FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Unlock Bell Phone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a cell phone from a friend, the cell phone is with bell and has a spot in the back for a sim card. But when i put my sim card (Rogers) in the Bell phone, the old number still came up when i called my house phone. The Bell phone has been disconnected. So my question is, does the Bell phone need to be unlocked? Can I use my rogers sim card and still you the Bell cell phone with my old rogers number
?
KillaCamST,Apr 26 2010, 09:48 AM Wrote:I got a cell phone from a friend, the cell phone is with bell and has a spot in the back for a sim card. But when i put my sim card (Rogers) in the Bell phone, the old number still came up when i called my house phone. The Bell phone has been disconnected. So my question is, does the Bell phone need to be unlocked? Can I use my rogers sim card and still you the Bell cell phone with my old rogers number
?
[right][snapback]305876[/snapback][/right]

yes it does need to be unlocked, how I can't tell because you haven't specified what model phone you have.

as for calling and it using the old number....... that means the bell portion isn't disconnected.
just because it has a slot in the back that looks like it will accept a SIM, it does not indicate what kind of phone or technology it is. Some Bellus phones are based on a technology called CDMA (Carriers that Depends Mostly on Analogue) and the disabled RUIM slot on the back was never enabled in north american models but was there because of cost savings to manufacturers.

Any NEW Bellus phone uses UMTS, a Third Generation RAN that uses SIM cards, or ICCID cards. Take out the SIM from your Bellus phone and place a call to any non-emergency number, if it works, the phone is most likely CDMA and there is no such thing as unlocking for it.

Mystake,Apr 26 2010, 10:24 AM Wrote:
KillaCamST,Apr 26 2010, 09:48 AM Wrote:I got a cell phone from a friend, the cell phone is with bell and has a spot in the back for a sim card. But when i put my sim card (Rogers) in the Bell phone, the old number still came up when i called my house phone. The Bell phone has been disconnected. So my question is, does the Bell phone need to be unlocked? Can I use my rogers sim card and still you the Bell cell phone with my old rogers number
?

yes it does need to be unlocked, how I can't tell because you haven't specified what model phone you have.

as for calling and it using the old number....... that means the bell portion isn't disconnected.
[right][snapback]305877[/snapback][/right]

That makes NO sense the bell portion isn't disconnected? if you have a Rogers ICCID in your phone, there is no way a 2G or 3G handset will show the number from the previous carrier (Bell), UNLESS its NOT a 2G GSM or 3G UMTS and it is infact a Bell CDMA phone, the sim or no sim has nothing to do with making out going calls if its CDMA, plus if your told its disconnected and your calls still goes through, im sorry but what kind of carrier is that? there should be a block in the HLR to prevent this. goes to show you what kind of company your dealing with,
paolo,Apr 26 2010, 10:52 AM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 26 2010, 10:24 AM Wrote:
?

[right][snapback]305877[/snapback][/right]

That makes NO sense the bell portion isn't disconnected? if you have a Rogers ICCID in your phone, there is no way a 2G or 3G handset will show the number from the previous carrier (Bell), UNLESS its NOT a 2G GSM or 3G UMTS and it is infact a Bell CDMA phone, the sim or no sim has nothing to do with making out going calls if its CDMA, plus if your told its disconnected and your calls still goes through, im sorry but what kind of carrier is that? there should be a block in the HLR to prevent this. goes to show you what kind of company your dealing with,
[right][snapback]305880[/snapback][/right]

I was saying... if he's able to make phone calls... well the phone isn't disconnected like the OP's been told.

ESPECIALLY if the phone's old number shows up on caller ID. That phone is still registered with Bell and is active on the previous owner's plan, clearly.

I think that's what he was saying, not that phone itself still identifies itself by the old number, but rather that the phone STILL WORKS on the old number.

and to op, from what I can tell, Paolo's pretty much right.
Mystake,Apr 26 2010, 11:01 AM Wrote:and to op, from what I can tell, Paolo's pretty much right.
[right][snapback]305882[/snapback][/right]

That's right!!! your welcome Mang! Glad to be of helpful assistance to the forms.