FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Would Cause This?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideas what would cause a Battery Cover to melt? Not my car, but someone else I know who has a Focus, 2001 Zetec.
First thing that comes to mind is the battery "gassing" but I didn't think the gasses were corrosive (unless because they were trapped under the battery cover :huh:)

NefCanuck
oldeguy,Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM Wrote:Any ideas what would cause a Battery Cover to melt? Not my car, but someone else I know who has a Focus, 2001 Zetec.
[right][snapback]278694[/snapback][/right]
Would overcharging the battery heat it to the point where it could melt plastic? Something amiss in the charging circuit perhaps.
A battery with can internal short an get pretty hot. I burnt my hand on my red top optima when this happened. Do you smell eggs sometimes in your car? And not just when you fart... :P

I still doubt it could melt plastic but you never know..
hardk0re,Dec 23 2008, 11:52 AM Wrote:A battery with can internal short an get pretty hot.  I burnt my hand on my red top optima when this happened.  Do you smell eggs sometimes in your car?  And not just when you fart... :P

I still doubt it could melt plastic but you never know..
[right][snapback]278702[/snapback][/right]
My car always smells like rotten eggs, due to my age :lol: :lol:
It isn't my car, it's someone at my work. I thought it was unusual for a battery cover to melt.
yeah.....they should get that checked out. :lol:
oldeguy,Dec 23 2008, 11:49 AM Wrote:My car always smells like rotten eggs, due to my age :lol:  :lol: [right][snapback]278706[/snapback][/right]
You should get THAT checked too. :lol:
OAC_Sparky,Dec 23 2008, 02:55 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Dec 23 2008, 11:49 AM Wrote:My car always smells like rotten eggs, due to my age :lol:  :lol: [right][snapback]278706[/snapback][/right]
You should get THAT checked too. :lol:
[right][snapback]278714[/snapback][/right]
Did. Told to stay away from certain foods, or buy a Convertible.
My moms ZX5 had a melted spot on the cover before she bought it but from what it looks like I think someone opened it and put it on the header shield
hmm sounds like that issue that prompted the recall for the battery cables awhile ago
oldeguy,Dec 23 2008, 09:08 AM Wrote:Any ideas what would cause a Battery Cover to melt? Not my car, but someone else I know who has a Focus, 2001 Zetec.
[right][snapback]278694[/snapback][/right]

Was the battery ever dropped then re-installed? Cracked cell?
Overcharging.

Check the regulator in the alternator.

Then have another beer.
Well my negetive post so extremly hot all the time when runing though I have to issues with any of the electrical. And my cover sat and touched the terminals too. But I took mine off and scrap it.