FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wont stay warm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my car is being f**ked again , this time it wont stay warm. If im in traffic or at a drive through the temp gauge is right in the middle but when driving on the hwy or at wot it drops in temp. I do have a 180 degree T stat but that should'nt cause that right?
(04-10-2013, 01:45 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]So my car is being f**ked again , this time it wont stay warm. If im in traffic or at a drive through the temp gauge is right in the middle but when driving on the hwy or at wot it drops in temp. I do have a 180 degree T stat but that should'nt cause that right?

I know this might fall into the "duh" category - but you did check your coolant level, right?
Yup always and its fine.
I used to have a cavalier like that. In traffi as stuff it would be where it should be. Then once I got on the highway it dropped way down. Better then going up I think lol
(04-10-2013, 01:53 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup always and its fine.

LOL - sorry had to ask - because if you had a lot of air in your system it would give you those symptoms.

Anyway - it sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open.
my malibu does that too...never really had a problem with it either haha. its a beater car too so i dont really care for it if something does go.
(04-10-2013, 10:30 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2013, 01:53 PM)adamzx5 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup always and its fine.

LOL - sorry had to ask - because if you had a lot of air in your system it would give you those symptoms.

Anyway - it sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open.

Ken would be right about this.

The coolant isn't being held in the block to warm up enough. Winter time you would freeze your ass off but summer is all good as long as it doesn't close and then you have trapped boiling coolant... Game over.

Take it out and put it in a pot of water then boil it and watch if it moves at all.

Good luck.
I also agree that thermostat being stuck open.
you might also check coolant cap being not pressurized..which will not increase boiling point.