuel sender line is easier to get to. Just start the engine, pull the line and put your finger on the end of it to make sure it has vacuum.

What I did is put a vacuum tee in the fuel pressure sensor line; when not in use I put a cap on the tee part, and when I want to do the seafoam thing I take the cap off and put a vac line on it and the other end into the can of Seafoam. It works really well - in fact it draws enough to stall the engine so you want to keep the revs up and you want to be able to pinch off the vac line from the seafoam if it's drawing too much.

Next time your under the hood, could you take some pictures of how you put the tee part in? It sounds like a good idea, i plan on doing seafoam every year.
FWIW I poured about half a can of seafoam down the carburetor in my rx7 and another half in the gas tank. No regrets.

although down the carb did make a huge smoke show. I really should seafoam it again, but properly.
[/quote]

Next time your under the hood, could you take some pictures of how you put the tee part in? It sounds like a good idea, i plan on doing seafoam every year.

[/quote]

I agree, and also wheres the best place to buy?
i bought it at Canadian Tire
iv wanted to do this but the thought of sucking a powder into your motor just makes me cringe
(01-15-2013, 01:08 AM)drunkinmonkey Wrote: [ -> ]iv wanted to do this but the thought of sucking a powder into your motor just makes me cringe

Seafoam is a liquid.
would we be able to get a few pictures of that T-line you put in for it?
(01-17-2013, 05:41 AM)jtdanks Wrote: [ -> ]would we be able to get a few pictures of that T-line you put in for it?

Sure - but to be clear, all my vacuum lines are custom due to the supercharger so I'm not sure how much insight it will offer - I'll take a pic later today and post it up.
(01-17-2013, 07:38 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Sure - but to be clear, all my vacuum lines are custom due to the supercharger so I'm not sure how much insight it will offer - I'll take a pic later today and post it up.

fair enough,
if you get the seafoam intake cleaner it comes with a small U shaped bent plastic bit that you put in where the MAF housing and intake tube meets, so you can put everything together, run the car, and spray it while that cars running to clean out the MAF and intake mani.
Pages: 1 2