FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Excessive Gas Consumption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well the wife started using the other Focus, It was filled up and only managed 320km's on a full tank. Spark plugs were changed along with the wires, new air filter, checked tire pressures, Is there something im missing? My ZX3 and my Wagon get 420 to 450 on a full tank and thats being a lead footTongue
(11-02-2012, 09:13 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: [ -> ]Well the wife started using the other Focus, It was filled up and only managed 320km's on a full tank. Spark plugs were changed along with the wires, new air filter, checked tire pressures, Is there something im missing? My ZX3 and my Wagon get 420 to 450 on a full tank and thats being a lead footTongue

Oil changed, fuel filter changed, winter gas? Cold weather
(11-02-2012, 11:47 AM)oldeguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2012, 09:13 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: [ -> ]Well the wife started using the other Focus, It was filled up and only managed 320km's on a full tank. Spark plugs were changed along with the wires, new air filter, checked tire pressures, Is there something im missing? My ZX3 and my Wagon get 420 to 450 on a full tank and thats being a lead footTongue

Oil changed, fuel filter changed, winter gas? Cold weather

Oil and filter changed, havent changed the fuel filter, and winter gas?
Winter gas sucks for mileage

Has she been warming the car up before going out for extended periods?
(11-02-2012, 09:37 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Winter gas sucks for mileage

That is probably it right there. My girlfriend does the same thing and it bugs the hell out of me when she complains gas is expensive.
(11-02-2012, 09:13 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: [ -> ]Well the wife started using the other Focus...

^^ Problem #1 LOL

I know my wife has a lead foot, starting off its pedal to the metal Smile Combine that with wintergas, warming up the car.
ya, with the winter gas and warming car up in the morning, i cant break 400km's on the ST LOL

mind you, i also have a heavy foot which is hard not to do in this car... it just wants to accelerate in every gear lol
(11-02-2012, 09:37 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Winter gas sucks for mileage

She warms it up the same as me but 5 mins tops. What you guys talking about winter gas , You on about that Husky crap?

no, soon as this time of the year comes around, they change to a winter blend of gas. Look at every petro canada, they usually have a blue sticker or something like that on every pump saying something about having the best winter gas blah blah blah.

They formulate it different due to changing temperatures, reduce the chance of condensation causing freezing in your tank/lines and is suppose to be better on cold start ups. Their website states " It evaporates more readily than summer gasoline for improved cold weather start-ups." which may have a reason behind the poor fuel mileage

heres a link to petro's site on winter gas

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/wholesalefuel/318.aspx
(11-03-2012, 02:03 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]no, soon as this time of the year comes around, they change to a winter blend of gas. Look at every petro canada, they usually have a blue sticker or something like that on every pump saying something about having the best winter gas blah blah blah.

They formulate it different due to changing temperatures, reduce the chance of condensation causing freezing in your tank/lines and is suppose to be better on cold start ups. Their website states " It evaporates more readily than summer gasoline for improved cold weather start-ups." which may have a reason behind the poor fuel mileage

heres a link to petro's site on winter gas

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/wholesalefuel/318.aspx

Oh ok thats why ive never seen it I dont ever use Petro Canada I usually use Shell Cant say ive noticed it there

I NEVER fill up on Petro and we had -45 days and no problems from fuel. Gasoline doesnstart to get slushy till round -57C.
everywhere switches there blends, there is no getting away from it. All gasoline coming from the US gets switched september/october to the winter blends of fuel. Why do you think the gas prices drop like crazy around this time of year????

The winter gas is cheaper to make and also carriers more ethanol in it than summer blends do. Go some reading up on it on the web. I never looked into it until a year ago. I had no idea and it makes sense why the prices fluctuate so much
Wow never noticed before Well being from England never heard of winter tires or people plugging a car in lol
clean MAF, swap first 02 sensor an new spark plugs.