FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: First Ford in 30 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello - just bought my son a 2003 Focus SE for his first car. He loves it.

Found our first problem already - passenger side CV joint / axle issue. Shaft is clunking. Grease everywhere. Serves me right for shopping near dark.

Looking for a DIY for removing/replacing the shaft. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

W.
Haynes manual. Easy fix thought as long as things aren't seized/rust

Jack car way up on pass. Side, remove wheel, remove axle nut, drop spindle from strut, remove carrier bracket on back of block, pop out axle and replace
Welcome to the site - I'm on the road for a couple of days but when I get back home I will look up the procedure on my Ford Service DVD and post it up.

Jamie - are there any hidden c-clips anywhere in there to be aware of?

And WNorkle - where are you located? I think I have an unused rebuilt axle somewhere in my stash.

(06-16-2013, 07:31 AM)WNorkle Wrote: [ -> ]Hello - just bought my son a 2003 Focus SE for his first car. He loves it.

Found our first problem already - passenger side CV joint / axle issue. Shaft is clunking. Grease everywhere. Serves me right for shopping near dark.

Looking for a DIY for removing/replacing the shaft. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

W.
Passenger side axle has no c clips, just needs a big flat head sometimes to help it out. Bracket on block is really all that's holding it in
Thanks ZTWsquared, et al.

I appreciate your feedback. If you can find the procedure that would be appreciated. I didn't expect it to be too difficult - but it is always good to confirm that there isn't any gotchas along the way.

Thanks as well for the offer for the rebuilt. I had actually ordered a Cardone one from RockAuto and am just waiting for it to arrive.

(06-16-2013, 10:10 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the site - I'm on the road for a couple of days but when I get back home I will look up the procedure on my Ford Service DVD and post it up.

Jamie - are there any hidden c-clips anywhere in there to be aware of?

And WNorkle - where are you located? I think I have an unused rebuilt axle somewhere in my stash.

(06-16-2013, 07:31 AM)WNorkle Wrote: [ -> ]Hello - just bought my son a 2003 Focus SE for his first car. He loves it.

W.

(06-16-2013, 10:21 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Passenger side axle has no c clips, just needs a big flat head sometimes to help it out. Bracket on block is really all that's holding it in

Thanks GFXJamie. Just waiting for parts to arrive and then we'll tackle it.
(06-16-2013, 07:31 AM)WNorkle Wrote: [ -> ][/color]

Congrats for your first Ford.. Were you able to sort out the problem? Can you share the pics of your car..
(07-16-2013, 03:36 PM)StanleyFoster Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2013, 07:31 AM)WNorkle Wrote: [ -> ][/color]

Congrats for your first Ford.. Were you able to sort out the problem? Can you share the pics of your car..

Yes, we were able to get the axle changed. Had to replace the ball joint at the same time (boot was nicked and grease was mostly gone). Wasn't great that Ford rivets the ball joint to the bottom sway arm - but managed to drill the old one out.

No picture. But, it doesn't get much more plain Jane.