FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Kanata ford ottawa scam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guy been a while but i need some advice

Long story short i bought a 2008 f250 4x4 6.4 twin turbo diesel.
So i pic up the truck from Kanada ford in Ottawa around 30 days ago
Im working in Ottawa so i drive it home 3h north to Bancroft. I immediately hear what i think is not a normal noise from the turbo i assume its just in my head.
Day 2 of owning the truck i take it to show my buddy (a ford tec) he 100% confirms the turbo is making a bad noise. In testing this i put the truck in 4x4 hold the brakes and gas trying to put the motor under load. It works the noise is very loud when the motor is under load. But if it is driven like a normal person its almost undetectable. But in doing this test i realize that the 4x4 is not working. i do a few tests and confirm that the 4x4 dose not work unless you manually lock the hubs.

So im pissed i just bought a truck with potentially 2 bad turbos and no working 4x4
Im at home not in Ottawa so Monday my first day back in Ottawa i take the truck back to Kanada ford they look at it and confirm what me and my buddy assume it needs a turbo and the 4x4 doesn’t work.
This is where it starts t get good.
The first guy i talk to says i am gona have to pay out of my pocket to fix the issues. Immediately i pull rank on him and talk to a mangier and they assure me that they will fix the truck out of there pocket and i have nothing to worry abought.
But i am told that the turbos are on back order for 30days i am told it is ok to drive it and they will call me when the turbo is in stock and the will fix all my issues at once.

Fast forward to today day 30 i call after talking to multiple people i find that the turbo was never ordered and that they want me to bring my truck in so they can look at it to confirm the work it needs
I question why the need to see the truck for a second time but get nowhere over the phone. I immediately drive to kanada ford to try and get some kind of clarification on this.

After talking to multiple people no one claims they can help me so finally get to talk to a manager and he explains

That the reason the turbo was never ordered was because i bought the extended warranty and you cant put in a claim until 45days after the truck is bought.

So he says all they can do is make an appointment to get it looked at on the 29th day 45 the first day my warranty is usable

I explain that this is not my problem they sold me a 4x4 truck with no working 4x4 and a truck that has a down turbo and i only have 75% power. I demand they resolve this problem now and do not put it through my warranty that i am not ok with driving my truck and potentially doing long term damage to the motor.

I explain that the only reason i let it go this long was i was told there was no way to get a turbo as it was on a 30day back order.

Now i find out that they could have fixed/ordered the parts on day 3 when i first bought the truck but they tried to lie to me so they could put it trough my warranty so they wouldn’t have to foot the bill

I could not talk to the owner as he was not there but when i left i was told my only option was to bring my truck in on the 29th they will look at it and fix it under my warranty.

This is bullshit now i have to drive my truck for 10 more days potentially doing long term damage to my engine because they want to save some money?

What if i didn’t buy the extended warranty?
Would they fix it then?
I am not ok with being lied to and being tricked into driving the truck for 45 days with a downed turbo. I believe a reputable dealer should have resolved the problem on day 3 when i first brought the truck back.

What do i do. Should i contact ford Canada?
They are saying my only option is to do it under my warranty and the risk associated with driving it with a downed turbo is on my shoulders and they are not liable.

I feel i should be entitled to something.
(10-20-2012, 12:09 PM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guy been a while but i need some advice

Long story short i bought a 2008 f250 4x4 6.4 twin turbo diesel.
So i pic up the truck from Kanada ford in Ottawa around 30 days ago
Im working in Ottawa so i drive it home 3h north to Bancroft. I immediately hear what i think is not a normal noise from the turbo i assume its just in my head.
Day 2 of owning the truck i take it to show my buddy (a ford tec) he 100% confirms the turbo is making a bad noise. In testing this i put the truck in 4x4 hold the brakes and gas trying to put the motor under load. It works the noise is very loud when the motor is under load. But if it is driven like a normal person its almost undetectable. But in doing this test i realize that the 4x4 is not working. i do a few tests and confirm that the 4x4 dose not work unless you manually lock the hubs.

So im pissed i just bought a truck with potentially 2 bad turbos and no working 4x4
Im at home not in Ottawa so Monday my first day back in Ottawa i take the truck back to Kanada ford they look at it and confirm what me and my buddy assume it needs a turbo and the 4x4 doesn’t work.
This is where it starts t get good.
The first guy i talk to says i am gona have to pay out of my pocket to fix the issues. Immediately i pull rank on him and talk to a mangier and they assure me that they will fix the truck out of there pocket and i have nothing to worry abought.
But i am told that the turbos are on back order for 30days i am told it is ok to drive it and they will call me when the turbo is in stock and the will fix all my issues at once.

Fast forward to today day 30 i call after talking to multiple people i find that the turbo was never ordered and that they want me to bring my truck in so they can look at it to confirm the work it needs
I question why the need to see the truck for a second time but get nowhere over the phone. I immediately drive to kanada ford to try and get some kind of clarification on this.

After talking to multiple people no one claims they can help me so finally get to talk to a manager and he explains

That the reason the turbo was never ordered was because i bought the extended warranty and you cant put in a claim until 45days after the truck is bought.

So he says all they can do is make an appointment to get it looked at on the 29th day 45 the first day my warranty is usable

I explain that this is not my problem they sold me a 4x4 truck with no working 4x4 and a truck that has a down turbo and i only have 75% power. I demand they resolve this problem now and do not put it through my warranty that i am not ok with driving my truck and potentially doing long term damage to the motor.

I explain that the only reason i let it go this long was i was told there was no way to get a turbo as it was on a 30day back order.

Now i find out that they could have fixed/ordered the parts on day 3 when i first bought the truck but they tried to lie to me so they could put it trough my warranty so they wouldn’t have to foot the bill

I could not talk to the owner as he was not there but when i left i was told my only option was to bring my truck in on the 29th they will look at it and fix it under my warranty.

This is bullshit now i have to drive my truck for 10 more days potentially doing long term damage to my engine because they want to save some money?

What if i didn’t buy the extended warranty?
Would they fix it then?
I am not ok with being lied to and being tricked into driving the truck for 45 days with a downed turbo. I believe a reputable dealer should have resolved the problem on day 3 when i first brought the truck back.

What do i do. Should i contact ford Canada?
They are saying my only option is to do it under my warranty and the risk associated with driving it with a downed turbo is on my shoulders and they are not liable.

I feel i should be entitled to something.

Well that is definitely a shitty situation; unfortunately calling Ford of Canada will only get you more riled up - they will waste your time then tell you that you should really try to resolve it with the dealer.

The first thing you need to do is check the RBA (Retail Buyers Agreement) which is the governing document for everything that happens the minute you sign it.

Check the fine print for any kind of warranty or guarantee information - you need to know what it says; feel free to post it up here for the rest of us to look at.

Most used vehicles sold at a factory dealership come with some sort of warranty - 30 days or something like that - check your paperwork and/or their website to see what they offer.

The other thing you need to check is which extended warranty did you buy - or more importantly, which warranty do you think you were buying. If it was the Ford extended warranty (ESP) I don't recall there being any kind of waiting period - it continues on the minute the factory warranty expires.

Being a 2008, with whatever mileage, it is possible your truck wasn't eligible for the Ford ESP in which case you were sold an aftermarket warranty - so you need to know the name of the warranty company and make yourself familiar with its fine print.

In the meantime don't do anything to piss off the dealer - in the case of a warranty claim against an aftermarket warranty company they could be your best friend for life.

Keep us up to speed with what's going on.
Ill look into it. But it was ESP that I bought
(10-20-2012, 12:47 PM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]Ill look into it. But it was ESP that I bought

Honestly that would be surprising. That would mean that the truck was originally put on the road sometime in October of 2009 - and while technically possible - as I said, somewhat surprising for a 2008 model pickup with diesel.
Nope I have esp its a 12month 20000km bumper to bumper but either way it still dosnt change how they are dealing with this I am confident that all the repares will be done but where dose one draw the line they lied to me.
(10-20-2012, 12:55 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2012, 12:47 PM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]Ill look into it. But it was ESP that I bought

Honestly that's surprising. My remembrance of ESP was that it had to be bought while the vehicle was still under the Factory warranty coverage. Even if your vehicle was put in service on the last day of 2008 that warranty would have expired 10 months ago.

Right - but with an ESP you can take your car to any Ford dealer and it's covered. Do you have a copy of the warranty? Does it state anything about 45 wait period?

Also: when was the original in-service date of the vehicle - it may have been covered by the original warranty when you had the problem.

BTW - the 45 day wait period could be right in the sense of with the ESP the dealer might be on the hook for any repairs required within the first 45 days (to prevent dealers from selling rotten cars and beating Ford warranty for the cost of repairs) ... but you shouldn't have any wait period.

In this case actually I do recommend you call Ford Canada - but ask to talk to the warranty administration folks first; see if you can connect with them about the so-called wait period.

Edit: copied and pasted from Ford of Canada pdf for DieselCare ESP

• Coverage begins at the time of plan purchase and ends
at the selected time, distance travelled, or vehicle hours
(if equipped with hour meter), whichever occurs first.
Time and distance travelled limitations are calculated
from zero kilometres and the warranty start date
(whichever occurs first).
I will look at all my paper work and post up any thing of any use but what gets me is what if I didn't buy esp if I brought the truck back 3days aftor buying it with this issue I'd like to think it would have been addressed at that time. Right.
(10-20-2012, 01:03 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Right - but with an ESP you can take your car to any Ford dealer and it's covered. Do you have a copy of the warranty? Does it state anything about 45 wait period?

Also: when was the original in-service date of the vehicle - it may have been covered by the original warranty when you had the problem.

BTW - the 45 day wait period could be right in the sense of with the ESP the dealer might be on the hook for any repairs required within the first 45 days (to prevent dealers from selling rotten cars and beating Ford warranty for the cost of repairs) ... but you shouldn't have any wait period.

In this case actually I do recommend you call Ford Canada - but ask to talk to the warranty administration folks first; see if you can connect with them about the so-called wait period.

Edit: copied and pasted from Ford of Canada pdf for DieselCare ESP

• Coverage begins at the time of plan purchase and ends
at the selected time, distance travelled, or vehicle hours
(if equipped with hour meter), whichever occurs first.
Time and distance travelled limitations are calculated
from zero kilometres and the warranty start date
(whichever occurs first).

Honestly with how many times I've fought with different dealerships over different types are cars. No dealler is going to do anything out of they're buget.

Like Ken said don't piss them off, they tecnically have you by the nuts. So hold on for the ride. If you only have to replace the Turbo you'll be lucky. If that Turbo seal blows due to the damage from you driving it, even though the dipshits at the service counter told you it was ok, you with have to replace most of the exhaust system because you will fill your Cats with as much oil as your oil pump can pump out. Some places can do an acid bath to the cats but most dealer ships won't waste they're time cleaning when they can sell and make money off of labour.
Even though you bought the warranty that really mean nothing. All contracts have loop holes and they will do everything they can to get out of it. Also if they do the work DO NOT TAKE/SIGN for the truck untill you have been out driving it and looking at it to make sure it is all fixed.

I really wish you best of luck.
I would take it to another dealer and have them do the work. I think what Ken is getting at, is the dealer is on the hook for the first 30 days of any used vehicle repairs. So if you have an issue, they try and delay the issue until 30 or more days passes and Ford doesn't seem suspicious of the issues and pays the dealer instead of the dealer fixing the issues out of their pocket in the first place.
We have/had a member on here who was a diesel tech at either Campbell's or Donnelly's... He might be able to help out.

His name is xXCMGXx on here...
hey if i can get your VIN number i can check your in-service date and what kind of warranty you have left....this should be covered by powertrain......(working at a ford dealer right now)
1FTSW21RX8EB24520

update: i have 3 attempts to contact the owner today buy phone and none of my calls have been reterned.

(10-23-2012, 12:38 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]hey if i can get your VIN number i can check your in-service date and what kind of warranty you have left....this should be covered by powertrain......(working at a ford dealer right now)

ah theres ya problem....your warranty start date is May 22 2007.....so its past 5 years....also it depends on your milage...but id say your screwed both ways....its up to the dealer now...i do see you have the basecare warranty but that wouldnt cover major engine components...
Y dosnt it. I have the paper work saying that it is covered?
(10-23-2012, 05:53 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]ah theres ya problem....your warranty start date is May 22 2007.....so its past 5 years....also it depends on your milage...but id say your screwed both ways....its up to the dealer now...i do see you have the basecare warranty but that wouldnt cover major engine components...

hmmm basecare does cover turbos...i stand corrected, so they should have had your truck fixed by now.....sounds like your getting the run around....id call ford....
Exactly my point. I have spoke to the manager in person he was useless and now I have left the owner 4 messages today and he has not returned any of my calls.
(10-23-2012, 06:19 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]hmmm basecare does cover turbos...i stand corrected, so they should have had your truck fixed by now.....sounds like your getting the run around....id call ford....

They've already put their stake in the ground - it is likely that this kind of practice stems from the owner's way of doing business; the fact that he didn't call you back after the first call should be your cue to leave and take the truck to another dealership.

Don't bother calling Ford customer service - I know for a fact that their number one priority is to send you back to the dealer - years ago I used to write the telephone scripts for the operators - I know what I'm talking about; they will tell you to make nice with your dealer or take it to another dealer.

Another dealer won't have the same risk as yours - he will be happy to get a nice big juicy turbo job to run through their shop and they might even be happy to stick it to Kanata Ford - double win.

No offense, but why are you even bothering with these guys anymore - they've already told you in no uncertain terms what they think of you as a customer - you should kick them to the curb.

(10-23-2012, 06:22 AM)Jmountney1 Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly my point. I have spoke to the manager in person he was useless and now I have left the owner 4 messages today and he has not returned any of my calls.
(10-23-2012, 06:19 AM)buzz2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]hmmm basecare does cover turbos...i stand corrected, so they should have had your truck fixed by now.....sounds like your getting the run around....id call ford....

Question... Why are you sticking with Kanata, other than you bought the truck from them? If your warranty is with Ford, you can go to any dealer.

Campbell's and Kanata are both Hodinott dealers, so I'd skip Campbell, as their business practices would be the same. Maybe try Carleton Ford out in Carleton Place, as I've never heard anything bad about them.
i will take good care of your baby Smile Thanks for dropping it off today
im assuming you work at Embrun Ford lol just droped it off hopfully it all gets sorted out.

are you the tec that is working on it?

(10-23-2012, 10:34 PM)xXCMGXx Wrote: [ -> ]i will take good care of your baby Smile Thanks for dropping it off today

Pages: 1 2