FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: First E Test In Almost 20 Years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think the first/last time I went for E Test was in '94 or something like that.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you focuscanadaites.
Nothing other than the common sense basics

Do everything, inculding lube, oil, filter (incl air filter) and arrive with the car warmed up (within 10 minutes of the schedulded appt. time)

NefCanuck
it doesn't cost 700.00 dollars to fix a code 491.
Thanks guys.
Well my van if iffy on passing sometimes (temperamental) (1991 Ford Aerostar 4.0L with 463,700km)

if I do nothing its a definite Fail with CH PPM to high on Idle
I usually fill with Silver (Petro Canada), give it a full tuneup, replace the Thermostat and reset the computer then run the freakin hell out of it (140kph+) down sideroads for a half hour drive to blow out the crud and carbon buildup then take it to the Emissions test and it passes perfectly

But generally speaking most cars all they need is a full tuneup new fuel filter, Silver grade Fuel and Etests are easily passed

heres a question how did you get away without e-tests for 20 years O.o every 2 years I have to take the cars in even if I renew for 5 years and even my 07 cars need e-tests o.O
In Ontario you are not required to get an E-test on a car until it reaches the 5 year mark.

-George

*Edit* - That is to say, once the car is 5 years old. You'll still need to do it every other year.
Just got back and the wagon passed with 0 on every reading. What a waste of money and fuel.

She's an '04 so this is the first time it's needed one. My Marauder will be due in the fall.

This is the longest we've kept a car since the E Test thing started. My only other test was with my '89 Civic Si winter beater and only had that checked once.
O.o weird then i got screwed LOL..
My sis's 03 Jag was taken mid 07 and is due this year
and my other workvan which is a 06 I bought from ford after the lease was up had to go... ( wasn't my lease but I has a inside scoop of it being returned and being a cheap buy)

shrugs eh the government needs there overhead splurging money I guess
I think the first test is 5 years from new for original owner and then every two years after.
CanadaSVT,Jan 8 2009, 10:21 AM Wrote:I think the first test is 5 years from new for original owner and then every two years after.
[right][snapback]279264[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm... that I have no idea about. I'd never considered that they might screw you over if you bought it used but it was still under 5 years. I could see the government doing that. :)

-George
Yes, I actually checked, the five year exemption is for the original owner of the vehicle only. Once the car is transferred to another unrelated party, it gets sniffered to do the transfer, even within the 5 year exemption.

NefCanuck