FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So it Seems....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
.... I have a EGR valve problem .

P0401 CEL

Car is now bogging , but eventually does go away .

I consider myself a bit of a car guy , but mostly paint and body and not so much mechanical. So I have changed my DPFE sensor(did for the CEL but no change).
And now i am thinking my EGR valve , now correct me if i am wrong but the big round disc looking thing with a vaccum hose coming out the top under the intake hose is the egr valve?

Does anyone happen to have a EGR valve they are willing to part with very very inexpensive like?
I think I have a few EGR valves, let me take a look tonight. SVT is EGR valve less so I don't need to hold on to them anymore.
is there a difference between a SVT EGR and a Zetec EGR? atleast as far as installing it
Svt doesn't have an egr I have this stuff from the 4 other focus I've had.
oh awesome ,yea let me know .
I found one here yours if you want it
how much you want for it?
So i installed the new EGR , and my car still bogs , and the brake get hard too.

Eventually going away , and sometimes doesn`t even happen at all .

BTW the old EGR really needed to be changed , it had rusted through and had holes in it.
i am completly and utterly stumped.
Check for VAC leaks.

At the back of the intake, there is a rubber tube going from a hard line on the side of the engine. That hose sometimes colapses and gets a hole in it. It is for the PCV... if that is busted you'll have all the same symptoms. check ALL vac lines, but this is my #1 suspect.
Also... Good time to also examine and check PCV and boot around oil separator...
Alright i will have another look and see what i can find. i looked but hard to get back there.

here is the old EGR
[Image: 6tiiro.jpg]

and here is the new one , and a decent look behind the egr at stuff

[Image: 2s7uzjq.jpg]
The hose this guy is showing usually f's up.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZ3t60mLhY
that makes it clear , i will have a look tomorrow and see what i find, if it is the problem i hope i can get the clamp off easier than he seems to have
If that doesn't work check coil pack and cables. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my coil pack was going. But Def check those vacuum hoses first. But if it's effecting your brakes I'd Def check the line going to the brake booster too.
Here`s and update.

Passenger CV axle had to be replaced , as it was off balance and causeing a vibration

Winter tires are finally on.

Still need tone rings on the rear drums.

mechanic scanned and test drove to try and find the bogging and brake booster getting hard , didn`t happen to him and admittedly this week hasn`t had an issue , so it may be a cold weather issue as its milder than it usually is now.

I will finally drive it myself tonight and see how it feels and go from there.
Yea my car gets funky in the cold and then on a warm day its like nothing was wrong with it.
im hopeing it is just the cold. cause if there is some mystery problem that will plague me for a long time to come.

But i did drive mine , no vibration , everything feels good , still no ABS or traction control , but i can deal with that