FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Winners & Loosers Of 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Winners & Losers of 2008
Source: Leftlanenews
Dec.22.08

The year isn’t quite over yet, but it’s close enough to ring the final bell on the winners and loser of 2008. This year was tumultuous, to say the least, with the industry first struggling through record high gas prices and then a complete collapse of the new car market. But despite the ups and down, auto sales seemed to have leveled out on the whole, with only a few surprises on either list.

We’ll start with the winners. Despite $4 gas, the Ford F-150 retained its top spot on the list – where it has been for the last 27 years — selling almost 474,000 units through the first 11 months of the year. The F-150 was followed by Chevrolet’s full-size pickup, the Silverado, which managed to find a home with 431,000 buyers through November, according to Forbes.

The next three sports were filled by vehicles that reflected that $4 a gallon gas period, the Toyota Camry and the Honda Civic and Accord, respectively.

Not surprisingly, the fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla/Matrix took the number six spot with 328,000 sales, followed by Nissan’s Altima with just over 250,000 sales. The Chevy Impala, Dodge Ram and Ford Focus rounded out the top 10.

This year’s biggest loser was the Hyundai Entourage, which found only 5,400 buyers – a 67 percent drop from the same period last year. The relatively unknown Mitsubishi Endeavor wound up in only 5,700 driveways, while the fuel-chugging Hummer H2 managed to find 5,721 buyers.

Chrysler’s lame duck Pacifica took home the title of the 4th worst-selling car of 2008 – with 6,200 sales – followed by the Nissan Armada, Hummer H3 and Dodge Durango. The GMC Envoy, Jeep Commander and Toyota FJ Cruiser rounded out the best of the worst for 2008.
Lol,

i didnt even know that Hyundai made a car(or w/e it is) named Entourage. And a Mitsu endeavor? may to go crappy marketing for not reaching your audience.

(unless they are US only models, then that would explain it a bit)
no wonder FJ Cruiser was one of the worst, have you seen one before? 0_0
thenorm,Dec 23 2008, 01:19 AM Wrote:Lol,

i didnt even know that Hyundai made a car(or w/e it is) named Entourage. And a Mitsu endeavor?  may to go crappy marketing for not reaching your audience.

(unless they are US only models, then that would explain it a bit)
[right][snapback]278689[/snapback][/right]
Entourage is the minivan for Hyundai. The only good Mitsu is the Lancer Evo
The Entourage is a pretty nice van actually. What makes allot of people weary and turn away is the electric steering which feels like your really disconnected from the road.
i like the fj :blink:
I also like the Fj but everyone in that market is driving a Jeep and I also didn't know that hyundai made a van
My Brother In-Law bought a Pacifica. I call it his Big Chick Truck. I think I am going to buy him a Celine Dion CD for Christmas. :lol:
I see FJs all the time around town - there's one about 5 doors down from us, actually. There are about 5-6 distinct ones that I can think of - at least two radio stations use them as their "fleet" vehicles.

Maybe North Bay leads their sales charge? :D
The pacifica's definitely a chick truck, i have 3 different smoke’n chicks that own these in my neighborhood, 2 white one's and a black one (trucks). Its a good lookin truck, i dont mind it. Next time you see one, peak inside..........you’ll thank me:)