FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fiat Bying Into Chrysler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heard this moring on CP24 that FIAT had bought 35% of Chrysler and are planning on bring some of their Italian ponies over here.
Hurray for me because I'm tired of these idoits testing the 300's, Magnums and Chargers down my street. Finally something different to look at.
Dear god I hope they've learned their lessons from the last time they sold cars over here :ph34r:

Here's a hint FIAT, we have this thing called "snow" in Canada that they use something called "salt" to deal with and that salt tends to be corrosive on untreated metal <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 20 2009, 04:01 PM Wrote:Dear god I hope they've learned their lessons from the last time they sold cars over here :ph34r:

Here's a hint FIAT, we have this thing called "snow" in Canada that they use something called "salt" to deal with and that salt tends to be corrosive on untreated metal <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279886[/snapback][/right]

OMG thats funny, I nearly inhaled my cig whole laughing at that one :lol:
Just spray it down daily with oil... problem solved. ;)

I think all those Viper drivers just shat themselves a tad. :o :lol: :lol:
Will I be able to buy my Ferrari from a Chrysler dealer?
Not to worry, my dad had a Fiat back in the 70's the era I was born in. It survived so it should survive here if daimler chrystler and fiat joint venture goes forward.

paolo,Jan 21 2009, 05:15 PM Wrote:Not to worry, my dad had a Fiat back in the 70's the era I was born in.  It survived so it should survive here if daimler chrystler and fiat joint venture goes forward.
[right][snapback]279945[/snapback][/right]

Man what FIAT are you talking about? Last ones they sold here disintegrated like wet paper after a few winters if you didn't treat them yourself (The frames esp.)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 21 2009, 07:58 PM Wrote:
paolo,Jan 21 2009, 05:15 PM Wrote:Not to worry, my dad had a Fiat back in the 70's the era I was born in.  It survived so it should survive here if daimler chrystler and fiat joint venture goes forward.
[right][snapback]279945[/snapback][/right]

Man what FIAT are you talking about? Last ones they sold here disintegrated like wet paper after a few winters if you didn't treat them yourself (The frames esp.)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279970[/snapback][/right]

My most vivid memory of living in Mississauga was my best friend's Dad constantly working on Fiats and Ladas (mid 80s).
The agreement involves two new minicars (A-segment) that share the same platform. The first is the aforementioned Fiat 500 and the second, a five-door hatchback based on the Fiat Panda, will likely be badged as a Chrysler or Dodge. This should help both automakers with the 2011 U.S. fuel economy standards and give Chrysler a serious sub-compact offering.

Moving up to the B segment, Chrysler could get the next generation Fiat Grande Punto, Alfa could begin selling the MiTo and the same platform could be used to create a small crossover for Chrysler. There's also talk of Chrysler being afforded access to Fiat's 1.4- and 1.8-liter four-cylinder direct-injection engines. Chrysler could produce both at one of its own factories, likely in turbocharged guise at its Dundee, Michigan plant, but a source indicates that Chrysler is only interested in the 1.4-liter variant.

On the mid-size front, Chrysler – which is in desperate need of both C- and D-segment models to replace the Caliber/Compass and Sebring/Avenger, respectively – could utilize Fiat's new C-Evo architecture to create a new sedan and a more respectable compact car. The C-Evo underpinnings will be used first on the Alfa Romeo 147 replacement, currently codenamed project 940, which takes some stylistic cues from the 8C Competitizione.

And what's Fiat get out of all this? An inexpensive entry into the North American market, manufacturing capacity and a sizeable distribution network. And if you think Chrysler is getting all the goods, Fiat plans to distribute the Dodge Journey and Dakota pickup in South America, and will be able to utilize Chrysler's new Phoenix V6 in its own line of products. Not quite balanced, but hardly a bad deal.
ZX3_2NV,Jan 26 2009, 04:31 PM Wrote:The agreement involves two new minicars (A-segment) that share the same platform. The first is the aforementioned Fiat 500 and the second, a five-door hatchback based on the Fiat Panda, will likely be badged as a Chrysler or Dodge. This should help both automakers with the 2011 U.S. fuel economy standards and give Chrysler a serious sub-compact offering.[right][snapback]280207[/snapback][/right]
This is both interesting and ironic considering that the new Ford Ka is also based on the Fiat 500.