FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: HELP falling on its face
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys

so the cars been in the body shop gettign the last finishing touches for the big show this weekend it my cars first debut of the season. 1 major problem has arised and maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me

last november i pulled the motor out of the car and such to figure out some issues with leaks. well i never did take the motor apart i left everything as is just replaced a VC gasket and new power steering pump and alti.

fired the car up last week (no exhaust just downpipe) and the car ran and idled awesome. went yesterday and the car idles and runs great until it gets warm (a few mins) then starts leaning right out to max and started to run like a lumpy 5L

changed the plug yesterday and it helped a bit but not much.
vac is a consitent 18-16 psi. fuel is bang on 30 psi, oil varies as the car gets warmer. idles stay around 900-1000rpm. even when the car starts to go lump the revs dont budge which is odd to me

we let it run for a good 5 minutes amd it seemed to be ok so a buddy of mine gave it some gas and the A/F was a good 13.5-15.5 sweep then the second he left of the throttle the car fell on it face and i got ----- across the A/F gauge and then slowly came back up to 14.7ish

car has a hesitation when crusing but the second you give it gas it takes off like absolutly nothing is wrong with it. then take your foot off the gas and it falls on its face

any ideas guys?

iv sanded all the grounds and fixed some grounds, changes my plugs, checked for vacuum leaks. all i can think is o2 sensors possibly?
it still does sound like some form of VAC leak, check your MAF if its dirty. A Dirty or poorly working MAF has trouble reading low air flow.

Also make sure your IAC is working and connected up correctly.
ya ill have to check it all agian

im going recheck all my vac lines clean my maf check my IAC and replace the 02 sensors hopefully ill get somewhere
has it been tuned yet?
Trying to think outside of the box here,

ECU? How're all the connections there? One of the issues with my focus back when it was barely running (besides needing a new motor) was the ECU was fudged and the maf needed to be replaced not just cleaned.
(06-13-2013, 01:09 AM)ZX3_2NV Wrote: [ -> ]has it been tuned yet?

car was running fine last year so its not the tune

by the videos i took yesterday and a bunch of people i have talked to all seem to think i have a small vacuum leak cause it to fall on its face when there is no acceleration
what kind of setup are you running? Suck through, or blow through? And did that change between last year and this year? Blow thru is not a great idea with the focus. It doesn't do well when the air suddenly stops moving and goes into a minor backflow.. suck through is a lot easier to tune for.

Other than that, checking your idle control valve, clean your MAF, and continue looking for leaks. A bad O2 would be an unlikely culprit IMO.
well i got a call from the shop yesterday asking what i did to my car the previous night. and i told him (sanded down the grounds) and he said the car runs mint!!

i still dont under stand how a few tiny wires not touching bare metal can cause such a major issue :S

going tonight to verify everything is in running order and working flawless. i still dont believe a bad ground can make that sevre of a difference