FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: No clutch actuation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so - my clutch doesn't work anymore.

No visible leaks, brake fluid is between the min/max lines. I feel no pressure in the clutch pedal either.

It all happened while I was driving. I did slam the brakes and maybe the clutch in (not sure though, left leg goes into auto-pilot mode while driving so I don't have specific recollection of me pushing it in, I just assume that I did) at the same time around the time it happened but I expect that to be somewhat unrelated.

So... yeah, I'm not really sure where to go with this. Is there anything I can do before hand to get a good look and see what could be it?

I'm guessing slave cylinder. I'm hoping that's not the case... but that's my guess.
Sure sounds like slave cylinder to me - - too bad you're not in the area, I always have a couple of inexpensive US ones on the shelf.

(09-19-2013, 12:31 AM)Mystake Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so - my clutch doesn't work anymore.

No visible leaks, brake fluid is between the min/max lines. I feel no pressure in the clutch pedal either.

It all happened while I was driving. I did slam the brakes and maybe the clutch in (not sure though, left leg goes into auto-pilot mode while driving so I don't have specific recollection of me pushing it in, I just assume that I did) at the same time around the time it happened but I expect that to be somewhat unrelated.

So... yeah, I'm not really sure where to go with this. Is there anything I can do before hand to get a good look and see what could be it?

I'm guessing slave cylinder. I'm hoping that's not the case... but that's my guess.
Check master, sounds like it could of snapped the rod too
Sounds like master to me also. Plus it's easier to replace
simple check: attempt to bleed the clutch system. if you have little/no pressure coming out of the bleeder, you know the master is cooked.
The clutch master is a pretty simple check, they are also prone for failure in these cars for some reason. I noticed mine was going then my floormat started getting slippery. Got under the dash and the seal had gone and was leaking. I would start there for sure. You'll be glad if it is that. Simple cheap fix. $60-70 and about 30 Mins to do the job.
Hey folks - update:

I had the car towed to my usual guys, Canadian Tire on Carling. The same tech who's been working on my focus for the last few years diagnosed the issue as being the clutch and I was quoted R&R on the trans, a new clutch and getting the flywheel machined. I was told something something about how the clutch was not disengaging all the way.

Now... I'm still kinda ehh about it being "the clutch" and I still think it's likely the slave cylinder but the end result is the same; the trans is coming out and I'm going the whole 9 yards with this.

So, what clutch should I get? I called CFM and they recommended the clutch masters stage 3, FX300. The car will continue to see frequent use in the next few years at autocross and I will be registering for more lapping schools. I hope to one day see ~300hp so I am trying to keep that in mind when selecting a clutch.

As for the flywheel, how bad is the chatter with our cars if I were to go aluminum? Are there other options? I might as well change the one that's in the car, it'll cost me 75$ to machine it through CT and since it'll all be apart may as well.

Thanks everyone.
I went to a lightened flywheel on my old focus when I was supercharged. I had issues with it stalling out constantly. For that reason alone I would say go with a regular flywheel and a nice clutch. The chatter was also annoying, it sounded broken at a red light. The FX300 is a good clutch.

If you auto-X and will stay non boosted, you may want to look into the ford racing 4.06 final drive.
Is the chatter that bad? I usually drive with music on and the windows up anyway.
it only bugged me at lights with the windows down in the summer, but its just a bit of a chatter, its not too bad. I used to get odd looks from people when I pulled up next to them, I guess it sounded like my car was broken...
Which flywheel did you have?
My setup was: Focussport flywheel-(iirc same as fidenza), spec stage 3 clutch, torsen T2 LSD, 4.06 gearing

Other than the chatter loved that setup. I was boosted but the 4.06 gearing was fun
Right on, I ended up going with an exedy stage 2 and an aasco flywheel.

If the chatter is so bad, I will do the trans next summer instead of something else and take the flywheel out then.
i was recommend by bully clutch to stay a stock flywheel.. glad i did i have drews old clutch stage 4 6 puck..s**t grabs hard
Ive read many many issues about people putting in a lightweight flywheel and having stalling issues. There are two things to lightening up the flywheel. The inertia that was kept up from the heavy stock one, gooone! You now need to make up for that with a little more juice from the gas pedal. The other thing is tuning: ive had a lightweight flywheel initially stalling was a bit of an issue, I would push in the clutch at any RPM range and it would fall flat on its face. Nothing can be done but tuning at this point. I have also ran that recalibrated tune with a stock flywheel and its funny how much RPM hangs up now compared to a regular tune. If you are worried about the chattering at a light its not really terrible for how much fun your car becomes Smile

Just something to keep in mind. A little tuning and getting used to and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for posting, I knew about the stalling issue and I've thought about getting my tune updated I just haven't talked to fswerks yet but I will. I'll probably PM them right now actually... so thanks for the reminder haha.
Fswerks suggested my tune doesnt need an update, so i guess ill see how the car feels before i go changing anything
When I had mine done my car ran mint, no issues after flywheel, ran terrible. I did have to raise idle to 1300rpm to keep the engine running. But I think the early FS flywheels were way too light.
AFAIK the aasco flywheel is between 10 to 11lbs. Other ones like the Fidanza were 9.0lbs or around there. I know it's not much weight but there wasn't anything else that I could find that was in the 11-15lbs range. That and I got the clutch and flywheel for cheaper locally then online+shipping.
IIRC those with slightly heavier flywheels, but lighter than stock had less drastic issues. I also had the drag of the supercharger to make things worse. I think you'll be fine..