FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Long Until the Battery Dies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just wondering how long the battery should keep a charge in the winter to be able to start the car. My Optima Yellow Top seems to die in 3 days if I do not drive the car. Is it time for a new one this one is getting close to the 120 month warranty period ending?
Thanks
David[/u]
If the battery is not used for extended times i'd put in a battery kill to remove any parasitic draw on the battery. That said 3 days is not good. I've left my SVT parked most of the summer with a start up and drive once or twice.
Thanks, I know its not the alternator had that changed in the summer and the voltage is good when driving, pretty sure its time for a new battery been in the car since new (close to 10 years) with some pretty crazy stereo use.
(12-29-2012, 12:47 AM)NoiSeeVT Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I know its not the alternator had that changed in the summer and the voltage is good when driving, pretty sure its time for a new battery been in the car since new (close to 10 years) with some pretty crazy stereo use.

FWIW - found this on the internet - might be an option for you.

How To Refurbish Car Battery (sulphur removal)

Instructions
Loosen the battery cables with a crescent wrench and remove the battery. Use baking soda to clean the terminals and battery cables so you get good contact when the battery is reinstalled.

Mix a solution of 1/2 gallon distilled water and 1/2 lb. Epsom salts. Stir until the salts are dissolved (if you use warm water this is a lot easier). Always use distilled water because the chemicals in tap water can damage a battery. Remove the battery cell caps and drain the water from the battery. If your car battery is of the sealed type, you'll need to find the shadow plugs (they'll be marked on the top of the battery) and drill through them.

Use a funnel to fill each cell of the battery with the Epsom salt solution. Once you have filled each cell, shake the battery to make sure the solution is well distributed.

Place the battery on a charger using a slow (trickle) charge for 24 hours. Remove the battery from the charger and replace the battery caps. For sealed batteries, buy plastic plugs from an auto parts store and insert them in the drill holes. Reinstall the battery and make sure the battery cables are properly fastened. Your battery should now work properly.

Repeat the charging process two or three times over the next week to complete the refurbishing process. This helps to remove any remaining sulfur from the lead plates inside the battery. If you store the battery for a long time, place it on a trickle charger to prevent sulfur from accumulating on the plates again, as the battery drains while not in use.