FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Supermoto help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys its been a while.

i recently purchased a 450 motocross bike and im well under way in my supermoto/street legal conversion. but i have hit a snag in the road.

I pic'd up new rims and spokes and plan on getting the m laced and trued but i cannot find a place that dose this locally?

Most motorcycle dealers will do it but they are not efficient and can only quote me the hourly shop rate (1-3h per rim) so 2-6h shop time seems high there leaning on the higher end.

i did how ever get a quote from a specialty shop out of town and they want $75 a rim (not bad imo) but can’t do the work for like 7days and they are located 4h away from my office and 1h away from my home.

Dose anyone know of a place in Ottawa that laces rims?

Thanks in advance.

im also going do a full build thread Big Grin
In Ottawa, I'd contact these guys. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Cycle Salvage is in Carp.

http://cyclesalvagecanada.com/

You can also try Woody's Cycles out in Perth.

http://www.woodys-cycles.com/
I'd try and lace 'em myself. there's lots of tutorials out there, so I'd lace them, true them, and do my best at tensioning them, and then maybe drop off at a shop for a once over to verify your work... then you pay no more than an hour's worth of time, and you learn a marketable skill at the same time.
reldridge - thanks ill look into it

DP - I am tempted it all comes down to fear of the unknown lol i may end up doing just that..
The hardest part with lacing a wheel is getting the dish right. That's why it's handy if you can put the wheel in a fork with measured zipties/tape/paper,etc.

A wheel is true when it doesn't wobble (use a ziptie or something to measure wobble)
A wheel is dished when the rim is equidistant from the fork legs
A wheel is round when it doesn't hop up and down when you spin it (using tape across the forks is handy)
A wheel is strong when it's tensioned enough that id doesn't ping when there's weight on it (after you lace, give everything a heafty squeeze with your hands before setting the bike on it and giving it a roll -- it'll likely ping a couple of times and then settle down).

Just remember to true it, give it a roll, check the tension and trueness again. The lacing patterns are all over the web.. there's not much you can really screw up. I know it seems daunting having 30 or more little sticks of metal supporting your bike and it's weight, but that's why you just get a bike shop to give it a once over when you're done the first time.

Either way, good luck man... post pics of your progress.