FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Great advise Flofocus > Iron-X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the last year I've noticed more and more little orange/red spots on my white MKX. I asked Flofocus for some advise and he mentioned a product called Iron-X. After some research I decided to purchase a small bottle from eshine.ca for just under $30 shipped to my door.

On the label it states to use in well ventilated area. If your going to spray this stuff make sure you do it outside. It smells horrible, but you can't use it in direct sun light so I started as soon as the sun went down. I gave the MKX a good wash and dry. Then I went to town with the spray, after about 3 minutes you can see the clear spray take colour and literally remove the spots with no effort.

[Image: IRONX2_zps12262f36.jpeg]

[Image: IRONX_zps381d6c2c.jpeg]

After that I used a sponge to wipe down the body. Then a quick rinse with the hose.

And poof all the spots are gone.

I parked it in the garage over night and when I opened the garage door in the morning the strong odour was back. The following night I left it outside and 2 days after that the smell is out of my garage and no longer lingering on the vehicle. It is definitely some strong stuff. I could see someone passing out if you tried this in a closed garage.
Nice work!

I have dealt with this many times in the past. One was my mothers Ford Five Hundred. The dealer (Colony) sent it out. They didn't know what it was and tried buffing the s**t out of it. Ended up burning the paint in several places then claimed that I was seeing things when trying to show them... (Dru I really loveeee Colony Ford lol)

Anyway, Just give it a good wash. Use a high quality Claybar and Spray wax (not the Maguire's version) then buff it with some whirl free polish and finishing pads.

The problem is called "Fallout". Usually happens from being on the rails. Trains apply brakes and the sparks enter the clear coat of the paint. It can also be cause by someone in a shop grinding on metal next to your car too. Little specks of rust develop.
Nice I'm going to have to try this stuff...

My Mazda5 has little orange spots all over that almost look like rust, but on the plastic panels too

I think it has to be an issue with the paint Ford and Mazda use, mine is a white metallic too

Edit: I should have read Scorcher's post, that makes way more sense as my car would have been train shipped from Japan>BC>Ont. but not for Dru's as his was built here in Oakville Ont.
The MKX is a US car so It was transported up here some how. But I've also heard of fallout happening from your brakes.
fallout is caused by your brakes. most brake pads and rotors have iron particles that fly up in the air each time the brakes are applied. this dust is hot and "burns" into the paint, add water/moisture and now that iron is rusting to the paint.

yes, ironx reeks but it works.

no problem dru - anytime you want my 2 cents on car detailing topics, shoot me an email to nate@natescarcare.ca
I just used a clay bar and wax to get rid of the orange spots on my Oxford White Focus. If it is caused by brake residue how does it get all over the car including the roof!
that's time consuming and unecessary. ironx is sprayed on, then rinsed off. can't get any easier than that. that is, if all you're trying to do is remove the fallout.

and its not just brake dust from your own vehicle, but from the ones braking in front of you, beside you, etc.
Also worth checking out, from the same mfg, is Tri-X. Works almost as well on the industrial fallout but also does a fantastic job dissolving tar, sap, bug residue, etc.

For both products, make sure you rinse REALLY well and protect (wax, sealant, etc.) after, it's pretty harsh stuff.

-George

P.S. - Be careful with those clay bars, you can do more damage than good.