FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing belt replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Planning on replacing my timing belt, pulleys and tensioner this weekend, I found some youtube videos and instructions on how to do it. Any tips and suggestions? Is there a torque specification for the pulleys and tensioner when installing them? Thanks
just as long as there tight your pretty well good to go. the tq on those isnt huge

just remember to get a new valve cover gasket aswell
(05-22-2013, 02:43 AM)Lucster1000 Wrote: [ -> ]Planning on replacing my timing belt, pulleys and tensioner this weekend, I found some youtube videos and instructions on how to do it. Any tips and suggestions? Is there a torque specification for the pulleys and tensioner when installing them? Thanks

Since labour is the biggest part of the job, you might want to spend a few bucks more and get a premium belt - like the Gates T294RB.
Already replaced my valve cover gasket, one less thing. All my parts are motorcraft that I got from the dealer.
Do I need any special tools to do the timing belt? Just thought of this now.
your gonna need another gasket depending how new/old it is...you have to take the valve cover off to do the timming belt.. you need the cam tool (see above) to stick in the end of the cams to keep the timming while you change the belt

and do your absolute best not to rotate the crank any. if you do that youll have to find TDC agian

what you can do for a tip is take you valve cover off and stick a ratchet on the crank and rotate the crank until the cams are linned up and stick the cam tool in, after that you can loosen the tensioner and take the belt off and what ever else your changing and everything should be the same and a pretty easy swap over