FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Building my bottom end
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys!

I have two blocks just chillen at home, so I've decided to finally do something and tore one apart completely. It seems to be in decent shape still so I want to machine it (bore the cylinders & deck the top) so its all purdy again and ready to be built up!

The only thing is, to bore the cylinders I need to get my pistons first so they can bore it for them to fit. So my question is...whats everyones recommendations for a decent set of forged pistons?

Should I go and get an oversized piston? or stick closer to stock size and just go forged? I know the JE forged pistons are common in lots of builds.

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks in advance.
(03-21-2013, 01:31 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys!

I have two blocks just chillen at home, so I've decided to finally do something and tore one apart completely. It seems to be in decent shape still so I want to machine it (bore the cylinders & deck the top) so its all purdy again and ready to be built up!

The only thing is, to bore the cylinders I need to get my pistons first so they can bore it for them to fit. So my question is...whats everyones recommendations for a decent set of forged pistons?

Should I go and get an oversized piston? or stick closer to stock size and just go forged? I know the JE forged pistons are common in lots of builds.

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks in advance.

i went with the JE turbo piston
i know alot of people go with the supertech pistons aswell.

if your turbo i would suggest getting a low compression piston for sure
thats my toss up now is JE or Supertech, both seem to be a great product. as for compression, im thinking in around the neighbourhood of 9.0:1. does that sound alright?
(03-21-2013, 02:59 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]thats my toss up now is JE or Supertech, both seem to be a great product. as for compression, im thinking in around the neighbourhood of 9.0:1. does that sound alright?

yes sir! thats my compression
Are you getting the cylinders bored or honed?

I might have my terminology wrong, but IIRC boring involves removing some material which then would require an oversize piston; whereas honing will just refinish the inside of the cylinder without removing any material.
(03-21-2013, 06:44 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Are you getting the cylinders bored or honed?

I might have my terminology wrong, but IIRC boring involves removing some material which then would require an oversize piston; whereas honing will just refinish the inside of the cylinder without removing any material.

if hes lowering his compression he will have to bore the block.
mine are bored out to fit the JE pistons
yes the cylinders are getting bored, head is getting done too.
CP pistons all way. All my skyline buddys use them and there all easying over 500 hp lol
I've got JE pistons in mine, 120,000km and still strong.
I seen cfm has the CP pistons, theyre about $600 but the cool thing about the CP is they are made to order. so you can kinda customize them, to an extent that is. Just going off what there ad says. I still like the JE pistons though, heard lots of good things.
I think in reality most pistons out there for the focus are decent quality. The acutual cost of the build is NOT in the pistons + rods, heck those are down right cheap. Its all the little things that add up, gaskets, bolts bearings, machine work.

I do have a lower engine skirt gasket that is new in package that I never used if you come to need one of those...
yeah i'll need one for sure. how much you want for it?
Im definitely thinking of going with JE Pistons though. Seem to be the best bang for your buck. with eagle rods of coarse.

Now crank...Im thinking stock will do just fine. maybe upgrade the bearings to help on wear and tear maybe? anyone.
My crank is stock and I went with new factory bearings but I used arp main studs. You'll have to modify the windage tray for them to fit
how much were the arp main studs? thats a good idea, didnt even think of that lol.
(03-22-2013, 02:47 AM)stupica1 Wrote: [ -> ]how much were the arp main studs? thats a good idea, didnt even think of that lol.

Last time I bought ARP main studs I landed them for $85 - that's for part no. 151-5404 - in the USA of course, purchase, taxes, shipping importation etc etc.
not bad at all. Sean quoted me at $108.00 ish, which also isnt that bad. I paid $75.00 for two cam gear bolts haha ARP is definitely worth getting though. best of the best for sure.
Do they still make the high flow oil pumps from ford racing? Or will stock be alright? Im thinking stock would do just fine.
Cfm has some high flow oil pumps
I use stock. Haven't had an issue yet
IIRC the only time you need a better oil pump is when your running high RPM applications. If your going to be constantly spinning it 8000rpm and above you'll need it but thats not all you'll need Smile