FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: K&N Worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking of putting one in to improve my mileage as I drive 50+ kms each way each day. Is the cost worth the improved mileage?

Thanks,
Scott
I put AEM ram air on my Zetec, mainly because the air box was falling apart but I did see 1-3 mpg difference. It also sounds a bit meaner when you get on the gas. Big Grin
I say K&N only because that is all I am familiar with. I guess I mean any aftermarket cold air intake system. I am not looking at paying too much but willing to spend if the rewards are there. -- Thanks
i really haven't noticed a difference in any filter i've used (K&N, ractive and that foam one from FSWERKS)...hell i've even ran my car with a towel ductaped to my MAF housing and it worked just as well as anything else. Its all on personal preference really.

But if you are thinking of throw an air intake on, you wont see any difference in gas mileage until you upgrade your exhaust as well.

I also drive 50+ kms to work one way and even with the air intake, exhaust, new plugs wire ect... i really didnt see a great increase in gas mileage. But thats just my $0.02

But! if you really do wanna save of gas, buy a vacuum gauge and follow that. I found that helped me out for getting a couple extra kms..another awesome tip is when you're filling up at the pump. once the pump stops...sqeeze about another 3 or 4 dollars in and you'll get a lot of extra kms before your gas gauge even moves off the full mark. I've gotten an extra 90 kms before my needle even moved off the full mark before just by topping up that little extra.
I got better fuel economy with all of the following:

AEM Cold Air Intake, Focus Central 60mm Throttle Body, Ford Racing 9mm Ignition Wires, Ford Motorcraft Platinum Spark Plugs, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, Ford 5W20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

I also got faster throttle response, and more mid-range torque. Just the intake on it's own won't make much difference. If you pair it with other stuff, it works even better.
(02-26-2013, 02:39 PM)Drivesthebeast Wrote: [ -> ]I got better fuel economy with all of the following:

AEM Cold Air Intake, Focus Central 60mm Throttle Body, Ford Racing 9mm Ignition Wires, Ford Motorcraft Platinum Spark Plugs, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, Ford 5W20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

I also got faster throttle response, and more mid-range torque. Just the intake on it's own won't make much difference. If you pair it with other stuff, it works even better.

If the objective is to save money on gas, paying attention to the details like air filter, pvc filter, fuel filter, keeping the plugs fresh (forget any idea of plugs lasting 100,000k - 25,000k is more like it) - running a fuel injector cleaner every 10,000k or so, changing the oil regularly and keeping it topped up in between changes will pay dividends more than buying expensive aftermarket parts.

If you plan ahead you can buy your parts in the US and save as much as 50% vs buying them here.

And of course the most important factor is how you drive.
Yes it's all about how u drive.