FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: advances traction control rear disc's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I recently stumbled upon an 03 zx5 in the junk yard and it had advances traction control with rear discs !
[Image: IMG-20130825-00546_zps09385e9d.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20130825-00547_zps4a910f78.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20130830-00563_zpse65f763d.jpg]

I Picked up everything needed for 50$
[thumb]
What I am wondering is :

-Should I replace bearings or whole rear hub. I don't want to have to replace it after its put on the car. Seemed okay at the junk but dont wanto risk it.
-Is there a way I can test if the pistons works without putting on the car ?
-What are the difference's between SVT and ATC rear discs.
-There is some damage to one of the spindles should I be worried? Thinking of getting it welded ? any thoughts.

[Image: IMG-20130830-00567_zpse5c40d12.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20130830-00566_zps72ce735a.jpg]
(09-03-2013, 05:39 AM)zx3wantobesvt Wrote: [ -> ]Hey everyone,

I recently stumbled upon an 03 zx5 in the junk yard and it had advances traction control with rear discs !

I Picked up everything needed for 50$
[thumb]
What I am wondering is :

-Should I replace bearings or whole rear hub. I don't want to have to replace it after its put on the car. Seemed okay at the junk but dont wanto risk it.
-Is there a way I can test if the pistons works without putting on the car ?
-What are the difference's between SVT and ATC rear discs.
-There is some damage to one of the spindles should I be worried? Thinking of getting it welded ? any thoughts.

Excellent find and excellent price. Yes, you should replace the spindles (less than 30 bucks ea in USA aftermarket) and if it was me I would get new hubs which would give you the bearing installed for almost the same price as the bearing alone - around 40 bucks ea in the US.

As for the caliper you might just try pushing the pistons back in as you would when replacing the pads/rotors - but make sure you use the special rotating tool - just pushing them straight in will damage them for sure.

AFAIK the only difference between the SVT and non SVT rear brakes are the size of the rotor and different caliper brackets - I'm pretty sure the calipers and pads and all the suspension bits are exactly the same.

BTW: if you get reman calipers you can get them with the brackets for the SVT and you can simply install them with your other parts and new SVT rotors and you're good to go.
What site do you use ? I am looking on rockauto, But the svt spindles would work ?
The piston seems to be already pushed in.
I am thinking of just getting the new pieces together slowly and only put it on my next car.sandblast and powder coat caliper and brackets as well when money is there lol.
Ken, has his own suppliers he gets prices and part numbers from. PM him for more info but give him time as he is a very busy person.

The piston should be ok but like Ken said, make sure you have that tool for when you need to change them next time. As they are in now that saves you half the battle.
Yeah ill see if Ken can help me find the parts slowly, went to my local ford stealership and they want 217 for the spindle and 184 for hub each!!.
Scary prices they got there. Those are the only parts they say is available in the whole rear disc set up.
nice find man. that one spindle looks super rough though. deff would replace that give them a quick sand blasting and paint them up and be like new.

also did you end up grabing the e-brake cable? youll need that aswell

ps looks like thats a kenny u-pull yard?