FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wheel Bearing craziness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I took my car to a shop to get my driver side front wheel bearing replaced. When they started on my car they called me saying my CV shaft was seized in the bearing so they had to cut it to put the hub on the press and press the old bearing out. About two hours later they called saying the bearing was seized in the hub and they may damage the hub and have to get a replacement from the wreckers. I said go ahead and try your best to get it out. By the end of today I went to the shop to look at everything just to make sure they were not screwing me around. They had heated up the hub glow red and had it on the press and the press was actually buckling, the bearing or cut off end of the CV shaft would not come out. - Anyways I thought this was pretty funny and had to post it up on hereTongue , The shop is getting me a hub and CV shaft from the wreckers to finish it tomorrow. Proves Focus's are the toughest cars around. Tongue
lol nice, I guess...
something isn't right here... I've never had an axle seized in a hub to the point where it wont come out. That's unfortunately a load of bs right there. Especially on a light duty application such as the focus. There is a C clip that holds the bearing from being pressed out and if you don't take that clip out nothing will move...but where there is a will there is a way I suppose.

What shop did this sort of a thing? A press won't perform on that sort of thing so you know. Air chisel, enough said. You'd better hope you're only paying for the bearing replacement because the rest is on the shop in this case.

Nothing is funny to me when I see someone getting ripped off.
I think you are right because the shop only charged me 2 hours of labour for everything, wheel bearing,hub and cv shaft. I think it may have been the first ford that the mechanic has worked on. It isn't the regular shop I go to so I won't be going back. For anyone who reads this in the future and the shop says the same thing, tell them to check the c clip.
when i just changed my axles this year they were a bitch to get out of the hub. took a crow bar and a few good whacks to get it loose from the hub. mine never came with a c clip what so ever, and those were the original axles still on the car. only c clips i seen were going into the transmission itself

either way as said above, what the shop did to your car seems a little excessive. lets hope they put alot of anti sieze on the new stuff