FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Sputtering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was on my way home today and it's raining really hard, streets are pretty flooded being a warm day and some of the snow melting mixed with lots of rain and my car started sputtering and stalling out a few times. I had a hard time accelerating as it would sputter a lot. I'm guessing I must of hit a good puddle since I have a K&N CAI and maybe some water got inside to my O2 sensor? Will the problem correct itself from my car sitting over night and hopefully it drys out and not freezes? Does this do any damaged to my engine as I had a strong smell from my exhaust when I got home?
Check the MAF and wiring to see if you ingested any water, clean the MAF either way. I'm not sure if hydrolocking can easily be diagnosed or not.

Do you have a bypass filter of any kind?
If water got into your MAF it could have gotten into your engine, Is it still under warrenty? I would put on the stock air box and take it to the dealership and remember....standing water IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. If you dont have the stock air box let me know, I've got one sitting in my basement you can have.
Yeah, sounds like you got some water in the CAI. What kind of filter do you have on it? One of these can help you a lot: http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm. If its a k&N, it should be well oiled for this kind of weather.

with the amount of snow and rain we've been getting this year, I would change the intake back to stock specs to be honest...its not a big job and saves you the hassle of dealing with this all winter long.

If you cant, suggest you take the intake apart and give a good cleaning to your MAF. Oil change would be a good idea also.

you can buy maf cleaner, i use sensor safe brake cleaner for it though and never had an issue.
Yah the car seems to be running ok now, since the warm weather is gone and we're back to freezing weather. Was just a couple crazy warm days with too much water on the roads with huge puddles everywhere. I have a net over the filter, just that black one that comes with it, those ones on the web page you linked look like better ones though so I may check em out. I've driven the car on rainy days before and never had a problem, it's just been some nasty weather the past couple, hopefully we won't get too many more of them and I'll be sure to stay out of the right lanes so I don't hit the puddles.
Is this net the same as a bypass filter though? You may want to consider a bypass filter if this happened... or swapping the CAI with the stock airbox in the winter.
Check your spark plug wells for water, it is a long shot, but might as well check it out as well...

Are there any check engine lights?
FocalSpeed,Jan 5 2009, 03:12 PM Wrote:Check your spark plug wells for water, it is a long shot, but might as well check it out as well...

Are there any check engine lights?
[right][snapback]279071[/snapback][/right]

Ah yes....forgot about that one to. i had that exact issue...well it was a combo...

I had some wires going to my coil pack that were falling apart. Also had about an inch of water inside my spark plug chambers...

check this thread out for more details...

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12957