FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Weird thing happened accelerating..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm taking off from a stop light yesterday, and at some point, it felt like the car hit a brick wall. I didn't have the pedal mashed to the pavement, but I was getting up to speed somewhat quickly.

All of the sudden, the car just stopped accelerating and it slammed me forward into the seatbelt.

Didn't stall or make any strange noises. I let off the gas, and it recovered from any temper tantrum it was having and acted like it's normal self after that.

Any ideas? I know the automatic is close to being pooched, and that's the only thing I can think of that would be causing any issues.
Sounds sort of like a fuel issue - have you changed your filter recently?

(06-19-2013, 08:09 PM)torradan Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'm taking off from a stop light yesterday, and at some point, it felt like the car hit a brick wall. I didn't have the pedal mashed to the pavement, but I was getting up to speed somewhat quickly.

All of the sudden, the car just stopped accelerating and it slammed me forward into the seatbelt.

Didn't stall or make any strange noises. I let off the gas, and it recovered from any temper tantrum it was having and acted like it's normal self after that.

Any ideas? I know the automatic is close to being pooched, and that's the only thing I can think of that would be causing any issues.
I changed it probably not less than 5000 miles ago. Maybe it could be something to do with it having sat for most of the past 3 years.

Or maybe it's a sign that I should get an ST.
Sounds like when I had tierod issues with my old neon. It felt like I nailed a big racoon.
zetec? check coil wires and for moisture or even water build up in the spark plug cylinders.
ya that's a voltage issues for sure. check all grounds and like nate says all the wires and sparks.

happened to me while I was driving my friend and I felt a dead spot in the car and we were about 2.5 hours from home town lol scared the crap out of me. but it was only a ground wire.
Thanks guys!

New plugs coming today. Ordered some from Rock Auto when I ordered a bunch of other stuff because the price was right ($1.50 each for Autolite 104s). They probably need it anyways, and I don't know when I replaced them last.

It's a Duratec, so no coil. Hopefully one of the COP deals didn't go bad or started acting flaky.

I'll check grounds today if I can.