FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Says: "eva" Is Coming..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Says "Eva" Is Coming
Source: Insideline

LAS VEGAS — In the future, Ford vehicles may feature an electronic personal assistant or avatar named "Eva" who will engage the driver through conversational speech and respond to voice commands, the automaker said Thursday at the 2009 International Consumer Electronics Show.

"We want to create a truly rich driving environment where there is no compromise in connectivity — where everything you expect will be at your fingertips or voice command, integrated into your drive with minimal distraction," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford director of Electronic Systems Engineering.

Ford also announced that its Sync system, which offers drivers personalized communication services, is poised for a global rollout.

Sync will go global in 2010, starting in Europe. Later, it will be introduced in Asia Pacific and Australia. Sync bundles emergency, diagnostic and information services, as well as traffic reports and navigation information.

Ford also said it has begun a new partnership with Best Buy to help "build Sync awareness and provide tech support through its Geek Squad."
Mercedes already has it and Top Gear hates it lol. But they are german made.
Scorcher000,Jan 9 2009, 04:46 PM Wrote:Mercedes already has it and Top Gear hates it lol. But they are german made.
[right][snapback]279344[/snapback][/right]
Not the same thing (for good or for bad) ... the current Mercedes system is by Tele Aid and is to be replaced with a system from Hughes that incorporates elements of the OnStar and Sync systems ... Sync BTW is by Microsoft (hence my "for good or bad" comment.

As a side note ... we now have just over 1k on the wife's new Fusion SEL and we both like the SYNC system ... she likes the voice command hands-free phone connectivity and I like how I can voice-navigate my 8 gig memory stick loaded with dozens of albums and hundreds/thousands of tracks. The best part IMO is that we can combine voice commands with using the steering wheel controls - ie: pressing the OK button.

ZTWsquared,Jan 9 2009, 05:23 PM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Jan 9 2009, 04:46 PM Wrote:Mercedes already has it and Top Gear hates it lol. But they are german made.
Not the same thing (for good or for bad) ... the current Mercedes system is by Tele Aid and is to be replaced with a system from Hughes that incorporates elements of the OnStar and Sync systems ... Sync BTW is by Microsoft (hence my "for good or bad" comment.

As a side note ... we now have just over 1k on the wife's new Fusion SEL and we both like the SYNC system ... she likes the voice command hands-free phone connectivity and I like how I can voice-navigate my 8 gig memory stick loaded with dozens of albums and hundreds/thousands of tracks. The best part IMO is that we can combine voice commands with using the steering wheel controls - ie: pressing the OK button.
[right][snapback]279349[/snapback][/right]

Do yourself a favour ZTW, sign up on SyncMyRide.com, download the version checker and see what software your system is running (If you need help I can meet up with you to do the checking once you sign up there) because the latest software 1.2 fixes more than a few "gotchas"

NefCanuck
WALL-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
[Image: Walle%20and%20Eva.jpg]

2000th Post. Meaning less post no less, but still my 2000th. :banger:
So in a few years you'll be able to pick your profession and which weapons you're most pre-disposed to and you're good to go.

Good stuff, I'm 3 years ahead of most of you. :P

http://www.eve-online.com

I know a few from here play / did play before, so we're ok. :lol:

EDIT - damnit, can't find any tutorial videos on there. The whole tutorial process is led by an avatar - it's pretty sweet.
I think Sync is a good thing. Take the software out of the hands of automotive engineers and put it in the hands of software engineers.

Decry Microsoft all you want, but I can tell you for certain that the sync infrastructure is much more robust than OnStar... and much more functional.

I think it'll be a boon to have such a standard in automotive user interfaces.

Like how the world learned to point and click so many years ago...
darkpuppet,Jan 12 2009, 01:37 PM Wrote:I think Sync is a good thing.  Take the software out of the hands of automotive engineers and put it in the hands of software engineers.

Decry Microsoft all you want, but I can tell you for certain that the sync infrastructure is much more robust than OnStar... and much more functional.

[right][snapback]279422[/snapback][/right]

Thing is SYNC goes one way and OnStar goes the other. SYNC looks to take the human being out of the equation and OnStar up to now has kept the human point of contact in. Not saying I prefer one or the other myself, but they both have their merits.

As to decrying Microsoft, I think that SYNC is a good solid first effort, for the most part, just needs polishing in places.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 12 2009, 08:38 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jan 12 2009, 01:37 PM Wrote:I think Sync is a good thing.  Take the software out of the hands of automotive engineers and put it in the hands of software engineers.

Thing is SYNC goes one way and OnStar goes the other. SYNC looks to take the human being out of the equation and OnStar up to now has kept the human point of contact in. Not saying I prefer one or the other myself, but they both have their merits.

As to decrying Microsoft, I think that SYNC is a good solid first effort, for the most part, just needs polishing in places.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279429[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the earlier heads-up Daniel ... I upgraded to v1.2.

BTW - SYNC now includes for free what Ford calls "911 Assist" ... if an airbag goes off it automatically dials 911 and plays a recorded message ... then connects you with the 911 operator ... that all assumes your phone wasn't damaged in the collision and that the car maintained its bluetooth connection with your phone ... so in some ways it's now two way.
ZTWsquared,Jan 12 2009, 07:54 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 12 2009, 08:38 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]279429[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the earlier heads-up Daniel ... I upgraded to v1.2.

BTW - SYNC now includes for free what Ford calls "911 Assist" ... if an airbag goes off it automatically dials 911 and plays a recorded message ... then connects you with the 911 operator ... that all assumes your phone wasn't damaged in the collision and that the car maintained its bluetooth connection with your phone ... so in some ways it's now two way.
[right][snapback]279431[/snapback][/right]

But 911 assist is only effective with the v2.0 upgrade (which is a dealer installed item and includes a feature not active in Canada, the Vehicle Health Report)

As to how undamaged your phone is, I toss it in the "undercubby" usually... if the phone doesn't survive in there, I'm betting you won't either :P

I'm just wondering how many dealers will actually be able to perform this upgrade properly :unsure:

NefCanuck
ZTWsquared,Jan 9 2009, 06:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]279349[/snapback][/right]

I have that with my pioneer unit and love it. Nice to push the button and say, 'change source to ipod'....goes to ipod, play 'paper planes' plays paper planes.

same with the bluetooth phone feature...If I knew this was this good, I would of had one in the focus.