FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need some advice regarding car insurance claims
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if someone could offer a bit of advice on a current situation with insurance and them wanting to write off my girlfriend's car.

She has a 2003 Altima SE with the power group -- well maintained, good condition, 100,000km, etc.

The cost to fix the car is about $5,000... and the insurance company wants to write it off for $4100.

She can buy back the car and get $3,000. The insurance company says this is non-negotiable.

The thing is, you can't buy a used Altima of the same trim level (nor condition) for $4100 -- and only a very few are under $5,000.

I would have thought that they could just settle for $4,000, and let her cough up the difference in repairs... How the hell is she supposed to get a car back that is of equal value to the one she had?

what are our options?
That's bs. Just goes to show how big of a rip off insurance is. Like I pay $240 a month and I know they would give me like $1000 for mine lol.I would say tour taking your business else where see what they say.
Insurance companies don't care if you leave, we're not talking Bell or Rogers here.

But I could find only one car that is within that budget that would replace her car for that money. There was a site that mentioned she could go to arbitration and/or seek outside counsel.

I think we can at least go for arbitration if they don't want to deal.
keep fighting. eventually they will give up some ground somewhere. My dad had a 2009 F250 FX4 vandalised to the point of a right off, it was under 2 years old at the time. It was a 65,000$ replacement value and he ended up getting back 62,000$ out of them. Their first offer was for 55,000$ and he just kept telling them to come back when they have an offer that matches his policy (had full replacement value for first 2 years of ownership)
I find that amazing that they wouldn't give full replacement value if you have the depreciation coverage -- wow.

It's amazing how they just start with the hard-ass routine rather than working with us.... if you think I'm pissed, my GF is SUPER PISSED.
insurance companies are the worst to deal with. Never get insurance from TD insurance, they are so bad, that they refuse to insurance wheelchair accessible vans, because they are modified. Any other insurance company will insure sight un seen with a write up on the vehicle.

Aviva is what we had at the time when we fought for the truck, they want to get out of it with the least cost on their hands. They eventually have to settle it, so keep working them as you are wasting their time and money. I also suggest a change of insurance.

If you dont mind me asking, what is the insurance company you are dealing with?
We're dealing with TD Meloche I believe... I had Aviva when s**t hit the fan with my 'stang.... neither are particularly customer focused.

The GF asked for their 'Research' and got the three estimates the company got from Ottawa. I don't know how they're going to contend that it's reasonable for us to travel to Ottawa, assess the cars as suitable replacements -- and then what if they're not good enough -- with their piddly $3600 +HST.

Anyways, we're going to burry them in evidence and then request an arbitration if it's not at least 5Gs + HST -- because, reasonably speaking, that's the value of the car. To be honest, I'm not even getting the point of paying for insurance if they don't cover anything. I mean, you pay $150/mo for 10 years... which comes out to about $18,270, (with interest, if they didn't blow it all on CEO pensions), and then you can't even get 1/5th of it to replace your car? c'mon!
Where did the $5k repair figure come from? If it's from their adjuster why not get a couple of quotes from reputable body shops or hire your own adjuster.

I think part of the problem is that insurance companies get too much money for the write offs, many of which find their way back on to the road as "salvage" vehicles that someone has piece-meal put back together.

Also: as a tactic I agree with inundating them with "evidence" and you should also see if you can find a lawyer that will allow you to put his name as a "cc" on all communications.

I'm lucky that I have a brother who lets me do that for such situations for free, and often it does increase the awareness of just how serious you are.

The other thing, assuming the insurance company is paying for a rental replacement, is to simply refuse to accept their offers - at some point the cost of the ongoing rental will become a sticking point and they will become a bit more maleable. They will threaten of course to pull the rental, but just threaten them back that at the end of the day they will end up paying for it - voluntarily or otherwise - referencing the lawyer.

Additionally - simply as a financial matter, assuming the worst and you don't get everything you should get, make sure that all personal injury claims are kept on-going until the car thing is settled - and if you haven't pursued any personal injury claims, well - do it now.
I remember hearing from my ex before that Aviva is one of the worst but is also owned by another company so you are just paying a mark up on a mark up lol.

Good luck and keep pushing them to give in!!!
I have state farm and haven't had an issue. When my 1998 neon rt got hit and written off. I got $1500 , which in my opinion is way more then it was worth
thanks for the advice guys... we sent off our findings on the 'reasonable' price of the car, which is about 5-6,000... And the GF is going to ask to get the rental extended past Wednesday -- I guess they say she gets the car for 3 days past their settlement offer, but are kind enough to give it for 5... but we're pushing back.
My response? Sue everyone. It's a term that has never led me astray and I have never lost in court.
Make them pay. You did for the last 10 years.
So the insurance company was pretty quick to go up another 5600 if the girlfriend gives up the car... the only thing is that this still doesn't necessarily cover all of the expenses including safety, emissions, etc. If she wants the car back, only the original offer of 3 grand applies.

And they're saying once again that this is their final offer.

Obviously, the insurance broke our trust right from the get-go.. and we asked for a little bit more -- 6 grand to buy a new car. So the question is, do we ask for arbitration? If they'd just give her back the car and 5 grand, we'd be fine, but they don't seem to want to part with it.

thoughts?
If you think the best thing to do is ask for arbitration go for it. If they went up they probably will again.its just the play badass routine, normally most people would just take the first offer. I would say keep bugging them till you get what you want.