FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Don't Put Your Number On The Do Not Call List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone who saw the news the other night, in Calgary, they did a investigation into the Do Not Call List, and with a 50 dollar fee they were able to get EVERYONE's numbers who registered on the list. Now How this works is IN Canada the people who are telemarketers buy this list so they can avoid calling you. But they can still buy this list. Saddly the people OUTSIDE Canada arn't legally restricted so the can still call and they CAN ALSO get this list off the Do Not Call site.

So it pretty much means you register your number for everyone to get access too. And the people in charge have said short of changing your number and EVERYONE's number there isn't a damn thing they can do about this mess.
paolo,Jan 16 2009, 04:43 PM Wrote:Anyone who saw the news the other night, in Calgary, they did a investigation into the Do Not Call List, and with a 50 dollar fee they were able to get EVERYONE's numbers who registered on the list. Now How this works is IN Canada the people who are telemarketers buy this list so they can avoid calling you. But they can still buy this list. Saddly the people OUTSIDE Canada arn't legally restricted so the can still call and they CAN ALSO get this list off the Do Not Call site.

So it pretty much means you register your number for everyone to get access too. And the people in charge have said short of changing your number and EVERYONE's number there isn't a damn thing they can do about this mess.
[right][snapback]279695[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the heads up ... but really, we're fawked if we do and fawked if we don't ... the only real option, which would take a while to take effect, is to pay Bell extra to make your number unlisted --- personally I'd like to see the CRTC force Bell to make that a no-fee option.
Or pay for caller ID services and then ignore those idiots when they call <_<

NefCanuck
or be like my family and not even answer the house phone :P only time its used is to call long distance, and for everything else, there mastercard... i mean cell phones haha
GFXjamie,Jan 16 2009, 06:26 PM Wrote:or be like my family and not even answer the house phone :P only time its used is to call long distance, and for everything else, there mastercard... i mean cell phones haha
[right][snapback]279704[/snapback][/right]

LOL! Ya it does get annoying after ignoring the same numbers over and over again... luckily we didn't get on the do not call list, it'd probably get worse had we registered our number on that list!
sadly I signed up....still tho not many telemarketer calls since that...
hardk0re,Jan 16 2009, 08:44 PM Wrote:sadly I signed up....still tho not many telemarketer calls since that...
[right][snapback]279709[/snapback][/right]

I did too, have not had a single telemarketer call yet. hmm kinda sucks though.
Frost__2001,Jan 17 2009, 07:20 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,Jan 16 2009, 08:44 PM Wrote:sadly I signed up....still tho not many telemarketer calls since that...
[right][snapback]279709[/snapback][/right]

I did too, have not had a single telemarketer call yet. hmm kinda sucks though.
[right][snapback]279717[/snapback][/right]

yeah i signed up too. It was so easy. Just put in the number and you are done. i've also signed up my parents, brother, and everyone else that i know. Now that i want to cancel that crap, i have to call a number from those phone numbers! opps :)

ohh well i haven't got anyone calling me since i put the number on, its been over 4 months i guess. Also i know ppl are saying others can buy this list out of canada, but seriously know is going to pay long distance charge to bug me? :D
I signed up and have been free from telemarketers ever since, it's been great. I do miss the game of answering the phone, hearing the pause and seeing if I can hang up before the dips*** on the other end get on the line.
I pick it up, wait for them to start talking, tell them to hang on a sec and walk away... for like 5-10 minutes. Most call centres don't let them hang up unless they can prove (when the call is reviewed) that no one is there. I just yell at the phone randomly and s*** so they have to stay on.

I mean, I need some entertainment as I feed the dog and cats, right? :P

f*** 'em. Cold calling isn't a job, it's paying someone to harass people. If they won't give me their number so I can call them back, I tell them if they do it again I'll conference call them with the local police station as I advise I'll be filing harassment charges.

I don't get many calls later, either. :D

These guys are as bad as the new booths at the mall with the damn s***ty cell phone gadgets... they actually come storming at you, trying to get your attention. I walked around a chick once... she was like "what are you doing?"

"I'm trying to figure out how to mark you as spam". :lol: :lol:
I signed up and havent been getting as many calls. still get that:

' HHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, this is your captain speaking, you won......"

Hate that guy, the horn is so f***in loud.
My phone allows me to block incoming numbers... so I'll be adding the ones who don't stop calling to my phone's stop calling list.

Sure the phone won't silence the ring till after the 1st ring (since caller-id arrives in that gap between the 1st ring and 2nd ring).. but close enough for my purposes.

BTW... I gave to the Police association and Habitat for humanity once.. Biggest mistake I ever made. "We won't call you again until next year".. .well, in my world, 1 year = 12 months, not 2.