FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Back To Stock Rubber - What To Do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've decided that unless someone gives me a good reason, the stock 16" rims will stay in effect as winter rims at the very least. They're the easiest size to buy winter tires for (and cheapest!) and I obviously already have the TPMS sensors.

If I run the Contis 24/7/365, it's easily the cheapest route. They're not great off-road, so trail crawls will have to be thought out / scouted ahead. They're not winter rubber, but so far driving today has been fine (snowpacked, slushy, wet areas are all good so far).

If I swap winters and Contis back and forth all the time on the stock rims, eventually they're gonna be beat up. If I get a set of winter 16" lightweight rims, I'll need TPMS sensors - possibly more costly than the rims.

I've been re-thinking the offroadability of the truck. It does great in the snow, but that's only snow. Those aren't rocks and drop-offs and other evil s*** that ruins trucks of all types. I might just get some lightweight 17s or 18s, get some sensors and some sport truck rubber and call it a day. Or, another set of 16s with serious off road-geared rubber and try it again.

No matter what, I'll never do used rubber again... no matter how cheap (even free).

Fire away, boys.
Hay Adam there is a place in Brantford that sells factory take off's , rims and tires or just rims. I'll see what they have for a 08 escape. As for me I'm using rims and tires from my 07 as snows, the TMS only beeps when I firts start it and the tire mark stays on...oh well I never had TMS before, I just kick the tires sometimes....Oldschool??
I say wait till spring and throw some big wheels with mudders on there and swap the for Conti's for Winters in the fall.

Edit: Or you could throw some 22"'s on there and pimp it out.

[Image: 2667558_5_full.jpg]
Canadian ST,Jan 8 2009, 03:22 PM Wrote:Hay Adam there is a place in Brantford that sells factory take off's , rims and tires or just rims. I'll see what they have for a 08 escape. As for me I'm using rims and tires from my 07 as snows, the TMS only beeps when I firts start it and the tire mark stays on...oh well I never had TMS before, I just kick the tires sometimes....Oldschool??
[right][snapback]279289[/snapback][/right]

What is the place in brantford called?
^^ Yeah, X2 man.

I'd be interested in some 17s at the right price. Sadly, and I don't know if this should scare me or not, but the optional 17s for the 08+ Escapes are growing on me.

EDIT - LOL @ 22s. :lol: A few guys on Escape-Central.com are running them... if the truck had more power / could make more power (and pull off the look), sure. As it is, I figure 18s are about all you need to "pimp it out"... 20s, max. 22s are just "look at these, steal these" overkill in my mind.
22s look absolutely ghey.
Keep in mind, 2005+ Mustang rims fit... :)

I saw a 1st gen Escape rocking Bullit rims one day. Looked pretty hot!
Mustang rims would indeed be sweet. I wonder what the backspacing difference is with those Bullitt rims?
Not 100% sure on the backspacing but I know they are compatable with the Fusion application as well (I'll be running a set of those in black once the weather warms up... in July at this rate :ph34r: :lol:)

NefCanuck
No s***, eh Dan? Let me know what pricing you get!
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 9 2009, 08:04 PM Wrote:No s***, eh Dan? Let me know what pricing you get!
[right][snapback]279354[/snapback][/right]

I'm sending an email to my Dixie Ford parts guy (who is going to run the Disney World marathon on Sunday, better him than me 42.4KM :ph34r:) and will be getting prices and timelines to the parts I'm after when he gets back

(I want to place the order and time the install so that I can enjoy the changes without having to worry about the white stuff for a while <_<)

NefCanuck

Depending on how money looks in the spring, I was going to see what Ken could find as well.