FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Broken headlight fasener
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. A few days ago I found the right headlight was out on my wagon, and got a new bulb to replace the old one. Thinking that was the problem. However what I found was much worse and I thought I would share what I did to repair it.
HuhThe wire clip had let go from the plastic (abs?) fastening point letting the bulb rub on the plastic portion where the round part fits into the headlight chrome pot. I guess the heat from high beams was too great and the whole right side of the pot melted away, leaving only half the mounting area intact and no place to refasten the clip to hold the bulb in. The bulb had shattered of course.Sad
I of course immediately phone around to find a replacement, but had no luck in my area, but upon examining what was left, I discovered the disadvantage of plastic parts could also be an advantage in repair. So I drilled two holes and screwed in one screw to support the bulb on the melted on side of the pot, and a second screw to act as a clip support.
Total cost of fix, was one new bulb.
I won't know if regular vibrations will shake the fix loose, but so far on a hundred and fourty km trip the fix holds.
So, what do you think? am I just a cheap b-------d or innovative?