FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Heater Core!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm not sure if it's really it, but I think my heater core is leaking!
My windows fog up on the inside but I can't really smell anything. I don't see any leaks in the cabin either. Anything else I should check?
How hard or EASY is it to change the heater core? I'm hoping it won't require me to take it to the shop. I've changed one in my old '83 Mustang years ago.

Thanks for your help!
(10-18-2012, 09:12 AM)Gravter Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'm not sure if it's really it, but I think my heater core is leaking!
My windows fog up on the inside but I can't really smell anything. I don't see any leaks in the cabin either. Anything else I should check?
How hard or EASY is it to change the heater core? I'm hoping it won't require me to take it to the shop. I've changed one in my old '83 Mustang years ago.

Thanks for your help!

The fogging up certainly suggests water/moisture in the cabin, but IIRC a leaking heater core would dump coolant which you would definitely smell. Do you have any leaks into the cabin - perhaps a wet smell after a car wash or rain? Do you sweat profusely LOL?

Replacing is by my standards definitely a DIY job - but according to the manual it looks to be a few hours.

1. Drain coolant
    Using the special tool, disconnect the coolant hoses from the heater core
    Remove the floor console
    Remove the rear footwell vent air ducts
    Remove the footwell lower trim panel
    Open the glove compartment.
    Remove the footwell vent air duct; Pull off the hose.
    Close the glove compartment; Remove the footwell trim; Remove the left-hand and right-hand retaining screws
    Remove the accelerator pedal; Disconnect the electrical connector
    Detach the rear steel clip NOTE: Take care not to damage the seat when detaching the clip
    Remove the left-hand and right-hand in-vehicle crossbeam bracket
    Remove the heater core air duct housing
    Remove the heater core retaining bolt.
    Remove the heater core

Holly crap! Those are a lot of steps to remove the core! Damn!!!
I will have a closer look to see if there is any moisture in the cabin and no, I don't sweat so much! lol.

Thanks
Have you checked your A/C? I had the same problem until I recharged my A/C, now my windows never fog up.
+1 for moisture, check the spare tire well too. We have had a lot of rain lately in southern ontario. Make sure all your windows are up too. I've had rears left down a 1/4 inch without realizing for days
The Mustang would have been a lot easier. I know, I've done it on my '84. Smile

-remove glove box
-remove access panel
-under hose clamps
-remove heater core.
reverse Big Grin

Do you smell the sweet smell of antifreeze in teh car?
No, thats just it, I don't smell the usual prestone smell!
I will have another look today and see if I find any moisture on the carpet or trunk.
One thing I did notice, it seems to be worst, a lot worse, when I go from "defrost" position to half defrost/feet position!
Wondering if it has something to do with my "air re-circulation" control!
Thanks for all your input!
Hmmm, I finally had time to check out if I had a leaky core yesterday.
Well, I did not find a leak, but what I do think is happening, as I mentioned in another post, I was thinking about the "fresh air" damper.
When I looked behind the glove box yesterday, I noticed the damper was open, as in recirculating in cabin air! My controller was not set to that!
So, now I have to figure out was is wrong with it. Either dead motor/actuator or fuse or whatever!
For now, I will be clamping it closed so that it takes in fresh air only!
I'm going for a drive soon, so I will see if that was it!
Smile
(11-26-2012, 01:59 AM)Gravter Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, I finally had time to check out if I had a leaky core yesterday.
Well, I did not find a leak, but what I do think is happening, as I mentioned in another post, I was thinking about the "fresh air" damper.
When I looked behind the glove box yesterday, I noticed the damper was open, as in recirculating in cabin air! My controller was not set to that!
So, now I have to figure out was is wrong with it. Either dead motor/actuator or fuse or whatever!
For now, I will be clamping it closed so that it takes in fresh air only!
I'm going for a drive soon, so I will see if that was it!
Smile

Well that would certainly cause the problem you described - good catch, never heard of that happening before.