FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Woman Killed In Accident At Ontario Ford Warehouse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Worker killed in accident at Ontario Ford warehouse
Source: Leftlanenews

A worker at a Ford-owned warehouse in Brampton, Ontario, near Toronto, was killed in an accident yesterday when a load of parts on a forklift she was operating shifted off of the machine and crushed her. Shara Flanigan, 36, was rushed to a nearby hospital where she died as a result of the accident.

Flanigan, a mother of two children, had worked for Ford since 1997 as a forklift operator. Her task that day was to stack heavy skids of auto parts in the Ford-owned warehouse. The warehouse employs about 250 workers, most of whom left work yesterday shortly following the incident.

The Ontario Ministry of Labour says it is investigating the accident, according to the Associated Press.
aren't those forklift machines have those protective cage/box the operators are sitting in?

How could she have gotten crushed unless she was operating the forklift while standing outside the vehicle?

So sad to hear.
sad to hear especially for the kids.

as for the fork lift, i know our forklift doesnt have a full cage, it has bars etc and some mesh crap for a roof but thats about it. as they said "heavy parts" maybe they went right through the roof?
That is sad to hear.
I like how they said in Brampton near Toronto. How's about near Mississauga and a distance from Toronto lol. It's at Dxie and Steels
They work there 24Hrs a day and the fork lifts roofs are only rated for so much, alot less than what the lift can support. Maybe she had an un balanced load and was using the side shift. It happens.
With the force of "heavy" auto parts coming down that Little cage aint gonna save you. I drive a forklift at a printing shop carrying 3500lbs of paper around and if that came down in one shot I know I'd be toast. The cage is more designed for "roll over" protection, hence why its called a ROPS.

Thats sad tho :( All it takes is one second of misjudgment to end up in serious condition or unfortunatly dead.
Very sad news. My brothers worked there as students in the 70's and preferred it very much over working in the assembly plants.
Hopefully the MOL finds out exactly what happened.