FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2012 focus rust (bought brand new dec. 2012)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 2012 Focus SE 9000km bought dec. 12 2012 brand new, had a leaking valve cover gasket replaced , paint bubbling on the trunk lid (forgot to take pics fixed less than a week ago) now has rust between the rear window and trunk (pic attached) and my tranny is shuddering like there is no tomorrow when it shifts from 1st to 2nd going up hill (the whole cars shakes).

I'm beyond frustrated this is my second focus (first one was bought back for a faulty tranny).

[Image: hzdy.jpg]
(08-02-2013, 01:28 AM)powermax Wrote: [ -> ]My 2012 Focus SE 9000km bought dec. 12 2012 brand new, had a leaking valve cover gasket replaced , paint bubbling on the trunk lid (forgot to take pics fixed less than a week ago) now has rust between the rear window and trunk (pic attached) and my tranny is shuddering like there is no tomorrow when it shifts from 1st to 2nd going up hill (the whole cars shakes).

I'm beyond frustrated this is my second focus (first one was bought back for a faulty tranny).

This is the kind of thing the so-called lemon laws in the US were created for - unfortunately the only thing we have here anywhere close is CAMVAP.

My advice is to document the hell out of everything ... if you haven't already, start writing letters to Ford Canada (make sure to reference US-style Lemon Laws and CAMVAP, - tell them in no uncertain terms what you want - if it was the dealer who helped you get a replacement car in the first place, go back to them and get them to help again.

Good luck.
(08-02-2013, 02:27 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2013, 01:28 AM)powermax Wrote: [ -> ]My 2012 Focus SE 9000km bought dec. 12 2012 brand new, had a leaking valve cover gasket replaced , paint bubbling on the trunk lid (forgot to take pics fixed less than a week ago) now has rust between the rear window and trunk (pic attached) and my tranny is shuddering like there is no tomorrow when it shifts from 1st to 2nd going up hill (the whole cars shakes).

This is the kind of thing the so-called lemon laws in the US were created for - unfortunately the only thing we have here anywhere close is CAMVAP.

My advice is to document the hell out of everything ... if you haven't already, start writing letters to Ford Canada (make sure to reference US-style Lemon Laws and CAMVAP, - tell them in no uncertain terms what you want - if it was the dealer who helped you get a replacement car in the first place, go back to them and get them to help again.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice that's exactly what I'm doing

Wish me luck
That's not rust. It was a piece of tape that is either still under the paint or was not cleaned before it was painted. We flag cars all the time and put small pieces of tape on them but normally wipe the surface clean before painting. Alcohol wipes are your friend.
The dealer (McAlpine Ford) at first when the whole edge of the trunk lid was bubbling they said it was something with the weld. This one if you look close you can see that its rusty underneath.

(08-02-2013, 10:09 PM)meford4u Wrote: [ -> ]That's not rust. It was a piece of tape that is either still under the paint or was not cleaned before it was painted. We flag cars all the time and put small pieces of tape on them but normally wipe the surface clean before painting. Alcohol wipes are your friend.

The dealer (McAlpine Ford) at first when the whole edge of the trunk lid was bubbling they said it was something with the weld. This one if you look close you can see it rusty underneath.
The dealer is wrong. I work at Ford and have painted vehicles in the plant for 12 years. It's not a weld issue. It's an issue with the undercoat of the paint not being cleaned properly before base and clearcoat.
This is the tip of the trunk lid (forgot to post this pic). The whole bottom edge of the trunk lid was bubbling like that, was fixed then more showed up.

[Image: rdyq.jpg]

[Image: hzdy.jpg]
take it back to ford and demand they fix it, if you bot your car in 2012 then you should be covered Rust or not, that is definitely a paint DEFECT, and defects mean it was caused by human error in the prep/paint process, dealer should cover this.
UPDATE!
So today I stopped by the Dealers body shop to get something I forgot inside the car.
The body shop guy was confirming the spots that I already saw and showed me a new one that I haven't seen it before (If you look at the picture you will see some bubbling). I took pictures send to the dealer got this reply:

I just went over to the bodyshop to inspect the new spot on the vehicle, this spot is not rust and a repair to this area is not required. It is a factory weld and no fault has been found, the bodyshop does not believe this area is cause for concern, otherwise we would most definitely address it while it is there for the other work.
Thank you,

I'm beyond pissed

[Image: 4cxa.jpg]

powermax;4828172 Wrote:My 2012 Focus SE 9000km bought dec. 12 2012 brand new at McAlpine Ford, had a leaking valve cover gasket replaced , paint bubbling on the trunk lid (forgot to take pics fixed less than a week ago) now has rust between the rear window and trunk (pic attached) and my tranny is shuddering like there is no tomorrow when it shifts from 1st to 2nd going up hill (the whole cars shakes).

[Image: rdyq.jpg] [Image: hzdy.jpg]

No more hope

Need help

[Sad!][/QUOTE]
I was thinking to buy a 2014 fiesta ST, I may need to rethink if this is the type of quality...ugh.
(08-07-2013, 12:47 PM)hardk0re Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking to buy a 2014 fiesta ST, I may need to rethink if this is the type of quality...ugh.

I would as well. This car was a big disappointment.
This is a shame to see another defect get passed all the eyes on the line up and the Dealers just brushing it off.
Something seriously needs to be done to help people out in situations like this and other ones too.

I'm currently facing the issue with the F150 Ecoboost motor. Taking it in on Sat.

But I wish you luck and don't sign anything until you see it and are satisfied. That is how they screwed me on my Focus before. Demand to see the car before they shove a piece of paper in your face to sign.